We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Baldur's Gate 3

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Anon wrote: March 26th, 2024, 11:57
You don't meet durge in the story. Won't tell more to not spoiler you.

Mondain wrote: March 26th, 2024, 13:06
You do
He's not very talkative tho...
Rand wrote: March 26th, 2024, 14:36
I believe you find the default albino draconian Durge dead somewhere if you don't play that origin.
1000 IQ RPGHQ posters
Rand

Post by Rand »

Oyster Sauce wrote: March 26th, 2024, 14:50

You do
I believe you find the default albino draconian Durge dead somewhere if you don't play that origin.
1000 IQ RPGHQ posters
It's not a spoiler. :groan:
It's not even commented upon in the game when you find the corpse. It has no story connection.
AND we're not even sure it IS Durge, because, AGAIN, the game says nothing about it.
Last edited by Rand on March 26th, 2024, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.
Anon

Post by Anon »

You don't meet durge in the story.
Yes and I don't call that meeting. He won't ever be a companion in that sense for example (thanks for spoiling btw)
Last edited by Anon on March 26th, 2024, 15:03, edited 1 time in total.
Anon

Post by Anon »

Rand wrote: March 26th, 2024, 15:02

You do
1000 IQ RPGHQ posters
It's not even commented upon in the game when you find the corpse. It has no story connection.
AND we're not even sure it IS Durge, because, AGAIN, the game says nothing about it.
Yeah there are many albino draconians in the game, what a coincidence that you only happen to find a dead one when you aren't playing durge yourself
Last edited by Anon on March 26th, 2024, 15:04, edited 2 times in total.
Rand

Post by Rand »

Anon wrote: March 26th, 2024, 15:04
Rand wrote: March 26th, 2024, 15:02
Yeah there are many albino draconians in the game, what a coincidence that you only happen to find a dead one when you aren't playing durge yourself
Of course. That's why people think it is.
Still has nothing to do with the player's story though.
Mondain

Post by Mondain »

You do
1000 IQ RPGHQ posters
Don't lump me into the same category as the other guy, mine wasn't a spoiler.
Rand

Post by Rand »

Mondain wrote: March 26th, 2024, 16:47
Don't lump me into the same category as the other guy, mine wasn't a spoiler.
Neither were.
It's a unremarked corpse on the floor.
Last edited by Rand on March 26th, 2024, 16:54, edited 1 time in total.
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

Anon wrote: March 25th, 2024, 22:38
Some are good like Astarion's, Shadowheart's and Durge's but Wyll's and Karlach's feel badly written and unfinished.
Those two were redone quite late on in development.
Gale's is kinda meh.
Probably more to do with Gale being annoying.
Last edited by ArcaneLurker on March 28th, 2024, 16:56, edited 1 time in total.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Anon wrote: March 24th, 2024, 15:03
TKVNC wrote: March 24th, 2024, 14:53
Anon wrote: March 24th, 2024, 14:51

No he has explicitly said he'll continue bug fixing the game and will release mod tools.
Some good news, if true.
rusty_shackleford wrote: March 24th, 2024, 14:53
Anon wrote: March 24th, 2024, 14:51

No he has explicitly said he'll continue bug fixing the game and will release mod tools.
Wake me when the definitive edition releases and this game leaves beta then.
Gonna pass your complaint to Larian directors, you'll have an answer soon!
So tired of them adding onto the endings. Everytime I want to finish my playthrough I'm put off by the fact that I'll probably get done just in time for a new update to make me miss content. :mad:
Envergence

Post by Envergence »

The farthest I've gotten was the middle of Act 2, and I've been restarting ever since, never leaving Act 1. I'm just waiting for them to actually finish the game so I can finally do a full playthrough. Too much of a time sink to do consecutive playthroughs IMO. I just want one good one, then I may play again in a couple years, like I do with BioWare and Bethesda games.

I heard they're going to be working on evil endings especially, and my hope is we'll finally get an ending where Gortash isn't killed off for no raisin. It's perfectly fine for players to take over as Absolute, but we draw the line at simply ruling Baldur's Gate with Bane's chosen? Silly. It'd give the game a smidgen of much-needed depth if they did add it. Of course, they could merely be adding cinematics for the one pre-existing (and lame) evil ending and I'll continue to be disappointed. I'm not fussed about never completing the game though. Act 3 sounds excruciating.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Envergence wrote: March 28th, 2024, 17:40
The farthest I've gotten was the middle of Act 2, and I've been restarting ever since, never leaving Act 1. I'm just waiting for them to actually finish the game so I can finally do a full playthrough. Too much of a time sink to do consecutive playthroughs IMO. I just want one good one, then I may play again in a couple years, like I do with BioWare and Bethesda games.

I heard they're going to be working on evil endings especially, and my hope is we'll finally get an ending where Gortash isn't killed off for no raisin. It's perfectly fine for players to take over as Absolute, but we draw the line at simply ruling Baldur's Gate with Bane's chosen? Silly. It'd give the game a smidgen of much-needed depth if they did add it. Of course, they could merely be adding cinematics for the one pre-existing (and lame) evil ending and I'll continue to be disappointed. I'm not fussed about never completing the game though. Act 3 sounds excruciating.
I found it very funny that you interact with Gortash for all of 10 minutes and then no matter what he just gets pwned in a cutscene never to be mentioned again :lol:
Envergence

Post by Envergence »

Vergil wrote: March 28th, 2024, 17:44
I found it very funny that you interact with Gortash for all of 10 minutes and then no matter what he just gets pwned in a cutscene never to be mentioned again :lol:
It's a travesty, but even worse than that: it's lazy writing. :sad:
Anon

Post by Anon »

ArcaneLurker wrote: March 28th, 2024, 16:55
Some are good like Astarion's, Shadowheart's and Durge's but Wyll's and Karlach's feel badly written and unfinished.
Those two were redone quite late on in development.
Gale's is kinda meh.
Probably more to do with Gale being annoying.
I'd say it's more because it's a rather intangible story. Literally fuck with a god so what? And then the end of his questline happens when the game itself has ended. Simply did not vibe with me
Vergil wrote: March 28th, 2024, 17:07
Anon wrote: March 24th, 2024, 15:03
TKVNC wrote: March 24th, 2024, 14:53

Some good news, if true.
rusty_shackleford wrote: March 24th, 2024, 14:53

Wake me when the definitive edition releases and this game leaves beta then.
Gonna pass your complaint to Larian directors, you'll have an answer soon!
So tired of them adding onto the endings. Everytime I want to finish my playthrough I'm put off by the fact that I'll probably get done just in time for a new update to make me miss content. :mad:
True that. I'm putting off more BG3 playthroughs until this game gets its shit together. Having all my saves destroyed by latest patch kinda soured my experience
Envergence wrote: March 28th, 2024, 17:40

Larian's overall writing of evil plotlines have been atrocious. Only killing Ser Aylin and ascending Astarion are truly worth it
Last edited by Anon on March 28th, 2024, 18:56, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

story sucks because it abandoned objective definitions of Good and Evil
TKVNC

Post by TKVNC »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 28th, 2024, 18:59
Simple fact. How can you write a compelling narrative when the 'hero' (who isn't a hero, since he's not 'good') is driven only by selfish-convenience.

Might as well have a story where he wakes up and makes some coffee,then reads a book. Just as interesting.
Rand

Post by Rand »

It's been exposed a while back that the chosen shit was not much in the original story.
It was all mind flayer/The Absolute stuff, and using tadpole powers led to an end where you were a soul living in a fantasy land "down by the river" with the dream character you made at the beginning while your body was a mind flayer.

There's a reason why it feels tacked on, and why The Emperor story seems off. It's fiddled in mid-development.
Last edited by Rand on March 29th, 2024, 05:45, edited 1 time in total.
Faceless_Sentinel

Post by Faceless_Sentinel »

TKVNC wrote: March 28th, 2024, 19:03
Simple fact. How can you write a compelling narrative when the 'hero' (who isn't a hero, since he's not 'good') is driven only by selfish-convenience.

Might as well have a story where he wakes up and makes some coffee,then reads a book. Just as interesting.
You can write a compelling narrative when the main character is driven only by selfish-convenience and abandoning objective definitions of Good and Evil, but not with writers, who openly says that he is cuckold. With such a level of perversion and degradation, a person cannot create something good.

Last edited by Faceless_Sentinel on March 29th, 2024, 07:02, edited 2 times in total.
OnTilt

Post by OnTilt »

Faceless_Sentinel wrote: March 29th, 2024, 07:01
TKVNC wrote: March 28th, 2024, 19:03

You can write a compelling narrative when the main character is driven only by selfish-convenience and abandoning objective definitions of Good and Evil, but not with writers, who openly says that he is cuckold. With such a level of perversion and degradation, a person cannot create something good.

Evil can't create.
gastovski

Post by gastovski »

there is a fsr 3.0 mod for bg3 but behind patreon paywalled i hate this shit i hope someone leaks it
AliciaDurge

Post by AliciaDurge »

AliciaDurge wrote: March 25th, 2024, 21:33
Anon wrote: March 24th, 2024, 23:44

What did you like most in bg3 writing?
Character's backstories and their companion quests.
Some are good like Astarion's, Shadowheart's and Durge's but Wyll's and Karlach's feel badly written and unfinished. Gale's is kinda meh.
Good point.
Cipher

Post by Cipher »

Envergence wrote: March 28th, 2024, 18:08
Vergil wrote: March 28th, 2024, 17:44
It's a travesty, but even worse than that: it's lazy writing. :sad:
W-w-whaaaat? Lazy writting? Impossible!

This game is GOTY 2023 and has been praised as the game that defined a generation, single handedly saved the gaming industry and is a one in a lifetime experience!

Surely, such a masterpiece could never be tarnished by lazy writting! You must be the problem. Probably just a homophobe because Astarion and Halzing are flaming queens. You are probably racist, as well.
Cipher

Post by Cipher »

gastovski wrote: March 29th, 2024, 17:40
there is a fsr 3.0 mod for bg3 but behind patreon paywalled i hate this shit i hope someone leaks it
"Fsr" mod?
gastovski

Post by gastovski »

Cipher wrote: March 30th, 2024, 14:51
gastovski wrote: March 29th, 2024, 17:40
"Fsr" mod?
amd fsr mod

im doing another playthrough as gale with magus class, great fun so far
Last edited by gastovski on March 31st, 2024, 20:28, edited 1 time in total.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Did anyone else get stuck in the Duergar fortress where you can see the Sharran temple in the background with a floating platform leading towards it, but it's completely inaccessible until later in the game? Drove me nuts because the journal warns you that the Sharran quest will fail if you go too far.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

When I killed people I'd always put their bodies in containers. Does this actually affect anything? I'm kind of disappointed if not.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 1st, 2024, 20:14
When I killed people I'd always put their bodies in containers. Does this actually affect anything? I'm kind of disappointed if not.
If you kill someone and another NPC wanders by they start looking around accusing you of murder / go hostile. Similar to Theft / Pickpocket.

So yes one of the few cool mechanics / improvements over DOS:2 is that you can systematically work your way through Goblin Stronghold / Creche / Moonrise - picking off rooms / patrols and hiding their bodies to avoid getting hassled.

(You can also just loot them and teleport to camp and long rest - but thats IMMERSHUN BRAKING)
Oyster Sauce wrote: March 31st, 2024, 21:13
Did anyone else get stuck in the Duergar fortress where you can see the Sharran temple in the background with a floating platform leading towards it, but it's completely inaccessible until later in the game? Drove me nuts because the journal warns you that the Sharran quest will fail if you go too far.
Eh? Really?
You go there in Act 2 but I wasn't aware you can fail something - I couldn't get into it early.
Last edited by Shillitron on April 1st, 2024, 20:20, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Shillitron wrote: April 1st, 2024, 20:19
rusty_shackleford wrote: April 1st, 2024, 20:14
If you kill someone and another NPC wanders by they start looking around accusing you of murder / go hostile. Similar to Theft / Pickpocket.

So yes one of the few cool mechanics / improvements over DOS:2 is that you can systematically work your way through Goblin Stronghold / Creche / Moonrise - picking off rooms / patrols and hiding their bodies to avoid getting hassled.

(You can also just loot them and teleport to camp and long rest - but thats IMMERSHUN BRAKING)
The casualization was obviously going to happen but I hated it anyways. Resting should have been only at specific points(e.g., Dark Sun, KotC), and I have a feeling swen wanted a lot more quests to be timed even tho there are a few already.
Being able to teleport to camp at will basically breaks the game and removes one of the primary benefits strength characters have.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 1st, 2024, 20:21
The casualization was obviously going to happen but I hated it anyways. Resting should have been only at specific points(e.g., Dark Sun, KotC), and I have a feeling swen wanted a lot more quests to be timed even tho there are a few already.
Being able to teleport to camp at will basically breaks the game and removes one of the primary benefits strength characters have.
Early Access really gave a look at what Larian was ~planning~ then gave up and phoned it in.

Act 1 had a bunch of timed events that now seem removed or less important. Exploration and CnC feels far more organic and enjoyable. Quests are more open ended and exploration feels more rewarding.

Act 2 and Act 3 nose dive hard - I think that's where Swen really pulled back and thought "Fuck this DnD shit I wanna get back to Divinity - ship it" he even seemed almost worried / gun shy about it at release time until it became massively popular for the LGBT orgy sex scenes.
Last edited by Shillitron on April 3rd, 2024, 12:31, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Shillitron wrote: April 1st, 2024, 20:25
rusty_shackleford wrote: April 1st, 2024, 20:21
Early Access really gave a look at what Larian was ~planning~ then gave up and phoned it in.

Act 1 had a bunch of timed events that now seem removed or less important. Exploration and CnC feels far more organic and enjoyable. Quests are more open ended and exploration feels more rewarding.

Act 2 and Act 3 nose dive hard - I think that's where Swen really pulled back and thought "Fuck this DnD shit I wanna get back to Divinity - ship it" he even seemed almost worried / gun shy about it at release time until it become massively popular for the LGBT orgy sex scenes.
Yes, act 1 had a bunch of time sensitive events right off the bat. Lae'Zael imprisoned, the assassin in the camp, the kid with the harpies and so forth. It was obviously meant to be a way to prevent abusing resting.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on April 1st, 2024, 20:27, edited 1 time in total.