D&D Primer

For all your tabletop & board game needs.
Bah! They don't even play at physical tabletops anymore.
MadPreacher

D&D Primer

Post by MadPreacher »

For those people that are confused about D&D and the editions here is a short primer.

1974: Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson published the original White Boxed Set.
1977: J. Eric Holmes rewrote the White Boxed Set that added in the Supplemental 1: Greyhawk from the original White Boxed Set. This is D&D Basic Set Version 1.
1977: Release of Advanced Dungeons and Dragons First Edition Monster Manual. This edition was geared for tournament play.
1978: AD&D 1E Player's Handbook was released.
1979: AD&D 1E DMG was finally released to allow people to play the full game for the first time.
1981: D&D Basic Set Version 2 by Tom Moldvay is released and is commonly referred to as B/X (Basic/Expert). This edition pushed it further away from AD&D.
1983: D&D Basic Set Version 3 by Frank Mentzer is released. This is the famous red boxed set. This is the beginning of BECMI (Basic, Expert, Companion, Master, and Immortal).
1989: Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Second Edition is released with all the books being published at the same time.
1991: BECMI was released into a single volume called Rules Cyclopedia.

All total there are 7 editions of Real D&D™ where the same mechanics were used. To recap there are 5 editions of D&D Basic and 2 editions of AD&D.

People that think that Wizards D&D branded fantasy games are D&D are idiots since it shares nothing in common with what Gary, Dave, and the TSR crew did. In fact, Monte Crook admitted to intentionally severing the link with Wizard's Fantasy Game 3.X. To call it D&D is to show contempt to Gary and crew and how much you hate the original game.

This post is geared for people like @J1M who are completely ignorant of Real D&D™.
J1M

Post by J1M »

You've explained your position in dozens of posts. I am aware of it, but I choose not to adopt your clunky terminology.
MadPreacher

Post by MadPreacher »

J1M wrote: February 20th, 2023, 23:11
You've explained your position in dozens of posts. I am aware of it, but I choose not to adopt your clunky terminology.
It's not clunky, but then you like Generic Fantasy Game 4E which is clunky...