What game are you playing?

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

Nemesis wrote: March 30th, 2023, 14:40
Acrux wrote: March 30th, 2023, 02:57
When can you go to Whitemarch?
I played Part 1 after Act II and Part 2 between acts III and IV.
Modwyr's voice actress is the same one that voices Verse in Tyranny, if you ever thought her voice sounded familiar.

She also voice the PC's Hard Ass choice in Wasteland III, which is very obscure.

She's good, but I liked the Grieving Mother's VA a lot more.
Watser
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Watser »

After having mastered the following DROD holds; King Dugan's Dungeon, The Choice, and Smitemastery 101 (last two from the series of smitemaster expansions) I'm now going through Gunthro and the Epic Blunder. Formally 4th game in the series but it's a prequel and haven't played it before. Compared to KDD it's a fairly significant step down in difficulty so far, however by virtue of being a later entry in the series the different types of puzzles are considerably varied as new elements and enemies has been introduced.
It's clear the series has been designed in such a fashion that difficulty gradually improves through the chronological order so it serves as a decent entry point if story is your thing.
So far there has been one genuinely difficult room by virtue of an optional challenge.
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

Tweed wrote: April 5th, 2023, 11:52
Ranselknulf wrote: April 5th, 2023, 11:17
I finally got around to trying Factorio. It's a fine piece of autism.
Based game by based devs. When one of the devs linked to some videos that featured a "problematic" person some people tried to concern troll the devs, they told them to go shove it. Also my brother and I were playing at one point and kept getting unreasonable amounts of lag after an update. We reported it on the forum, a few hours later there was a new patch, problem solved.
https://factorio.com/blog/post/we-support-ukraine

:Inspector:

Based would be to say "we're game devs and that's it glhf Ukrops". These are just soy-cucks who have not quite been domesticated yet, but are pretty much there.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

RPGHQ officially supports ukraine/russia, whichever one the poster reading this dislikes more.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Anyone know if this is worth playing?

hehe dinosaurs
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

Factorio is way too autistic for my taste. All these giant factory games are. I'd rather play old city builders like Caesar, Pharaoh or Zeus.
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

Halfway through Half-Life2 EP2 VR. Fucking awesome, nuff said.
Gregz
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gregz »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 8th, 2023, 11:08
RPGHQ officially supports ukraine/russia, whichever one the poster reading this dislikes more.
Finally some dynamic content around here.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 8th, 2023, 11:35

hehe dinosaurs
All of these kinds of games have the same business approach of giving you the razor and selling you the blades. The price on the main game drops dramatically, so they can trick you into buying tons of DLC.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Tweed wrote: April 8th, 2023, 16:08
rusty_shackleford wrote: April 8th, 2023, 11:35

hehe dinosaurs
All of these kinds of games have the same business approach of giving you the razor and selling you the blades. The price on the main game drops dramatically, so they can trick you into buying tons of DLC.
yea, but on the other hand assume I temporarily live in turkey
https://steamdb.info/bundle/24081/
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Vic wrote: April 5th, 2023, 16:59
Emphyrio wrote: April 5th, 2023, 13:04
Ranselknulf wrote: April 5th, 2023, 11:17
I finally got around to trying Factorio. It's a fine piece of autism.
It's ok. I just wish it was more about fighting the bugs.
change setting to deathworld
Good advice. This is much more engaging. Normal mode feels like journalist mode in comparison.

The map I'm on is rough. There was a nest on my starting ore patches so I had to spread out my initial base a lot and make a 300+ tile belt to ship in coal. Worst of all is that the iron patch I settled on is tiny, as in not much space for miners. There are few other iron spots and all are far away and close to or behind big nests. Nearly all my iron is being sucked up to build ammo, turrets, grenades and rockets.
Gregz
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gregz »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 13th, 2023, 02:17
Remember not to savescum
Why? I play games to have fun.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Gregz wrote: April 13th, 2023, 02:25
Remember not to savescum
You can have fun by not cheating too if you try!
Gregz
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gregz »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 13th, 2023, 02:26

Remember not to savescum
You can have fun by not cheating too if you try!
Depends entirely on the game.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Playing Famicom Wars. I stumbled on a stream of an Advance Wars By Web tournament which absolutely blew me away. Had no idea that people still played that, let alone for cash in live tournaments. It rekindled my interest in the series, and then I found out that it actually goes all the way back to the NES, so I decided to start from there.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

I started playing Riftbreaker. It's like Factorio but with greatly simplified factory management and more variety of weapons, turrets and enemies.

I think that the player's robot is too strong and the turrets are too weak. Turrets are not able to withstand anything but the weakest enemy attacks without the player's support. And turrets aren't that easy to put down. They are cheap in terms of their own up-front resource cost, but they have a constant significant power drain, and for every 4 turrets you need an AI core building which uses even more power. Power generators relies on either vast fields of solar/wind generators or require special resource patches, so you will need to expand your base, which means you need more turrets. You can build the power gens farther back, but if the power pole to either the turrets or the AI cores gets destroyed, your turrets stop shooting.

In contrast to the turrets, the player can shoot two guns at once each of which probably have 2-4x the DPS of the turret, and you also have a cooldown bar of special abilities, like an ion cannon, nuclear land mines, oribital bombardment, or my favorite, a temporary turret that shoots lightning and hits everything on the screen. The player can also teleport back to anywhere instantly with just a very cheap portal building that requires no power.

I've only gotten about 5 hours in so maybe the balance will change in favor of the turrets at some point. The buildings seem to scale better with tech than the player does.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Played through Curse of the Moon several times, now I'm playing Curse of the Moon, Too.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Remember not to savescum
Games are only fun when you suffer.

For example: Curse of the Moon has a casual mode where there's infinite lives, no knockback, and health and subweapon points everywhere. It's absolutely revolting.
Gregz
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gregz »

Tweed wrote: April 16th, 2023, 22:54

Remember not to savescum
Games are only fun when you suffer.

For example: Curse of the Moon has a casual mode where there's infinite lives, no knockback, and health and subweapon points everywhere. It's absolutely revolting.
Both extremes are undesirable. There is plenty of suffering in the world. If I want suffering I don't need computer games.
aweigh

Post by aweigh »

Started playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on Yuzu emulator.

Runs pretty well, actually runs better than the game does on a real Switch. Don't have enough juice to push 60fps though, needs a monster CPU for that, though it's fine at 30fps locked. I'm using NVIDIA "half-refresh" VSYNC option to sync it to 30fps/60Hz. Very smooth (well as smooth as 30fps can be).

Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

I keep thinking about playing Warsword Conquest, it's been updated a whole lot since the last time I played and future updates are still in the works. Seems like it would be more fun than Warhammer 1/2, which I also need to play.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

Finished Mafia, Daniel Vavra's cinematic rules of the road simulator though I probably shouldn't have. Lousy driving and even worse shooting, and to make things worse, it's difficult. The bongs at Rockstar understood that when your gameplay is a bit lacking you shouldn't demand too much (and you especially shouldn't have missions that require unexplained adventure game logic to complete), but the Czechs don't have a clue. Got it from a Steam giveaway so I'm glad I at least didn't pay money for it (never bothered because it seemed crap, my instincts were right).
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Finished Curse of the Moon 2, was very gud classicvania. Also finished Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth which was also very good. Interesting color switch mechanic for avoiding damage, beautiful animation, and touchy feely story. Too bad it's so damn short.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

Just started Advance Wars Re-Boot Camp on Ryujinx. Despite being a remake, I think the original GBA version is superior in a lot of ways which is just sad. The remake goes for a cleaner and slightly more western aesthetic, not exactly the vomit-inducing CalArts style but noticeably simpler than the GBA version's sprites and official artwork. The 3D models are definitely on the lower end of the spectrum too, even for the Nintendo Switch, which feels more at home with the old XBLA and PSN era of downloadable titles than a new release in 2023. This would be fine if it was priced accordingly, but it's a full-price Nintendo game as usual. At least you get two games in one I suppose.

The biggest improvements for me are in the menus, voice acting in some parts, and the fact that it's in HD and in Widescreen with far superior sound quality. It even has some nicer animations. But from a visual standpoint, they would've been better off taking Natsume's lead and enhancing the original's sprite work like they did with Pocky & Rocky Reshrined and the Ninja Saviors. But what really drops the game a peg is the fact that they added Nigger soldiers, that's right Nigger soldiers in Advance Wars. The stench of modernity touches all.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

KnightoftheWind wrote: April 22nd, 2023, 04:35
Just started Advance Wars Re-Boot Camp on Ryujinx. Despite being a remake, I think the original GBA version is superior in a lot of ways which is just sad. The remake goes for a cleaner and slightly more western aesthetic, not exactly the vomit-inducing CalArts style but noticeably simpler than the GBA version's sprites and official artwork. The 3D models are definitely on the lower end of the spectrum too, even for the Nintendo Switch, which feels more at home with the old XBLA and PSN era of downloadable titles than a new release in 2023. This would be fine if it was priced accordingly, but it's a full-price Nintendo game as usual. At least you get two games in one I suppose.

The biggest improvements for me are in the menus, voice acting in some parts, and the fact that it's in HD and in Widescreen with far superior sound quality. It even has some nicer animations. But from a visual standpoint, they would've been better off taking Natsume's lead and enhancing the original's sprite work like they did with Pocky & Rocky Reshrined and the Ninja Saviors. But what really drops the game a peg is the fact that they added Nigger soldiers, that's right Nigger soldiers in Advance Wars. The stench of modernity touches all.
I've only seen videos but this was the exact conclusion to which I came. The CO portraits and animations aren't terrible, but everything else about it is. At least they know better than to release this trash in Japan where it would be properly reviled.

By the by, if you're interested in Advance Wars PvP, there's a website with competitive matchmaking and a global ladder: https://awbw.amarriner.com/. That's not even the only one, just the most popular. There's another that mimics Days of Ruin mechanics and a desktop client in the works on github, too. I found out about it a couple weeks ago when a tournament played in realtime was being streamed and it was linked on /v/. Twenty-year old console game series and there's still a community for it to this day. Crazy. Meanwhile, Re-Boot Camp reportedly has a subpar PvP system and will probably be entirely forgotten within six months.
KnightoftheWind

WhiteShark wrote: April 22nd, 2023, 10:12
KnightoftheWind wrote: April 22nd, 2023, 04:35

I've only seen videos but this was the exact conclusion to which I came. The CO portraits and animations aren't terrible, but everything else about it is. At least they know better than to release this trash in Japan where it would be properly reviled.

By the by, if you're interested in Advance Wars PvP, there's a website with competitive matchmaking and a global ladder: https://awbw.amarriner.com/. That's not even the only one, just the most popular. There's another that mimics Days of Ruin mechanics and a desktop client in the works on github, too. I found out about it a couple weeks ago when a tournament played in realtime was being streamed and it was linked on /v/. Twenty-year old console game series and there's still a community for it to this day. Crazy. Meanwhile, Re-Boot Camp reportedly has a subpar PvP system and will probably be entirely forgotten within six months.
This game even got delayed an entire year because of the Jewkraine conflict, if that isn't telling I don't know what is. But it's cool to see an active online multiplayer community for the original games, I didn't think such a thing existed and shows just how good a job the original dev team did when designing them. Ideally the best "remake" would be a fan-made PC port, similar to the Mario 64 and OOT ports. Hell some SNES games like Link to the Past and Super Metroid received similar treatment recently. Native ports allow you to have widescreen, better framerates, etc as options as opposed to straight emulation.
KnightoftheWind

Finally decided to play Binary Domain, a game some consider to be "underrated". It's a third person military cover shooter released during a time when those sorts of games were a dime-a-dozen, and the game doesn't leave a great first impression. You play as military dudes doing military dude things, but thankfully the dialogue in this game is enjoyable and often quite funny. Your Based Black Man partner character is a surprising highlight. The game has a heavy sci-fi theme, and the crux of the story is the appearance of realistic human-like robots that don't even know they're robots.

Which also leads to the biggest difference between this and all the other military shooters of it's day; you aren't fighting human enemies, all the enemies are machines and they come in different colors and sizes. You can dismember their legs which slows them to a crawl (literally), or blow off their heads which confuses and causes them to fight amongst themselves. An interesting idea, but that mechanic isn't all that useful once you upgrade your primary weapon enough. The other new feature is the ability to talk to your teammates and respond to their dialogue IRL via your microphone. The game gives you certain prompts that you can say, and that will register in-game. I couldn't use this feature as I don't own a headset, but it sounds neat. Of course the game gives you the option to bypass this and just use your controller or keyboard to respond.

Other than these two aspects, the gunplay itself is decent enough but my main issue with this game is that it goes on for too long. The developers constantly have you shooting the same bots over and over again, and bullet sponge bosses that outstay their welcome after the 15+ minutes you spend fighting them (no joke). The story begins to lose steam quickly as you are faced with these onslaughts, and they never stop coming. You kill 100 robots?, well sorry chud but here comes 200 more via helicopter in the next cutscene!. This is one of those games I feel needs a proper remake so that it's concepts and ideas can be better realized, and in a more unique way. The game screams seventh generation PS3/Xbox 360 title, from it's visual style down to it's gameplay. My score is a 5/10, it's average.