We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

What game are you playing?

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

wndrbr wrote: April 26th, 2024, 08:14
Would've been even better if those enemy types were intermixed, for example you had to fight a tanky cyborg who tries to shield his weakspots while a ranged enemy harasses you from above.
While I agree with you, I don't think RE games usually do this. I think only RE4 routinely mixed melee and ranged enemies (and even then, it limited it to the ganados), while the rest clearly sectioned off different enemies to particular locales, or even specific rooms.

It's no excuse that Capcom has failed to iterate on combat encounters in RE games, but at least I can say it's not something unique to more recent RE games.
Cedric

Post by Cedric »

I'm still working on the VNs but mostly I'm playing:

Metal Gear Solid PSX
King's Field 1 (JP) PSX
Balatro (PC)

I'm hoping to do all the King's Field games. Seem like my cup of tea.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

gerey wrote: April 26th, 2024, 07:49
I never had this issues in Village, the inventory is so large that I never had any issues cramming all my weapons, grenades, ammo, healing items etc. It's basically a superfluous mechanic, about the only thing it does is to use up your money.
Moneysinks aren't superfluous. The money you spend on upgrading your inventory is money you can't spend on upgrading your weapons and consumables.
wndrbr wrote: April 26th, 2024, 08:14
cyborgs all behave mostly the same, they just get more HP or maybe deal more damage if you let one to get close.
The difference is in how you can fight them. The haulers you can just shoot normally, the drillers who have that glowing thing in their chest that's usually covered with their arms, the drillers who have it on their back that require you to stun them first so you can get to it, and the ones covered in armor that have to be blown up first. Also the propeller boss.
krokodil
Turtle
Turtle

Post by krokodil »

Back to playing FROGMONSTER again.. Finally beat a boss that was giving me trouble and made me stop playing for a couple weeks, I'm near the end and thought it was one of the bosses I needed to kill to get a key for the final boss door but turns out it was optional and gave me a pretty good gun upgrade so that's nice... Now that I've finally conquered him I am back to exploring
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Playing The Callisto Protocol.

This game is an absolute garbage tbh.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

wndrbr wrote: April 29th, 2024, 08:09
Playing The Callisto Protocol.

This game is an absolute garbage tbh.
finished it, took me 14 hours with the story DLC.
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by wndrbr on April 30th, 2024, 13:41, edited 2 times in total.
Cogemeister

Post by Cogemeister »

SiMtRy wrote: December 13th, 2023, 13:32

Currently playing Quasimorph after putting it on hold for a while. i stumbled into the game a few years back when i was looking for roguelikes to play, but saw that the overall rating on the game was mixed. recently it had a big content update and reception towards the game seems to have been better over all.

the game plays similarly like DoomRL or its successor, Jupiter Hell. Basic Premise of the game is that you're a PMC Corporation that runs jobs around the planetary system by other big corpos.
I'm not too far into the game my self but the game offers a wide variety of guns, melee weapons, grenades, and gadgets. There's also the name of the game it self, quasimorph(osis) in which like a disease you have where the more infected you are to the disease, you can open up rifts/portals for demons to enter from.

Movement mechanic is interesting, you have 3 movemennt choices:
1. Stealth : you move only 1 time a turn but you can detect enemies nearby.
2. Normal : You can move 2 times a turn, you can also move once and shoot (you basically get 2 action points in a single turn, use it however you will)
3. Run : you can move 3 action points to spend but you cannot access your inventory,

There are a few types of missions you can get in the game which are nice to mix things up in a while. You can also trade items with colonies/cities in each planet. the economy works on a barter system so you don't really get money. you just give the item they needd and they will trade you a few items for it (guns, meds, food, etc.)

TLDR : its a fun game.
Have you played it at all recently?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

I was gifted VTM Redemption and I'm enjoying it. Main critique is the poor camera controls.

I died to the first boss.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 1st, 2024, 12:58
I was gifted VTM Redemption and I'm enjoying it. Main critique is the poor camera controls.

Apparently the resolution doesn't expand but just stretch, so my guy is extra chonk in that screenshot. Had to use dgvoodoo to force 1920x1440 4:3
Anon

Post by Anon »

There's a current vtm redemption restoration project to make it in unity (would be similar to VTMB1 in graphics)

No idea when it'll be released (some years according to the developer) but I'm waiting for it to get into the game (I tried it some times but couldn't get past the jank)
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

The game was designed using qeradiant and you can tell, the levels are well done. Modern kitbashing/blockout style level development just doesn't have the same feel.
Anon

Post by Anon »

The initial dungeons at least looked like absolute ass. If you're saying later on the graphics get better I could consider giving the game another shot...
Last edited by Anon on May 1st, 2024, 15:03, edited 1 time in total.
Red7

Post by Red7 »

Anon wrote: May 1st, 2024, 14:37

There's a current vtm redemption restoration project to make it in unity (would be similar to VTMB1 in graphics)

No idea when it'll be released (some years according to the developer) but I'm waiting for it to get into the game (I tried it some times but couldn't get past the jank)
that looks awesome
is it out/in public beta?

i read its in skyrim engine i could probably bring my fuckmeat follower along
Last edited by Red7 on May 1st, 2024, 18:43, edited 1 time in total.
Anon

Post by Anon »

Red7 wrote: May 1st, 2024, 18:26

that looks awesome
is it out/in public beta?

i read its in skyrim engine i could probably bring my fuckmeat follower along
Nope, and it'll still take some years at least to be released, it's a single developer and he's doing it at his own pace.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

stopped my KOTOR 2 playthrough cos the game is just too fucking boring. (i already played it when it originally came out).

currently trying to get through Eiyuden Chronicles: Hundred Heroes but finding myself bored with it as well. Mainly just kinda wasting time playing Halo multiplayer and RDR2 online, waiting for something to grab my attention.

was thinking of installing Manor Lords since it's on game pass, will probably do that once i chug this red bull.
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

aweigh wrote: May 1st, 2024, 19:24
currently trying to get through Eiyuden Chronicles: Hundred Heroes but finding myself bored with it as well.
Same. I lost interest 11 hours in, after I got the castle. Went back to playing World of Warcraft Dragonflight and Granblue Fantasy Relink. I'd like to come back and finish Eiyuden Chronicle, but it just hasn't been gripping me like the last few JRPGs I played. I don't have a burning desire to look forward to my next play session. I don't think it's bad as I haven't uninstalled it and still intend to finish it, it's just not super gripping.

I think my main issue with Eiyuden is that it is kinda boring. I am playing on hard difficulty but the combat is very easy. I have never been in danger of wiping or a game over. I have only had three KOs thus far and then I immediately rezzed my downed party members. Plot wise there is little tension. No one has died yet, no towns have been wiped off of the face of the earth, etc. Contrast that with S1 or even S2 where bad stuff was happening that I wanted to stop and I felt compelled to take down the villains, and I wanted to find out what would happen next. Sure, Suikoden 4 had problems, but at least it had the unique island archipelago and sailing thing going for it, and people were dying left and right from the get go. Eiyuden feels really bland.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

Val the Moofia Boss wrote: May 1st, 2024, 20:40
I think my main issue with Eiyuden is that it is kinda boring.
yeah it's just so fucking boring and predictable.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Anon wrote: May 1st, 2024, 15:02
The initial dungeons at least looked like absolute ass. If you're saying later on the graphics get better I could consider giving the game another shot...

On another note, playing the game kinda makes my arm hurt because the mouse is oversensitive(I think?) and I have to be very precise in my movement. I'll see if I can diagnose why it's causing this tomorrow.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 1st, 2024, 22:31
On another note, playing the game kinda makes my arm hurt because the mouse is oversensitive(I think?) and I have to be very precise in my movement. I'll see if I can diagnose why it's causing this tomorrow.
PCGamingWiki says mouse movement is inconsistent and offers a fix, though I don't know whether it's Linux-compatible.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

There's a current vtm redemption restoration project, no idea when it'll be released
Never.
Anon

Post by Anon »

wndrbr wrote: May 2nd, 2024, 00:59
There's a current vtm redemption restoration project, no idea when it'll be released
Never.
He seems committed to his work, I have hope.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

There's something very strange about how this game handles resolution which messes up mouse controls making them all extremely overly sensitive. It treats the window as a small(960x540?) window no matter what for purposes of mouse controls. Can't seem to find a way to fix this.

So much broken software because people refuse to release the source code :/
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on May 2nd, 2024, 09:51, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

First time I might have to quit playing a game because playing it physically causes me pain. The extremely sensitive mouse controls mean I have to keep making precise movements and it's hurting my arm after extended(~30m) periods. If I try lowering the DPI, it has some weird mouse smoothing that makes it near unusable.
I was enjoying it, too.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on May 3rd, 2024, 01:29, edited 1 time in total.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 3rd, 2024, 01:28
First time I might have to quit playing a game because playing it physically causes me pain. The extremely sensitive mouse controls mean I have to keep making precise movements and it's hurting my arm after extended(~30m) periods. If I try lowering the DPI, it has some weird mouse smoothing that makes it near unusable.
I was enjoying it, too.
PCGW suggests this for "inconsistent mouse movement". Not sure if that's the exact issue you're having.

https://github.com/elishacloud/dinputto8/releases
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Oyster Sauce wrote: May 3rd, 2024, 01:40
I was enjoying it, too.
PCGW suggests this for "inconsistent mouse movement". Not sure if that's the exact issue you're having.

I tried it and it was the same. Might be some obscure wine issue, but I see a lot of people complained about mouse issues so who knows.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 3rd, 2024, 01:41
Oyster Sauce wrote: May 3rd, 2024, 01:40
I was enjoying it, too.

I tried it and it was the same. Might be some obscure wine issue, but I see a lot of people complained about mouse issues so who knows.
Read elsewhere that mouse acceleration causes the game to feel fucky, but I assume you've tried that
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

There's a mod on nexusmods for using a controller I might try out, presumably it would be much easier on my arm
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

aweigh wrote: May 1st, 2024, 20:49
Val the Moofia Boss wrote: May 1st, 2024, 20:40
I think my main issue with Eiyuden is that it is kinda boring.
yeah it's just so fucking boring and predictable.
I made it about as far as Val did before getting bored with it. I wouldn't call it terrible, it's just patently mediocre.

I lost interest in the story almost immediately, you have a snotty girl-boss falling into a predictable stereotype where they seethe at confident men with power, and when she gets into trouble she pushes responsibility off onto a man to lead.