Atomic Heart - Bioshock clone set in Soviet Russia

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Atomic Heart - Bioshock clone set in Soviet Russia

Post by wndrbr »

Looks like a directionless hodgepodge of Bioshock, Singularity, nuDoom, and half a dozen of other trendy shooters. Has some inventive visual designs, though.

I can't buy this game because for certain reasons it's not available in my country's Steam, so I'm going to vicariously experience it through your posts in this thread. Come on, bite the bullet, it's only $60. I'm totally not a shill :eyebrows:

Also, this game is currently surrounded by a minor controversy, which can be summed up in one picture
► Show Spoiler
agentorange

Post by agentorange »

it looks like a multi-million dollar unity asset flip. everything about it has the look of something that was made through freelancers, outsourcing, work from home, with little communication between any of the designers.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Listening to the soundtrack. Not Mick Gordon's score, the remixes of licensed soviet songs.

Good stuff, though the music came mostly from the 70-80s and should feel out of place in game's 50s setting.
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

I dont really like their marketing because it reminds me how Capcom made simps going nuts over femdom vampire in RE Village. I like sexy characters and all but that was pathetic and the character was grotesque too. Another problem is that gameplay looked underwhelming and the enemies spongy. Robots are one of the most boring enemies you can kill in any game, and this game seem to be focused on killing robots. The game not being available through steam was the last straw. But i dont think i even going to pirate it at this point.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Yeah I'm not buying or pirating it as well. Still, I'm glad that it's a success - fellow compatriots get some money, while 'support the current thing' faggots get assblasted.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Honestly it looks pretty good to me. I think it's weird to say the enemies are bullet spongey just from watching trailers. Has anyone mentioned this in reviews? I'll probably buy it once I run out of other things to play, which is probably going to happen within the next week.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

The Ministry of Digital Transformation will send an official letter to Sony, Microsoft and Valve to ban the sale of Atomic Heart in Ukraine
The Ministry of Digital Transformation of Ukraine plans to ask Sony, Microsoft and Valve to prohibit the sale of Atomic Heart in the country, said the deputy head of the ministry Alexander Bornyakov. According to him, the game was developed with money originating from sanctioned Russian enterprises and banks.

"We call for limiting the distribution of this game in other countries because the potential use of money raised from purchases of the game to wage war against Ukraine."

Bornyakov stressed that the developers of Atomic Heart from the Mundfish studio made no public statements against the actions of the Russian authorities.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Fargus wrote: February 22nd, 2023, 00:46
The game not being available through steam was the last straw.

edit: I'm dumb, disregard
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 22nd, 2023, 01:45
I know, i mean in my country. Like in Wunderbar's case.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

wndrbr wrote: February 22nd, 2023, 01:42
The Ministry of Digital Transformation will send an official letter to Sony, Microsoft and Valve to ban the sale of Atomic Heart in Ukraine
The Ministry of Digital Transformation of Ukraine plans to ask Sony, Microsoft and Valve to prohibit the sale of Atomic Heart in the country, said the deputy head of the ministry Alexander Bornyakov. According to him, the game was developed with money originating from sanctioned Russian enterprises and banks.

"We call for limiting the distribution of this game in other countries because the potential use of money raised from purchases of the game to wage war against Ukraine."

Bornyakov stressed that the developers of Atomic Heart from the Mundfish studio made no public statements against the actions of the Russian authorities.
https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/20 ... oft-valve/
Additionally, when asked, the developer hasn’t outright denounced the invasion of Ukraine,
maybe it's because russia currently has a very open-ended anti-war censorship law active? :scratch:

also, ukraine guy should go fuck himself for trying to stop me from buying games
all this sanction bullshit is getting on my nerves
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Fargus wrote: February 22nd, 2023, 01:47
I know, i mean in my country. Like in Wunderbar's case.
...huh. Why is it banned from sale in Russia?
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

VK (russian corporation that bankrolled this game) wants to have their own digital storefront, but they know that russian gamers won't migrate there. So they took a cue from Tim Sweeney, delisted Atomic Heart from Steam in CIS countries, and made it their store's killer app. Real clown shit.
Last edited by wndrbr on February 22nd, 2023, 02:09, edited 2 times in total.
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

Big mistake. We're too used sucking Gabe's dick like the rest of the world. And i dont want yet another shitty launcher.
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

wndrbr wrote: February 22nd, 2023, 01:56
VK (russian corporation that bankrolled this game) wants to have their own digital storefront, but they know that russian gamers won't migrate there. So they took a cue from Tim Sweeney, delisted Atomic Heart from Steam in CIS countries, and made it their store's killer app. Real clown shit.
It gets even better. Lets go Timmy route without making sure our shitty service even works like it's supposed to. 300iq move.

Google translate.
In Russia and the CIS, they banned buying Atomic Heart on Steam, offering a convenient VK Play service. As it turned out, the service has problems not only with payment. If you manage to download the game, then the problems will not end.

We already wrote that buying Atomic Heart in VK Play is not very convenient. Users complained that the service does not always accept their cards.

As it turned out, this is only the beginning of the problems of VK Play customers. Customers of Atomic Heart began to complain on the social network about the problems.

Atomic Heart is not easy to download in VK Play. Players complain about slow download speeds, as well as "endless freezes" of the experimental launcher. There are also complaints that buyers of the game disappeared from the library just like that. Some users regret the purchase on VK Play and are interested in how to return the money.

If somehow buyers of Atomic Heart on VK Play can download the game, then the problems will not end.

For example, Sergey Yanush warned that using a VPN with VK Play turned on is dangerous. He said he decided to play Atomic Heart after work. At the launch, they offered to buy the game for $10 (using a German VPN) - they took away the game he bought on VK Play.

He tried logging out and back in again (no VPN), but he was facing endless downloads. It is noteworthy that the game was still displayed in the profile. After some time, Atomic Heart did return. Judging by the comments, Atomic Heart tends to disappear from the VK Play library even if you don't use a VPN.

With the launch of Atomic Heart in VK Play, everything is also complicated.

Maxim Muravyov described his experience of buying Atomic Heart on VK Play in the following way: “This service does everything to make Atomic Heart the first and last game that I bought in this something that cannot even be called a store or something else. that year and now I want to download it, but unfortunately it somehow thinks that I didn’t buy the game. Just a dead service from the start."

In Russia and the CIS, Atomic Heart is available exclusively on VK Play. The game was banned from Steam. The release in VK Play took place later than on other platforms.
https://ixbt.games/news/2023/02/21/kupi ... uskae.html
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

https://www.polygon.com/guides/23606367 ... ceful-atom
Atomic Heart is twice as fun on easy mode
Though developer Mundfish describes Peaceful Atom as “only the plot will keep you on your toes,” I’ve found it to be anything but.
BlueMemphis
Turtle
Turtle

Post by BlueMemphis »

Like hogwarts, didnt know anything about this game until people started making a fuss about it.
Based russian bioshock sounds like an allright pitch to me so hopefully game is ok.
IAnother problem is that gameplay looked underwhelming and the enemies spongy. Robots are one of the most boring enemies you can kill in any game, and this game seem to be focused on killing robots.
As someone playing through Binary Domain atm I have serious contention with these 2 sentences. You only perceive robots as boring because they tend to be used as boring bullet sponges without flavor. When really the fun thing about robot enemies should be the ability to dismantle them piece by piece whilst it still tries to crawl towards you to strangle you with its last limb.
If you remember the gore system in soldier of fortune, the appeal of fighting robots should be similar to the catharsis derived there from seeing your enemy get visibly fucked up.

Shame atomic heart doesnt seem to do this or it would be an insta buy for me.
Last edited by BlueMemphis on February 22nd, 2023, 23:37, edited 1 time in total.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 22nd, 2023, 20:57
https://www.polygon.com/guides/23606367 ... ceful-atom
Atomic Heart is twice as fun on easy mode
Though developer Mundfish describes Peaceful Atom as “only the plot will keep you on your toes,” I’ve found it to be anything but.
So journos are just openly admitting that they are terrible at games now? Sad. I see many readers admitting the same in the comments too.
Lhynn
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Lhynn »

I dont really like their marketing because it reminds me how Capcom made simps going nuts over femdom vampire in RE Village. I like sexy characters and all but that was pathetic and the character was grotesque too. Another problem is that gameplay looked underwhelming and the enemies spongy. Robots are one of the most boring enemies you can kill in any game, and this game seem to be focused on killing robots. The game not being available through steam was the last straw. But i dont think i even going to pirate it at this point.
Only reason I even paid attention to the game is because of the marketing. Over the top, oversexualized.

I think gaming was a better place when thots where in game boots wearing leather.

I think this whole thing about sanitizing the medium has brought it down and I cant wait for all that shit to burn down.

Pander to horny guys and you cant go wrong.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Saw a lot of butthurt about the main character 'sounding like duke nukem', which sounds awesome to me.
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

Lhynn wrote: February 23rd, 2023, 01:07
Only reason I even paid attention to the game is because of the marketing. Over the top, oversexualized.

I think gaming was a better place when thots where in game boots wearing leather.

I think this whole thing about sanitizing the medium has brought it down and I cant wait for all that shit to burn down.

Pander to horny guys and you cant go wrong.
It was. Games being male oriented is a good thing in general, i agree. When devs used to design sexy and girly female characters that would make modern feminist trash write a bunch of articles about male gaze or some bullshit. I'm just fucking tired to see simp comments like "Please, dominate me robot mommy\tall vampire lady!" each time a dev studio decides to throw a bone to these retards.

On the other hand its fucking hilarious to see ukrainians trying to pass as progressive europeans pretending to be assblasted about evil commies sexualizing poor robots.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 23rd, 2023, 02:10
Saw a lot of butthurt about the main character 'sounding like duke nukem', which sounds awesome to me.
MC doesn't sound like Duke Nukem, he just constantly swears. And it's not even an inventive swearing, like in Bulletstorm. He just says a lot of "fuck" and "shit".
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

wndrbr wrote: February 23rd, 2023, 02:37
rusty_shackleford wrote: February 23rd, 2023, 02:10
MC doesn't sound like Duke Nukem, he just constantly swears. And it's not even an inventive swearing, like in Bulletstorm. He just says a lot of "fuck" and "shit".
Bulletstorm was annoying as fuck to me and this actually sounds less annoying.
NEG
Turtle
Turtle

Post by NEG »

Is this Russian Wakanda?

>Blyaaaat, if not fo whitey, we'd be kangz with hovering robots and lasers and androids that have weird android sex. Blyaaaat.
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

Main character is annoying and his interactions with others are borderline psychotic
A fresh of breath air. If a main character that acts like Duke Nukem or Sterling Arch offends you, or posters of sexy women (not anime little girls with huge knockers and voices of toddlers) also offends you, or if you need your fix of the rainbow cult ideology, this isn't for you. It's a man's man game. Like Bioshock but more interesting with more systems to mess with.
I think it sounds cringe because the devs translate some stuff weirdly. like your employer calling you ''my bro''. might be worth playing in Russian with subtitles lol
I feel in this case the localisation is absolutely why the dialog in this game is often cringy, there's lots of little indicators like the 'my bro' thing. The translation isn't very good and then none of the voice actors received proper direction for the dialog that's there. There's an Eastern European 'modern bad ass action-hero' trope that is very different from the western one (ie, Duke Nukem), they're kind of weary, sarcastic, almost flippant in a way that often gets localized into exactly what we got here: total ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥.

I wanted Fallout in Russia...
but instead Atomic Heart is Duke Nukem Forever...

The main character is obnoxious and swears every 5th word for no reason. Even a little old granny says "eat ♥♥♥♥ and die"
Some steam comments.