We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

The Fallout 2 question

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Fargus wrote: February 22nd, 2023, 00:16
Can't say i like Atom. But it's not a bad game. They put a lot of effort into it. Is Trudograd any good?
it's like PST to BG. Urban setting, tons of walking and talking, the amount of combat encounters can be counted on one hand. I'd say it's pretty good, but if you want to travel the wastes, blast raiders and loot stuff, then Trudograd won't be your cup of tea.
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

wndrbr wrote: February 22nd, 2023, 01:25
Can't say i like Atom. But it's not a bad game. They put a lot of effort into it. Is Trudograd any good?
it's like PST to BG. Urban setting, tons of walking and talking, the amount of combat encounters can be counted on one hand.
That's strange. I mean why bother adding power armor then?
viata

Post by viata »

Shillitron wrote: February 22nd, 2023, 00:21
The real question, what's worse? Fallout 3 or Fallout 4.
Any person that has an answer to that question have played both games and at that point you can ignore that person's opinion in most games. He clearly lacks any taste in gaming.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Fargus wrote: February 22nd, 2023, 01:36
wndrbr wrote: February 22nd, 2023, 01:25
it's like PST to BG. Urban setting, tons of walking and talking, the amount of combat encounters can be counted on one hand.
That's strange. I mean why bother adding power armor then?
Because it's cool.
Lhynn
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Lhynn »

I found 3 to be better than 4 because it had that strange uncanny valley quality where nothing quite made sense. It was like you were playing in a fever dream, but not really.

I found the whole game kind of disturbing, like you were inside the mind of an asylum patient. It wasnt just zany, it was bonkers, but it was not self aware at all, it was like the writers werent in on the joke.

That quality to me sets it apart from 4, which is mostly by the numbers, competent shooting, and built almost like fallout 2 was. With an inconsistent tone, where every location feels like it belongs to an entirely different region, even if they are just a street away. But overall toothless, harmless, dumb.

In a way fallout 3 is bethesdas attempt at making fallout 1, while 4 is their attempt at trying to make fallout 2.

tl;dr: fallout 3 made me feel something, fallout 4 was just existential dread for all 3 hours it lasted on my computer. That said they are both shit, the first one just seems to at least have a soul.
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

I genuinely enjoyed both F1 and F2. I thought F2 was better on the whole, perhaps because I played that game first — but no pop culture references bothered me in either game. Honestly they were on par with other RPGs of the time. That kind of thing was expected because in the late 90s RPGs were not a "serious business".

Love both, and FO:NV as well. All good stuff.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Fallout 3 is just a bunch of shitty cargo cultish quests from people who didn't (and still don't) understand why Fallout was any good. And also some stolen plotlines from Star Trek: Voyager.