We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Zodiac Legion: A tactical RPG with kingdom building elements

For discussing tactical and strategy games. What's the difference between tactics and strategy anyways?
Galdred
Developer

Post by Galdred »

You make good points about firearms. One remaining issue is that they also tend to "compete" with magic, sometimes literally, like in Arcanum, or to a lesser extent, Warhammer (Dwarves have firearms and almost no magic, while elves have tons of magic and no firearms. Only the Empire and Skaven have a bit of both, but usually, no enchanted Blunderbuss).
Anyway, that is something I would like to add. It is also one of the few forms of dual wielding I am ok with (that and sword + dagger), but it probably won't happen for the EA launch, because we already have a ton to do until then.
We may have cannons, though, because they came earlier (as in, they became battlefield worthy earlier), and they make fun interactive props (like the catapults of Warbanners).
BobT wrote: January 29th, 2024, 20:54
Regarding random levels, can you mix in a few hand-designed ones too? Sometimes can't beat a really well designed level. Fine to mix in some autogen ones to cut down on labour and give variance, though.

Still would love to see "special moves" grow as they learn more or gain proficiency. Adding more slashes a combo, for example.
As for random levels, they are only partially randomized:
We followed the OG X-COM/XCOM 2 formula of having a fixed "slotted" map with preset areas to place into it:

With the presets being predefined (even though they may contain smaller presets themselves, or props that will depend on the map parameters, like banners, and such):

Tweed wrote: January 29th, 2024, 19:55
But what about PoC and trans representation?
We have a wide selection of gender/color neutral portraits to accomodate this issue.

Last edited by Galdred on February 13th, 2024, 17:14, edited 1 time in total.
BobT

Post by BobT »

Sounds great!
And simple firearms just for a ranged option for some would be fine. Magic would be far more spectacular regardless lol. As mentioned I'd love a short "whoosh" animation with them powering up before casting. Really gives the "powerful" feel.

Same with the walking animations, big heavy guys should "tromp" over to where you clicked, and only the lighter ones should skitter. Ofc give a "fast animations" config option for those who want it all to move super quickly.

As to the portraits, great! The skeleton one should cater perfectly for the troons.
Galdred
Developer

Post by Galdred »

I posted a steam demo update with a tutorial. The mission linking is a bit of a mess now (you only get dead characters out of missions for now!), but I'll work on it as soon as I have finished ironing out the micro issues related to the tutorial.

I also plan to add images as we did for the help text before, because wall of texts may not be the best at introducing game mechanics:

Last edited by Galdred on April 5th, 2024, 12:26, edited 1 time in total.
BobT

Post by BobT »

Thankyou! I'll give it a go soon. :)