We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

What game are you playing?

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Wretch would be the disguised gremlin who gives you a cursed helmet.
Watser
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Watser »

Element wrote: February 15th, 2024, 15:50
Watser wrote: February 15th, 2024, 13:09
Finished STASIS: Bone Totem. Let this be a cautionary tale for the future of Britain and its citizens.
Worth playing?
Never got around to properly reply.
Yes, the game is absolutely worth playing. It is a very story-heavy adventure game but it has the characters and writing to carry it, considering the amount of mystery and stuff the game throws at you this could have easily been a clusterfuck. Yet, they capture your attention 10 minutes in and keeps you engaged throughout to the end of the game. It's a wild ride. If you have any loved ones in your life this will hit you hard.

The gameplay has been simplified in some aspects compared to other adventure games. Objects can only be used or found at points of interests rather than from the overworld/isometric perspective. This avoids the issue of pixel hunting (in combination with there being a ping system) and allows for some much more creative and atmospheric visuals. To compensate for this, there is a lot of environmental flavor text added to the game and you play as three characters at once. Items can be switched between all 3 through a shared inventory and the text description of said items will change depending on the character which adds a lot of personality. Items can be combined, with Charlie, or disassembled, with Mac, which further plays into their respective character traits.
On the moonlogic scale the game is very forgiving, I only got stuck a handful of times and that was mostly because I thought I had already tried using an item in a specific way when in fact I had not.

10/10
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

Finished GoldenEye. The core gameplay's fine, so I can see why it picked up the way it did, but it's plagued by obnoxious elements like constant enemy respawn and unclear objectives. The level design also takes a particular dive about halfway through. I played on the easiest setting and still found some of the late-game missions incredibly tedious and highly demanding. Glad to go back to Kirby after this.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

The level design is so bad they have you repeating two missions. The tank level was fun.
BobT

Post by BobT »

Roguey wrote: February 18th, 2024, 16:23
Finished GoldenEye. The core gameplay's fine, so I can see why it picked up the way it did, but it's plagued by obnoxious elements like constant enemy respawn and unclear objectives. The level design also takes a particular dive about halfway through. I played on the easiest setting and still found some of the late-game missions incredibly tedious and highly demanding. Glad to go back to Kirby after this.
When I was a kid I remember getting stuck on the level where you have to escape the train with Natalya. I remember trying to shoot off the metal bits from the hatch and dying every time.
Then I watched the movie and saw him use the laser watch, then felt dumb when it worked. :groan:

Funnily enough, Goldeneye is one of those few bits of media that had a great game, movie AND book. Where they actually respected the source in each.

Btw if you like Goldeneye, play Perfect Dark.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

BobT wrote: February 18th, 2024, 17:42
When I was a kid I remember getting stuck on the level where you have to escape the train with Natalya. I remember trying to shoot off the metal bits from the hatch and dying every time.
Then I watched the movie and saw him use the laser watch, then felt dumb when it worked.
Even with the watch and shooting Xenia for extra time I kept failing that part over and over again. I had to cheese it by by standing just outside the doorway and lasering off as much as I could before the timer officially started.
Unfortunately not part of the Switch's N64 library, though it's something to keep in mind for illicit emulation should my queue ever dry up.
Bertram_Tung

Post by Bertram_Tung »

recently started playing "Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos" again (first time in a several years, owned it since 2001) this is probably my 3rd or 4th complete play-through and i'm loving it more than ever. Been using a recently released community patch that fixed some potentially game breaking bugs, and some texture upscale mods... this game is such a great experience for space sim fans. Fully newtonian physics too. They simply don't make 'em like this anymore.

I'm getting towards the end of Act 2, taking my time and indulging more in all the little upgrades and exploration I didn't pay much attention to in prior playthroughs. Love it, and the futuretrader mod is such a great addition. It allows you to trade items/upgrade your ship at stations, and is pretty well integrated.

The lore of this game is so deep too, it's like a better, non-woke version of the expanse, way before it's time. It's also amazing (and sad) how little discussion there is about this wonderful game in the greater gaming world. Very thankful that i-war2.com and the small but active community around it still exists.

The music warms my soul too. It echoes the loneliness of being a space pirate/trader very authentically. (Example below)

Also, this is the first time i'm playing in ultrawide (21:9) and that's really adding something special to the experience. A few FOV tweaks and it looks incredible for such an old game.

Highly recommend new fans to try it or those who haven't played it in a while to play through it again. It's aged very well. Just be sure to download the fixes/check out some QOL mods (many of them made by one of the original main developers).
BobT

Post by BobT »

Roguey wrote: February 18th, 2024, 20:27
BobT wrote: February 18th, 2024, 17:42
Then I watched the movie and saw him use the laser watch, then felt dumb when it worked.
Even with the watch and shooting Xenia for extra time I kept failing that part over and over again. I had to cheese it by by standing just outside the doorway and lasering off as much as I could before the timer officially started.
Unfortunately not part of the Switch's N64 library, though it's something to keep in mind for illicit emulation should my queue ever dry up.
Really? Maybe it was just the controls. It came off pretty fast with the watch.

Ah that's a shame. PD's gameplay and mechanics is basically just an upgraded version of Goldeneye. It's REALLY good and the multiplayer was fun. Main storyline was good too. (You do play as a woman though, if you're vulnerable to the troon stuff. However this was before any of that feminisation stuff came in).
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

BobT wrote: February 18th, 2024, 20:47
Really? Maybe it was just the controls. It came off pretty fast with the watch.
Yeah, I've seen other people claim that aiming in Goldeneye is extra-finicky with the Switch's joycons and that it's nowhere near as bad with an original N64 controller.
Ah that's a shame. PD's gameplay and mechanics is basically just an upgraded version of Goldeneye. It's REALLY good and the multiplayer was fun. Main storyline was good too. (You do play as a woman though, if you're vulnerable to the troon stuff. However this was before any of that feminisation stuff came in).
I am unbothered by such things. Also probably for the best if I'm forced to use a mouse instead.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

Finished with Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards. I was having a fine relaxing time up until the final boss which was an extreme difficulty spike. I only made it through with a ton of quicksaving. Once again I didn't bother to collect all the items to see the true final boss/ending and just looked that up online.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Been playing Horizon's Gate almost nonstop for over a week. The systems in this game have so many little subtleties and interactions that you can do some really clever stuff with it. The AI is way above average, too. I used a skill to move an ally out of the target zone of an impending enemy spell, and in response the next enemy who could act used a push skill to put my guy back in it. I was simultaneously deeply impressed and utterly flabbergasted (I did not win the fight on that attempt).

I also keep running into HQsers:
► Screeshots
Last edited by WhiteShark on February 22nd, 2024, 04:20, edited 1 time in total.
BobT

Post by BobT »

WhiteShark wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 02:22
Been playing Horizon's Gate almost nonstop for over a week. The systems in this game have so many little subtleties and interactions that you can do some really clever stuff with it. The AI is way above average, too. I used a skill to move an ally out of the target zone of an impending enemy spell, and in response the next enemy who could act used a push skill to put my guy back in it. I simultaneously deeply impressed and utterly flabbergasted (I did not win the fight on that attempt).

I also keep running into HQsers:
► Screeshots
hahaha are those enemies that you named?

Looks interesting! Added to wishlist.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

BobT wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 03:27
No, they're randomly generated, which makes it even funnier.
If you haven't played it already, I also recommend Voidspire Tactics, the first game in the series. There isn't an overarching story but the setting is the same and the mechanics mostly are, too. If you like that, there's also Alvora Tactics, which is the game after Voidspire and before Horizon's Gate.
Goblin_Hammer

Post by Goblin_Hammer »

Someone recommended Balrum so thanks to them, enjoyable game so far. Isometric RPG with crafting, building and survival mechanics, but it's not as shitty or annoying as early access asset flips.

BobT

Post by BobT »

WhiteShark wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 03:41
No, they're randomly generated, which makes it even funnier.
If you haven't played it already, I also recommend Voidspire Tactics, the first game in the series. There isn't an overarching story but the setting is the same and the mechanics mostly are, too. If you like that, there's also Alvora Tactics, which is the game after Voidspire and before Horizon's Gate.
Surely you're pulling my leg, especially with those status (fucking "glow" :lol: )
I've seen games that generate names from your steam friends etc. in the past though, but it would be spooky to see ones from a random forum, heh.

Yeah I usually like to start with the first in a series, even if it's shitter (I'm autistic like that). Cheers for this. I do love those tactical RPGs. I've mentioned before I'm a big fan of Shining Force, and they often separate the story & gameplay really well.
Last edited by BobT on February 22nd, 2024, 04:46, edited 1 time in total.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Goblin_Hammer wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 04:07
Someone recommended Balrum so thanks to them, enjoyable game so far. Isometric RPG with crafting, building and survival mechanics, but it's not as shitty or annoying as early access asset flips.

A true hidden gem. Enjoy!
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Acrux wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 05:21
Goblin_Hammer wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 04:07

A true hidden gem. Enjoy!
No idea why Balrum is so unknown.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Halo 2 is the best in the franchise and I will never forgive retarded nigger faggots for complaining so we got no Arbiter missions in Halo 3. Trying out some of the mods that have come out and it's very amusing going through these games in third person as normal marines.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Vergil wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 07:23
Halo 2 is the best in the franchise and I will never forgive retarded nigger faggots for complaining so we got no Arbiter missions in Halo 3. Trying out some of the mods that have come out and it's very amusing going through these games in third person as normal marines.
I played all of the Ruby's Rebalanced campaigns and had a good time. It was nice using weapons I'd never bother picking up before.
► Show Spoiler
Lord of Riva

Post by Lord of Riva »

I'm currently playing Undernauts, a decent Dungeoncrawler, maybe a bit to light on the difficulty but I like the style of it's monster Design and atmosphere.

Yes, this is Japanese.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Oyster Sauce wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 07:26
CE is the best Halo though
The first three games are so close together for me that really I could accept any of the original trilogy as the best. I just think sangheili are very neat so I liked getting to see things from their perspective. Also if enough RPGHQiggers play it could be neat to get a co op or multiplayer game going sometime.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Vergil wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 07:42
The first three games are so close together for me that really I could accept any of the original trilogy as the best. I just think sangheili are very neat so I liked getting to see things from their perspective. Also if enough RPGHQiggers play it could be neat to get a co op or multiplayer game going sometime.
I always want to play Halo co-op
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Oyster Sauce wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 07:51
Vergil wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 07:42

I always want to play Halo co-op
Feel free to send me your Steam or whatever and I'd be down to play sometime.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Was working at BG3, but gave up at Act 3 due to all the BS.

Currently evaluating either Colony Ship, or making another run at Underrail (I played it at release and got very far into it, but then I got busy with other things and never got back). So basically been toying with some builds on them.
Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

Xenich wrote: February 24th, 2024, 14:08
Currently evaluating either Colony Ship, or making another run at Underrail
Underrail. Finish what you started.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Nemesis wrote: February 24th, 2024, 14:58
Xenich wrote: February 24th, 2024, 14:08
Currently evaluating either Colony Ship, or making another run at Underrail
Underrail. Finish what you started.
Always good advice.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

It's okay to give up at the Deep Caverns, you're not missing much.
Lord of Riva

Post by Lord of Riva »

After finishing Undernauts I have downloaded ExoDoS and have been playing around a bit.

I have now landed on Stonekeep, a game which I have never played to it's conclusion when I was relatively young.

I'm really impressed how competently it was made when it comes to the accessibility of gameplay, really impressed. Normally playing DoS games is a bit of a Chore until you figure out what is what, but from a perspective of looking back at things it manages extremely intuitive controls.

I remember the game as pretty campy and certainly lacking in some aspects compared to more hardcore stuff in the genre but so far, I'm having a blast. It's just, well, fun.
ANONYMOUS_FRI3ND

Post by ANONYMOUS_FRI3ND »

Decided to replay the entire Arkham series. I am currently playing Batman: Arkham City :cool:.