What game are you playing?

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
Zoner

Post by Zoner »

WoW classic era casually. I picked a dead server, so it's more of a wasteland experience.

Also, Dreams in the Witch House, which so far has been excellent. Can't go wrong for 10 bucks.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Played Siege Survival: Gloria Victis for a couple hours. It's alright. If you get into a death spiral you might as well restart though, as you're just going to get more complications piled on by events.
Gets repetitive though, not enough mechanics.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Put Infra Arcana on the backburner. Even having won once I can't seem to make it past Depth 12 with a non-Rogue. Not to say that I think the game unfair: I see the mistakes that lead to my downfall, it's just less forgiving now.

Now I'm playing Fae Tactics:

Really fun tactics game with an excellent soundtrack and art. There's some RPG DNA but not too much. There's XP but it's mostly shared, so unused units don't lag that far behind. Levelling up gets your leader units points to distribute in one of Attack, Defense, or Utility (the exact effects are unique to the unit in question), but points may be redistributed at any time between battles. Equipment-wise each leader unit has a weapon slot, a utility slot, and a mysterious third I have yet to unlock. Weapons are again unique to each leader and can change how they play quite a bit, offering different abilities, stats, and elemental alignment. Summoned units also level up but have no customization options.

The main thing is deciding what units to bring to a battle. You can field three leader units and up to three summoned units, although there's a capacity system for summons with each taking up a different amount of capacity, so right now I can only field three of them by sticking to the lowest tier ones. Deciding which to take is really important not only for their unique abilities but also for their elemental alignments: elemental attacks made against an opponent vulnerable to that element are automatically criticals, which generally do not happen randomly. Unsurprisingly, elemental attacks made against a resistant enemy are weak.

Ability design is really interesting in this game. It seems the developer was aiming for maximum elegance while still giving units multiple abilities. Consequently there are no action menus in combat. Clicking on the ground moves you there; clicking on an enemy does an attack; clicking on an ally does an assist; clicking on the unit itself does a wait ability. Those are the basics, but you also quickly unlock ultra attacks and assists, which can be used after a leader unit fills his ultra meter and happen automatically when you would do the normal version of that action. Each unit has a unique combination of abilities. Some are shared across all members of their elemental alignment, others not.

There's more I could say, but at this point I've accidentally gone into effortpost territory and I should really save it for a separate thread.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

WhiteShark wrote: February 19th, 2023, 03:46
Now I'm playing Fae Tactics:
How puzzley is it? The impression I had when I tried it out a couple of years ago was that the maps were good, and characters had pretty decent ability options, but it felt like the devs were trying to push every battle into "this is the only correct way to win". If I was mistaken about that I'd be very happy because the foundation seemed pretty good.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Acrux wrote: February 19th, 2023, 03:53
How puzzley is it? The impression I had when I tried it out a couple of years ago was that the maps were good, and characters had pretty decent ability options, but it felt like the devs were trying to push every battle into "this is the only correct way to win". If I was mistaken about that I'd be very happy because the foundation seemed pretty good.
Hm, I haven't really gotten that feeling at all, and I'm playing on Hard. Maybe it will feel more restrictive later on but right now I feel free to employ whatever tactics I see ift. The very early levels are pretty prescriptive and tutorialish, so maybe that's where you got that impression.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

I finished Fire Emblem Engage a couple of days ago and it was ok. I still think Three Houses is the best in the series. I've moved on the Spider-Man Miles Morales which is actually pretty decent. I've always enjoyed games that let you swing around a city as spidey. Non-Newtonian Mods are a must for wiping out some of the poz.
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

I've been playing Elex 2. I'm about 8hrs into it and I've already gotten bored with it. I've heard a bunch of people on codex simp for Piranha Bites games, but I'm not seeing the appeal here? Everything about the game is just really basic, and unoriginal. I tried Elex 1 some years back, but the performance/optimization was too bad to make it worth playing, and I don't think I played it for 30 minutes before uninstalling it. Elex 2 at least runs consistent 60fps with the DX12 launcher.
Gregz
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gregz »

somerandomdude wrote: February 20th, 2023, 02:02
I've heard a bunch of people on codex simp for Piranha Bites games, but I'm not seeing the appeal here?
Pole's gonna pole.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

I've heard a bunch of people on codex simp for Piranha Bites games, but I'm not seeing the appeal here?
Maybe because you are playing what is probably the worst game they have ever made? Even Gothic 3 and Risen 2 and 3 were all better.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

i didn't play elex 2, but from what i've heard it's the worst Piranha Bytes outing so far. Try playing Gothic and Gothic 2 + NotR, that's peak PB gameplay here.
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

Gastrick wrote: February 12th, 2023, 17:05
Have been playing the first Diablo, and it's a really fun and addictive game. Played a bit of it before, but for some reason stopped playing. Did melee fighter last time, and wanted to do a ranged character instead this time. Sorceror is a nigger here, but would rather play him than a woman (if those are the only options). Making sure only to save in towns to increase the tension. The lighting is pretty well done here, with how dark the dungeon appears.
You don't have to play as a nigger to be a mage in D1. The different characters only effect starting stats, and starting gear. You can turn the warrior into a mage, or vice versa. Those starting warrior stats aren't a total loss on a mage either, because you still want stats for weapons and armor. A few floors in and after getting a few levels, you'll have plenty of spell books and stat points to make the White guy a mage.
Fedora Master
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Fedora Master »

I've been fiddling around with Fabled Lands but it's honestly pretty garbage. Classes barely matter, no party members and constant unpreventable and unpredictable RNG deaths.
Gastrick
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gastrick »

somerandomdude wrote: February 20th, 2023, 16:11
Have been playing the first Diablo, and it's a really fun and addictive game. Played a bit of it before, but for some reason stopped playing. Did melee fighter last time, and wanted to do a ranged character instead this time. Sorceror is a nigger here, but would rather play him than a woman (if those are the only options). Making sure only to save in towns to increase the tension. The lighting is pretty well done here, with how dark the dungeon appears.
You don't have to play as a nigger to be a mage in D1. The different characters only effect starting stats, and starting gear. You can turn the warrior into a mage, or vice versa. Those starting warrior stats aren't a total loss on a mage either, because you still want stats for weapons and armor. A few floors in and after getting a few levels, you'll have plenty of spell books and stat points to make the White guy a mage.
It says that his magic is capped at 50.

I'm sure with equipment you could increase it to 60 or 65, but regardless that means a lot less mana and you can only increase spell levels so far.

Also that he gets much less mana per level:

compared to sorcerer:

somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

Gastrick wrote: February 20th, 2023, 17:06
somerandomdude wrote: February 20th, 2023, 16:11
It says that his magic is capped at 50.

I'm sure with equipment you could increase it to 60 or 65, but regardless that means a lot less mana and you can only increase spell levels so far.

Also that he gets much less mana per level:

compared to sorcerer:

It's been years since I played it, but I remember warrior being perfectly serviceable with spells. You can find equipment with up to +30 in 1 stat, and +20 in all stats. It's also possible to find weapons with mana leech and modifiers with +mana. It's not terribly hard to get gear in Diablo 1, because the modifier pools have far fewer possibilities.
Gastrick
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gastrick »

Found something funny in Morrowind (or at least seemed so while playing).

At the beginning of the game now, where even 1-gold iron arrows are too expensive. Was doing the mage guild's questline and one of the quests is some womens' drama over vain nonsense, that you need to steal the real less-soul-gem from the enchantress's desk and replace it with a fake one. She moves downstairs so you don't need to sneak to be seen. There's 8 soul gems just lying on the desk, one worth 6000 gold, and another worth 60,000 gold, so I just stole them all and won't be having money problems for a while. Because of the way the best shopkeeper only keep 5000 gold at a time, I had to settle for 15,000 gold for all of them.
Maggot

Post by Maggot »

Gastrick wrote: February 20th, 2023, 17:26
Found something funny in Morrowind (or at least seemed so while playing).

At the beginning of the game now, where even 1-gold iron arrows are too expensive. Was doing the mage guild's questline and one of the quests is some womens' drama over vain nonsense, that you need to steal the real less-soul-gem from the enchantress's desk and replace it with a fake one. She moves downstairs so you don't need to sneak to be seen. There's 8 soul gems just lying on the desk, one worth 6000 gold, and another worth 60,000 gold, so I just stole them all and won't be having money problems for a while. Because of the way the best shopkeeper only keep 5000 gold at a time, I had to settle for 15,000 gold for all of them.
You gotta try and get as close to value with each sold item by also buying goods from the shopkeeper then waiting for the price to reset to then sell back those goods you bought. Step up your jew game.
BlueMemphis
Turtle
Turtle

Post by BlueMemphis »

Bought most of the Yakuza games during the steam winter sale and am going to dip my toes into them soon, but first felt nostalgic for another game the yakuza crew made: Binary Domain.

Still holds up and is great fun, shame it didn't sell well enough to start its own series but it is one of the few games where I actually like bullet sponge enemies since every bullet breaks something and it is cathartic to slowly destroy a robot piece by piece.
Main complaints I have is the whole progression and skill system is so token i'd rather they have ditched it completely but eh at least it doesn't get in the way of things.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

The thing that made me seethe the most about Binary Domain is that you have to run with specific partners at certain times and say particular things to characters to get the true ending.
BlueMemphis
Turtle
Turtle

Post by BlueMemphis »

Roguey wrote: February 23rd, 2023, 00:23
The thing that made me seethe the most about Binary Domain is that you have to run with specific partners at certain times and say particular things to characters to get the true ending.
Ah yeah forgot to add that as a minus, the whole choose your squad mates schtick is a big trap if you want to get the best ending whilst playing legit.

Reason it slipped my mind is that in my current run i am abusing a few spots that have constantly respawning enemies to farm trust so i don’t have to worry about following a guide for what squaddies to take when but the fact i am abusing exploits to circumvent game design is not a good sign.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

I got the true ending without metagaming. Either I got lucky, or the trust system has a lot of leeway.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Finished Fae Tactics. Felt like the gameplay degenerated a little bit after I mastered the systems but it was still very good. I have couple minor gripes with its themes but as a tactics game I would be happy to recommend it to anyone.

Today I tried Dungeon Rats for a couple hours but it really did not click with me. Attacks of Opportunity + AP system means the best tactic is to sit in the most advantageous spot and use all your AP attacking every turn. Enemies are also spongey such that an average human opponent takes 4-6 hits with a sledgehammer to take down. Boring. Micromanaging AP by choosing fast/normal/powerful every turn also got old pretty quick.

The UI was janky, too. The only info you can seem to get on an enemy is its name, HP, and your chance to hit it. Consequently certain things were a mystery to me, such as why my guys couldn't attack diagonally but fire ants could, at least until somebody explained on IRC. In summary, nearly everything about it felt bad, especially having just come off a very quick, informative, and colorful tactics game previously.

Rusty recommended I try ATOM RPG next, so it's back to Infra Arcana while I download that.
Hando

Post by Hando »

Thinking about replaying Grim Fandango this weekend. It's been more than 20 years since I last played it and I can't remember much about it except that I enjoyed it at the time. Should be an interesting experience especially with the added nostalgia factor.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

I finished a Monk run on Rain World. The remix options take out some of the bullshit, but the game is frustrating as hell even on easy mode. I'm not sure what to play next in my endless backlog, but it's definitely not Far Cry 4.
Kalin

Post by Kalin »

I'm playing Gothic 2 with the expansion for the first time. I'm at level 25, full focus on one-handed weapons and strength, joined the mercenaries and still mucking about in chapter 3. I like how different enemies are best defeated by different attack patterns, rape raptors, orcs and such are easy to kill by jumping back and slashing repeatedly whereas fire mage doom dudes require constant forward attacks to interrupt their spells. Groups of strong enemies are also doable with spell scrolls, summoning in particular works great for most every fight. Revisiting the area from Gothic was a nice touch as well, especially since I was weak and had to avoid the orc besiegers only to later come back and wreck them. No greater joy than that. Money also feels tighter than in the first game and there's a ton of side quests. Great fun so far.
Incognito

Post by Incognito »

I'm * this * close to platinum on Dark Souls remastered. I usually find trophy hunting pretty boring, but I love this game so fucking much that even the most obtuse achievements (i.e. Knight's Honor) are manageable. Probably most of you hate trophies and dork souls and especially playing on consoles.

So the question is, what shall I play next (with keyboard and mouse) to redeem myself? From my backlog:

1) Tyranny
2) Torment: Tides Of Numenera
3) Wastland 3