We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Baldur's Gate 3

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
TKVNC

Post by TKVNC »

Anon wrote: March 24th, 2024, 14:51
rusty_shackleford wrote: March 24th, 2024, 14:04
So, since Larian said they're "done" with BG3, does that mean no mod tools will be released unlike DOS1 & 2?
Despite what Swen has said, this feels like Swen jilted WotC. There's parts of the game that were obviously being worked on before it even launched, and still being worked on, that they wanted to put in the game. As if WotC demanded a contract renegotiation or something.
No he has explicitly said he'll continue bug fixing the game and will release mod tools.
Some good news, if true.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

So, since Larian said they're "done" with BG3, does that mean no mod tools will be released unlike DOS1 & 2?
Despite what Swen has said, this feels like Swen jilted WotC. There's parts of the game that were obviously being worked on before it even launched, and still being worked on, that they wanted to put in the game. As if WotC demanded a contract renegotiation or something.
No he has explicitly said he'll continue bug fixing the game and will release mod tools.
Wake me when the definitive edition releases and this game leaves beta then.
gastovski

Post by gastovski »

When you have sex with shadowheart next long rest halsin coming at you yet i havent even talk with him romantically at all before, every playthrough like this what gives?
Last edited by gastovski on March 24th, 2024, 14:57, edited 1 time in total.
Anon

Post by Anon »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 24th, 2024, 14:18
There's parts of the game that were obviously being worked on before it even launched, and still being worked on, that they wanted to put in the game.
Weeks prior to launch Swen touted the upper city as being part of the game
From an interview:
Larian has split the city into three areas—the outer city, affluent upper city, and roguish lower city—all connected in a seamless open world. "You have crowds walking around everywhere," creative director Swen Vincke says. "You can talk to pretty much anybody, and they react to every single thing. It’s very alive in that sense."
https://www.pcgamer.com/baldurs-gate-3- ... pcgs-2023/
This isn't some 2020 article, this is just weeks prior to release.

Swen tried to walk this back in an interview later but it's obviously bullshit. Same with claiming e.g., Karlach's content wasn't "cut". They're either using a very different definition of "cut content", or lying. If they're using some weird definition of "it was completed then cut because they didn't like it", then … yes, I suppose. But it was obviously intended to be part of the game. And this directly goes against their own prior statements:
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app ... 8763455642
This weekend, we unveiled the city of Baldur's Gate for the very first time, with a glimpse behind its walls and around its familiar labyrinthine streets. It's been about 20 years since we last had a pint in the Elfsong Tavern or crawled through the sewers beneath the city streets and, as you might have spotted during the PC Gaming Show, many of these locations are back, and many news ones are waiting to be discovered for the first time - giving you a chance to explore the menacing roads of the Outer City, the opulent estates of the Upper City, and the dark alleys and pubs of the Lower City.
And for those out of the loop, yes, Larian has claimed these weren't actually "cut" and this isn't "cut content"(???)
They must've concluded through last-hour playtesting that act 3 was far too long. They know that the game is very long and that after around 60-90 hours of play, people already feel burned out from the game, and they needed to cut content from the game to match that approximate playtime. If the game was launched with all the content, playthroughs must've been easily reached 120h+ and people wouldn't have liked that.

That's the only rational explanation that I can conceive that isn't some sort of conspiracy.
Anon

Post by Anon »

TKVNC wrote: March 24th, 2024, 14:53
Some good news, if true.
rusty_shackleford wrote: March 24th, 2024, 14:53
Wake me when the definitive edition releases and this game leaves beta then.
Gonna pass your complaint to Larian directors, you'll have an answer soon!
Last edited by Anon on March 24th, 2024, 15:03, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Anon wrote: March 24th, 2024, 15:01
They must've concluded through last-hour playtesting that act 3 was far too long. They know that the game is very long and that after around 60-90 hours of play, people already feel burned out from the game, and they needed to cut content from the game to match that approximate playtime. If the game was launched with all the content, playthroughs must've been easily reached 120h+ and people wouldn't have liked that.
I would have rather had stuff like the undead city in act 2 cut that adds nothing tbh
Anon

Post by Anon »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 24th, 2024, 15:04
I would have rather had stuff like the undead city in act 2 cut that adds nothing tbh
Yeah but you, I and other extensive RPG enjoyers are minority. Most people want the campaign to end rather quickly or they'll drop the game and Larian chose to cater to them - at the cost of even severely mutilating the story.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Boontaker wrote: March 24th, 2024, 14:45
rusty_shackleford wrote: March 24th, 2024, 14:36
rusty_shackleford wrote: March 24th, 2024, 14:24
increased development costs
Depending on whether you trust this source or not, BG3 had a budget of $100m
https://www.ign.com/articles/josh-sawye ... zed-budget

We know DOS1 cost around $5m to make
https://www.pcgamer.com/how-divinity-or ... n-studios/
Larian initially had 1.5 million Euros to spend on Divinity: Original Sin and hoped to build it on a budget of 3 million. In the end, the studio spent 4.5 million Euros.
DOS2 is obviously much closer to DOS1 than BG3 in development cost. To what extent, I don't know if there's any public data.

From the recent Larian statement, BG3 isn't massively outselling DOS2(as some seem to think?)
https://wccftech.com/baldurs-gate-3-rep ... pg-closer/
It's almost double D:OS 2 now, so it's really doing really, really well.
We have no idea what kind of contract Larian has with WotC, of course. WotC's recent OGL 1.1 kerfuffle included a 25% royalty on companies that make over $750,000 in annual revenue, obviously this is entirely unrelated to any private contract WotC & Larian have, but it may possibly, or not, representative of what kind of IP licensing cut Larian is paying.

So… is it possible that Larian ends up making more money off of DOS2 than BG3? …I don't know. But it's closer than a lot would think, IMO.

[edit]

I have to say tho, the potential for failure here is so large that I couldn't imagine wanting to purposely create 1 BG3 instead of 20 Divinity: Original Sin-tier games. It's an obvious reason many publishers shifted towards the so-called 'AA'.

Wtf are they paying for that costs 95 million? Is that just art and graphics design? Mo cap? That can't be voice acting.
a pretty exceptional marketing campaign for one
buttfucker 3000

Post by buttfucker 3000 »

gastovski wrote: March 24th, 2024, 14:56
When you have sex with shadowheart next long rest halsin coming at you yet i havent even talk with him romantically at all before, every playthrough like this what gives?
You better kill him now. Next long rest he's gonna bear dick you in the ass while you're sleeping.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

buttfucker 3000 wrote: March 24th, 2024, 15:11
You better kill him now. Next long rest he's gonna bear dick you in the ass while you're sleeping.
thanks buttfucker 3000
Anon

Post by Anon »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 24th, 2024, 14:36
rusty_shackleford wrote: March 24th, 2024, 14:24
increased development costs
Depending on whether you trust this source or not, BG3 had a budget of $100m
https://www.ign.com/articles/josh-sawye ... zed-budget

We know DOS1 cost around $5m to make
https://www.pcgamer.com/how-divinity-or ... n-studios/
Larian initially had 1.5 million Euros to spend on Divinity: Original Sin and hoped to build it on a budget of 3 million. In the end, the studio spent 4.5 million Euros.
DOS2 is obviously much closer to DOS1 than BG3 in development cost. To what extent, I don't know if there's any public data.

From the recent Larian statement, BG3 isn't massively outselling DOS2(as some seem to think?)
https://wccftech.com/baldurs-gate-3-rep ... pg-closer/
It's almost double D:OS 2 now, so it's really doing really, really well.
We have no idea what kind of contract Larian has with WotC, of course. WotC's recent OGL 1.1 kerfuffle included a 25% royalty on companies that make over $750,000 in annual revenue, obviously this is entirely unrelated to any private contract WotC & Larian have, but it may possibly, or not, representative of what kind of IP licensing cut Larian is paying.

So… is it possible that Larian ends up making more money off of DOS2 than BG3? …I don't know. But it's closer than a lot would think, IMO.

[edit]

I have to say tho, the potential for failure here is so large that I couldn't imagine wanting to purposely create 1 BG3 instead of 20 Divinity: Original Sin-tier games. It's an obvious reason many publishers shifted towards the so-called 'AA'.
That's all true but now that they've stablished their name and BG trademark and have their engine, marketing etc sorted out, they could make serious bucks with a BG3 DLC/expansion using way less budget overall for that.

But well, they still chose not to, I'd guess for the reasons Vergil stated. Let's see what their next product will be. Looking forward for the modding tools (seriously hope they don't put a way to censor modders using it btw)
Anon

Post by Anon »

Oyster Sauce wrote: March 24th, 2024, 15:13
buttfucker 3000 wrote: March 24th, 2024, 15:11
thanks buttfucker 3000
These newfag names only get better and better
gastovski

Post by gastovski »

You know i have finished lots of playthroughs but never with an origin character. Any recommendations for which is more fun/interactive with most?
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

gastovski wrote: March 24th, 2024, 21:10
You know i have finished lots of playthroughs but never with an origin character. Any recommendations for which is more fun/interactive with most?
Speaking of which, do origin characters have voiced dialogue when you play them?
gastovski

Post by gastovski »

Oyster Sauce wrote: March 24th, 2024, 21:14
Speaking of which, do origin characters have voiced dialogue when you play them?
I am curious about this too thats why i asked
Anon

Post by Anon »

Dark Urge obviously

If excepting him, then I guess Gale got most of the unique content for being an origin
No.

Only Karlach gets some for whatever reason, but it's only in a few key moments at act I (beach start and after fighting the paladins), nothing significant.
gastovski

Post by gastovski »

Anon wrote: March 24th, 2024, 21:25
Dark Urge obviously

If excepting him, then I guess Gale got most of the unique content for being an origin
No.

Only Karlach gets some for whatever reason, but it's only in a few key moments at act I (beach start and after fighting the paladins), nothing significant.
Sorry forgot to mention i played alot with durge, , finishing another run with durge right now so i havent decided my next run yet but it will be origin character.
Cipher

Post by Cipher »

Xenich wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 00:40
OnTilt wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 00:26
Xenich wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 00:23

No, they are all gay characters.

If you can romance them to gay, they are gay. They are not "player sexual", they are gay characters who will have relationships with the opposite sex. This is why you can stumble into gay dialogues because they are designed to allow for gay focus. The game with a straight character is to not fall into a dialogue trap where the character assumes you are gay as well.

Contrast this with Morrigan and Alistair in Dragon Age who were "straight" and could not be romanced to be gay.
If Larian wanted to have all this gay shit in their game I really don't understand why they couldn't have just let us choose our sexuality at character creation. Then I could be pals with Gale without him trying to get me into bed. Its like they left it this way so that you were forced to interact with it that way.
Well, if they did that, then they couldn't force it on you could they?

I don't think for one minute all of this crap is just some honest intent to provide an experience of choice for all. It is social engineering, in your face crap.

A narcist, which goes hand in hand with homosexuals and their goal is be the center of attention. They won't be happy until you are forced to participate. This is why they are throwing tantrums about people removing it from the games.

Exactly. They even acknowledged how Gale behaves and patched it up. But, when people on Steam complained how Gale ninjamanced himself into a romance with the Player Character, all the Redditors started to shout that it was because the PLAYER was agreeing and 100% participating in the gay affair.

In reality, just speaking to Gale almost forced a romance. He has one dialogue tree where he mentions he doesn't have friends, onlt aquaintances. And he wishes to count you as a friend.

The Player options are two flirt options, saying "I wish to be more than friends" one option more flirty than the other.

3rd option is "No, we are not friends."

4th option is to just end the dialogue right there.

So, you are either gay for Gale or nothing. You cannot be pals with the Wizard. Its faggotry or bust.

This is by design. Men cannot be friends in media anymore.
OnTilt

Post by OnTilt »

Cipher wrote: March 24th, 2024, 22:08
OnTilt wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 00:26

If Larian wanted to have all this gay shit in their game I really don't understand why they couldn't have just let us choose our sexuality at character creation. Then I could be pals with Gale without him trying to get me into bed. Its like they left it this way so that you were forced to interact with it that way.

I don't think for one minute all of this crap is just some honest intent to provide an experience of choice for all. It is social engineering, in your face crap.

A narcist, which goes hand in hand with homosexuals and their goal is be the center of attention. They won't be happy until you are forced to participate. This is why they are throwing tantrums about people removing it from the games.

Exactly. They even acknowledged how Gale behaves and patched it up. But, when people on Steam complained how Gale ninjamanced himself into a romance with the Player Character, all the Redditors started to shout that it was because the PLAYER was agreeing and 100% participating in the gay affair.

In reality, just speaking to Gale almost forced a romance. He has one dialogue tree where he mentions he doesn't have friends, onlt aquaintances. And he wishes to count you as a friend.

The Player options are two flirt options, saying "I wish to be more than friends" one option more flirty than the other.

So, you are either gay for Gale or nothing. You cannot be pals with the Wizard. Its faggotry or bust.

Every male friendship is pathologized by the alphabet crowd "They're obviously gay for each other uwu!" They do this with everything form historical figures to IPs. Its actually kind of sad, because it means these perverts don't understand real human connection. They can't relate to any sort of relationship that doesn't involve sex or romance.
AliciaDurge

Post by AliciaDurge »

Oldtimer wrote: March 24th, 2024, 07:29
So much focusing in the woke in BG3 here, without adressing a more pressing issue with the game: the writing in general - which admittedly is why we have woke in the game as well, although I see that more as a symtom and not a cause. Simply put, BG3 is a badly written game, and it's mindboggling how much praise the game has gotten with all the rewards and whatnot.

Interestingly enough, the game was not as far as I know touched by SBI or any of tis equivalent companies, but Larian did that themselves. What is even more interesting is that BG3 is apparently an exception to the adage 'go woke, go broke' since it has sold very well. I have listened to a number of people on YT with about the same mindset as people here like Endymion, and even he - woke-alltergic as he is - likes BG3. Why? I can't tell. What I do suspect is that BG3 wields the same magic as the Cameron movie Avatar did, blinding people with effects when it's just a polished turd - or in Avatar's case, Pocahontas in space.

That in turn makes me think that people need to stop and reflect more on what they like/dislike, and why. Picking a game like BG3 apart will show the very shaky narrative structure, but it seems the fans are unable to do that. So I'd say people are willfully blind and stupid.
I love the game because in my taste, it's well written. Not because it has a woke narrative.
gastovski

Post by gastovski »

I think im going to play as Gale later but with hybrid class (something with modded) because i dont like pure wizard
Cipher

Post by Cipher »

OnTilt wrote: March 24th, 2024, 22:37
Cipher wrote: March 24th, 2024, 22:08

Every male friendship is pathologized by the alphabet crowd "They're obviously gay for each other uwu!" They do this with everything form historical figures to IPs. Its actually kind of sad, because it means these perverts don't understand real human connection. They can't relate to any sort of relationship that doesn't involve sex or romance.

Exactly. It tells you everything you need to know about these wokesters. They do not see people, only "identities" in their intersectionality totem pole. They don't have friends, only "allies". They don't have thoughts of their own, only "talking points".

We should have gatekept our hobbies.
Anon

Post by Anon »

AliciaDurge wrote: March 24th, 2024, 22:51
Oldtimer wrote: March 24th, 2024, 07:29
So much focusing in the woke in BG3 here, without adressing a more pressing issue with the game: the writing in general - which admittedly is why we have woke in the game as well, although I see that more as a symtom and not a cause. Simply put, BG3 is a badly written game, and it's mindboggling how much praise the game has gotten with all the rewards and whatnot.

Interestingly enough, the game was not as far as I know touched by SBI or any of tis equivalent companies, but Larian did that themselves. What is even more interesting is that BG3 is apparently an exception to the adage 'go woke, go broke' since it has sold very well. I have listened to a number of people on YT with about the same mindset as people here like Endymion, and even he - woke-alltergic as he is - likes BG3. Why? I can't tell. What I do suspect is that BG3 wields the same magic as the Cameron movie Avatar did, blinding people with effects when it's just a polished turd - or in Avatar's case, Pocahontas in space.

That in turn makes me think that people need to stop and reflect more on what they like/dislike, and why. Picking a game like BG3 apart will show the very shaky narrative structure, but it seems the fans are unable to do that. So I'd say people are willfully blind and stupid.
I love the game because in my taste, it's well written. Not because it has a woke narrative.
What did you like most in bg3 writing?
Rand

Post by Rand »

If the game was launched with all the content, playthroughs must've been easily reached 120h+ and people wouldn't have liked that.
Original BG games were long AF and we loved them for it.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

bg3 is longer than bg1 or bg2 individually, maybe bg2+tob approaching it
my bg3 playthrough was about 150 hours, doing everything
Anon

Post by Anon »

Rand wrote: March 25th, 2024, 02:49
If the game was launched with all the content, playthroughs must've been easily reached 120h+ and people wouldn't have liked that.
Original BG games were long AF and we loved them for it.
Sure but as I said previously we are minority. Most people nowadays don't want such a long campaign and Larian realized that and decided to mutilate content.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

rusty_shackleford wrote: August 14th, 2023, 00:49
BTW, major late act 3 spoiler which references act 1:
► Show Spoiler
Also, here's a tip:
Can't inspect something?
Just press 't'. Even if it doesn't have the inspect context menu, 't' still works.
Did anyone ever figure this out, btw?
@orinEsque ?
Anon

Post by Anon »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 25th, 2024, 02:54
bg3 is longer than bg1 or bg2 individually, maybe bg2+tob approaching it
my bg3 playthrough was about 150 hours, doing everything
Pretty sure bg2 takes longer than that especially if you go in blind. I think you're comparing a bg2 where you beeline main quest vs bg3 where you try to do everything
Last edited by Anon on March 25th, 2024, 02:57, edited 1 time in total.
Anon

Post by Anon »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 25th, 2024, 02:55
► Show Spoiler
Also, here's a tip:
Can't inspect something?
Just press 't'. Even if it doesn't have the inspect context menu, 't' still works.
@orinEsque ?
This is what I found about this content in bg3 wiki

https://bg3.wiki/wiki/Broken_Machinery

The wiki, which is pretty complete AFAIK, doesn't feature this item you've shown precisely, pretty curious.
Last edited by Anon on March 25th, 2024, 03:03, edited 1 time in total.
orinEsque

Post by orinEsque »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 25th, 2024, 02:55
► Show Spoiler
Also, here's a tip:
Can't inspect something?
@orinEsque ?
Yrre the Sparkstruck & Lenore De Hurst
These two have a love story starting all the way from underdark.

Edit: all of it are in books, letters, and equipment flavour text.
Last edited by orinEsque on March 25th, 2024, 03:09, edited 1 time in total.