Wandering sword - Open world wuxia themed rpg

And related anime RPGs go here.
UwU
Lhynn
Turtle
Turtle

Wandering sword - Open world wuxia themed rpg

Post by Lhynn »

Noticed mortismal gaming put out a video about it, it looks very promising.

Havent tried the demo yet, tempted but I kind of want to just play when its done.

Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Yeah, this demo was good. Very nice grid battles and the overworld interactions with NPCs were fun.

Wasn't sure what I was going to get from a Chinaman's SRPG, but this exceeded my expectations.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Interestingly enough, the Chinese seem to take far more cues from Western cRPGs than they do from Japanese jRPGs, or at least that's the impression I got from the few chink RPGs I played. Character creation, choices and consequences, skill checks, the way the combat is designed etc.

Even more interestingly, this doesn't seem to be a recent trend. Prince of Qin came out in 2002 and seems to be heavily inspired by Diablo and Baldur's Gate - IIRC the developers themselves said that Baldur's Gate was a major inspiration for them.
Lhynn
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Lhynn »

Always been like that, chinks love numbers and simulations. You do have some chink games like the paladin series, which is heavily inspired by FF (Or best described as just a cheap knock off). But most chink games are about exploring a fairly simulationist world, even if populated with people that are into magic martial arts.
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

I tried the demo, and it wasn't bad. Dueling the NPCs for their skill books is extremely grindy, you have to beat them 20+ times for a decent shot at even getting them, and there's a lot of NPCs with skill books, and some of the NPCs have a few of them. Maybe it's like that to pad hours in the demo, but if its like that in the actual game, then it's an easy pass for me.

It would make more sense if you learned the skills not from books, but by seeing others use them in duels. Martial arts is trained by sparring.