The Legend of Zelda - Tears of the Kingdom

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
Gastrick
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gastrick »

It's like this puzzle here, that it's more annoying than it looks for people trying it the first time:

Last edited by Gastrick on May 21st, 2023, 19:31, edited 1 time in total.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 20th, 2023, 17:00
Segata Sanshiro wrote: May 20th, 2023, 16:49
Idiocracymeme.jpg

It's not ok to bully 6 year olds.

Dear god I hope that's a 6 year old.
It's a woman, so the mental equivalent.
Gastrick wrote: May 20th, 2023, 19:45
isn't as simple as it looks for people trying it the first time
Really? I think it took me less than 15 seconds. Edit: the Zelda one, I mean. I only glanced at the image you posted.
DJOGamer

Post by DJOGamer »

KnightoftheWind wrote: May 20th, 2023, 16:18
"I want Zelda to play like every other open world game!"
What other open-world game even plays like BotW?
The overworld design puts it more closely to something like Morrowind or Gothic
Then the highly systemic design ressembles more an immersive sim, which further removes it from your cookie-cutter AAA open world game
and some gimmick slapped on
Gimmicks was what the series resorted heavily after Twilight Princess
Clunky controller interfaces and rehashings of older titles with half-baked ideas thrown interfaces
A pathetic parody of what came before
The traditional style was distinct, and never got boring.
My 13 year old self would like to have a word with you
Also, you are getting dangeroulsy close to fanboyism
we knew what we wanted from this franchise and we wanted more of it.
Now this IS fanboyism
The series was becoming more and more stagnant, the campgains ever more uninspired and the gameplay less engaging by the entry
Yet, this is ok because we know exactely what we were getting?
Kek
Excuse me for quoting back at you, but given the irony present this shouldn't be ignored
Like slop being poured into a pig troff, you lined up and paid
"Oh well it seems this dish is getting increasingly bland, but hey it is what I ordered... so more please!"
Fucking hilarious
Zelda isn't Zelda anymore, so why should older fans even bother?
Fans should bother exactely because Zelda is Zelda again
BotW managed to recapture the fundamental spirit that made the series great to begin with and unfortunately had been lost for most games after Majora's Mask - a sense of adventure.

That was the essence of these games
Not the narrative, not the overworld, not the dungeons, not the items or the enemies - but the way the game designed those elements to exalt the player's travels and ordeals to something grander than they actually were
And BotW achieved just that, I couldn't believe it until I played it myself.

Is it a tightly designed masterpice like Majora's Mask?
Far from it
Is it free from annoying and boring bullshit?
No
But, for the first time in years this series is brimming with potential
And I hope they manage to realise every ounce of it in another excellent game
It was the Zelda team themselves that didn't feel like trying anymore
And that was the best decision they could've made
The results speak for themselves
Besides, imo it takes courage to abandon a safe, easy formula to instead pursue an unsure, yet inventive path
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

DJOGamer wrote: May 21st, 2023, 18:46
"I want Zelda to play like every other open world game!"
What other open-world game even plays like BotW?
The overworld design puts it more closely to something like Morrowind or Gothic
Then the highly systemic design ressembles more an immersive sim, which further removes it from your cookie-cutter AAA open world game
and some gimmick slapped on
Gimmicks was what the series resorted heavily after Twilight Princess
Clunky controller interfaces and rehashings of older titles with half-baked ideas thrown interfaces
A pathetic parody of what came before
The traditional style was distinct, and never got boring.
My 13 year old self would like to have a word with you
Also, you are getting dangeroulsy close to fanboyism
we knew what we wanted from this franchise and we wanted more of it.
Now this IS fanboyism
The series was becoming more and more stagnant, the campgains ever more uninspired and the gameplay less engaging by the entry
Yet, this is ok because we know exactely what we were getting?
Kek
Excuse me for quoting back at you, but given the irony present this shouldn't be ignored
Like slop being poured into a pig troff, you lined up and paid
"Oh well it seems this dish is getting increasingly bland, but hey it is what I ordered... so more please!"
Fucking hilarious
Zelda isn't Zelda anymore, so why should older fans even bother?
Fans should bother exactely because Zelda is Zelda again
BotW managed to recapture the fundamental spirit that made the series great to begin with and unfortunately had been lost for most games after Majora's Mask - a sense of adventure.

That was the essence of these games
Not the narrative, not the overworld, not the dungeons, not the items or the enemies - but the way the game designed those elements to exalt the player's travels and ordeals to something grander than they actually were
And BotW achieved just that, I couldn't believe it until I played it myself.

Is it a tightly designed masterpice like Majora's Mask?
Far from it
Is it free from annoying and boring bullshit?
No
But, for the first time in years this series is brimming with potential
And I hope they manage to realise every ounce of it in another excellent game
It was the Zelda team themselves that didn't feel like trying anymore
And that was the best decision they could've made
The results speak for themselves
Besides, imo it takes courage to abandon a safe, easy formula to instead pursue an unsure, yet inventive path
All of this is you projecting your own distaste for the franchise. I'm sorry you never liked genuine Zelda, but the series didn't need to change just for you. You completely missed the whole point of the games pre-Skyward Sword. It was the narrative and the dungeon design that kept people coming back, it's what we looked forward too every time a new game was announced. "Oh boy I wonder what cool environments I'll get to see?, what items will I get to use?, what will the story be like this time?". Zelda stood on it's own for many a release, you couldn't compare them to anything else. Now you can, and it's sad.

I mean, "immersive sim"?, "plays like Morrowind or Gothic"?. Have you even played the games you've mentioned?. Breath of the Wild has very little in common with both. It plays far more like a modern-day Far Cry or Skyrim than the likes of Morrowind and Gothic.
SDG

Post by SDG »

Lol comparing the recent Zeldas to the likes of Far Cry and Skyrim is so disengenuous. You're comparing 5 star alaskan crab to fucking happy meals.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

Whenever Zelda story takes away control from my character it is shit. These aren't characters. There is no plot. They are archetypes and I don't want to read shitty prose when I am playing a game. If it didn't have the branding, nobody would make it through the insufferable prologues.
KnightoftheWind

J1M wrote: May 21st, 2023, 22:29
Whenever Zelda story takes away control from my character it is shit. These aren't characters. There is no plot. They are archetypes and I don't want to read shitty prose when I am playing a game. If it didn't have the branding, nobody would make it through the insufferable prologues.
Story is necessary for a franchise to continue. Unlike Mario, Zelda is a series that requires it in order to be consistently interesting in the long run. You need that background flavour, and cutscenes to compliment your progression. You can't have every game start like the original on the NES. How many times can you start a game with "dude in green pyjamas stands in middle of field".

Zelda stories aren't Shakespeare, but they're a lot better than people often give them credit for. Seethe and cope.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

When people say they do not care about story in Zelda games I get the impression they do not want the franchise to ever move forward.
SDG

Post by SDG »

You guys also fans of Dr. Seuss? That's the equivalent of Zelda's storytelling. I do not play these games for their storytelling.
KnightoftheWind

SDG wrote: May 21st, 2023, 23:49
You guys also fans of Dr. Seuss? That's the equivalent of Zelda's storytelling. I do not play these games for their storytelling.
Ganondorf's character from Wind Waker alone is better than anything Dr.Seuss or other children's authors wrote. You could boil down the story of most games and RPGs down to nothing.
SDG

Post by SDG »

KnightoftheWind wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 00:09

Ganondorf's character from Wind Waker alone is better than anything Dr.Seuss or other children's authors wrote.
Well holy shit that is quite a feat innit.
Gastrick
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gastrick »

KnightoftheWind wrote: May 21st, 2023, 23:43
You need cutscenes to compliment your progression.
Fuck your bullshit.
KnightoftheWind

Gastrick wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 01:31
Fuck your bullshit.
Sorry your opinion is wrong, retard. Try developing better tastes in games.
KnightoftheWind

SDG wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 01:11
KnightoftheWind wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 00:09

Ganondorf's character from Wind Waker alone is better than anything Dr.Seuss or other children's authors wrote.
Well holy shit that is quite a feat innit.
I'm refuting your statement, you said that Zelda's storytelling is the equivalent to Dr.Seuss. I am saying that the motivations for just 'one' character in The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, beats anything Dr.Seuss ever chose to write for his books. So yes, by how low of a bar you set for this franchise, it does in fact surpass them. To quite a large degree.

Now if you had said something along the lines of "Does it surpass Dune?" or "Does it surpass The Lord of the Rings?". Then I'd have to say, no, it does not. But for what it's worth, the Zelda franchise has a number of well-told stories that get the job done and then some.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

this game is just one of those mod compilations for skyrim with a bunch of mods that don't belong together combined with a lot of modder's megalomania
Gastrick
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gastrick »

KnightoftheWind wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 03:42
Fuck your bullshit.
For not liking games with lots of cutscenes?

P.S. Zelda is not a storyfag series, everyone knows this.
KnightoftheWind

Gastrick wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 04:24

Fuck your bullshit.
For not liking games with lots of cutscenes?

P.S. Zelda is not a storyfag series, everyone knows this.
Gee you must only play games from the 1980s because most games made since then have had cutscenes, sometimes lots of them. The only issue people bring up when talking about older Zeldas is their slow start, particularly Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword (non-HD version). Despite that, both fulfil a purpose. To acclimate the player with the setting and the backstory of Link prior to his journey.

All Zelda games depict the classical "hero's journey". All of them start you off as an everyman, and you grow to embody the role of a hero and defeat the great evil that threatens the Kingdom. None of these games would be the same, or nearly as memorable, if their cutscenes were removed and if the devs just started you off in the middle of Hyrule Field like some fever dream. When people talked about Breath of the Wild in past-tense, they never bring up any specific moment in-game that they found memorable or exciting. Because the game has none. It's just a blank slate where you can meander anywhere you want, kinda sorta get stronger, and kinda sorta beat the final boss after fighting four identical dungeon bosses. That is if you even bother to do that part, because apparently you can just skip 99% of the game and face Ganon from the start. Armed with a stick and a half-eaten bag of Doritos.

It's like a post-modern video game. There's no meaning to anything, no significance to anything you do, and the game ends unceremoniously as if nothing mattered. The perfect game for ageing millennials and zoomers.
Gastrick
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gastrick »

KnightoftheWind wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 04:32
Gee you must only play games from the 1980s because most games made since then have had cutscenes, sometimes lots of them.
And they suck every time, that cutscenes/cinematics take control away from the player for a poorly-told story; which takes them out of the game. Games like Bioshock have a better approach of melding the story into the gameplay, so it never pauses unnecessarily. Also games that give the player control over their character, so they can control what the character says instead of having to sit through some tiring cutscene. Give them some control over what is happening. Also that VN-style text that a play reads and clicks through is a better story-telling format than video. Rather than there be periodic cutscenes to "compliment your progression", they should be used as sparingly as possible, if at all.

I already said earlier that I don't see Zelda games the same way you do, but will chime in that Link to the Past is the best one, and didn't have any cutscenes.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

cutscenes were meant to be a stopgap as we entered real time 3D, not a destination
KnightoftheWind

Gastrick wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 05:24
Gee you must only play games from the 1980s because most games made since then have had cutscenes, sometimes lots of them.
And they suck every time, that cutscenes/cinematics take control away from the player for a poorly-told story; which takes them out of the game. Games like Bioshock have a better approach of melding the story into the gameplay, so it never pauses unnecessarily. Also games that give the player control over their character, so they can control what the character says instead of having to sit through some tiring cutscene. Give them some control over what is happening. Also that VN-style text that a play reads and clicks through is a better story-telling format than video. Rather than there be periodic cutscenes to "compliment your progression", they should be used as sparingly as possible, if at all.

I already said earlier that I don't see Zelda games the same way you do, but will chime in that Link to the Past is the best one, and didn't have any cutscenes.
But the cutscenes are something many look back on with fondness when discussing older Zelda games. I think the problem is how long the cutscenes last, rather then the cutscenes themselves. Wind Waker did it's introduction very well, and it made players care more about Link as a protagonist in his quest to rescue his sister. During the development of Twilight Princess, the Ordon Village prologue was only supposed to last for "1 day", but they expanded it to "3 days" which meant a slower start. This was because of the Wii's launch, and the designers insistence to ease new players into the series.

A franchise like Zelda doesn't need a lot of cutscenes, and in fact they don't have very many. It's just bad timing that caused the developers to add more bloat where they probably shouldn't.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

I never thought I would see so many bad takes on my favorite series lined up in a line like this.
Gastrick
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gastrick »

KnightoftheWind wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 15:23
But the cutscenes are something many look back on with fondness when discussing older Zelda games.
Ocarina of Time and all its copies were boring games where you solve child puzzles and run around an empty map while fighting one enemy each hour. They're not fun. Breath of the Wild has its flaws, but I'll always congratulate it for breaking the formula that was never good to begin with.
KnightoftheWind

Gastrick wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 16:18
KnightoftheWind wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 15:23
But the cutscenes are something many look back on with fondness when discussing older Zelda games.
Ocarina of Time and all its copies were boring games where you solve child puzzles and run around an empty map while fighting one enemy each hour. They're not fun. Breath of the Wild has its flaws, but I'll always congratulate it for breaking the formula that was never good to begin with.
So you're only happy when a Zelda game plays nothing like a Zelda game, alrighty.
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

Some of the puzzle shrines appear more complicated than they actually are. I ran into one that had 2 additional rooms off to the side that weren't necessary at all for the completion of the puzzle, or getting the chest.
DJOGamer

Post by DJOGamer »

KnightoftheWind wrote: May 21st, 2023, 21:03
All of this is you projecting your own distaste for the franchise.
Reading comprehension
Disappointment is not distaste
And despite that, I was being objective over the series flaws
Can't say the same about you...
I'm sorry you never liked genuine Zelda
You don't even read the posts you reply to, do you?
It was the narrative and the dungeon design that kept people coming back, it's what we looked forward too every time a new game was announced.
Kek
Absolutely not
As the series went on the narrative got cumbersome, intruding too much on gameplay - it also was becaming increasingly derivative
And the Dungeons aren't the end-all and be-all of these games
Like I said, it's the sense of aventure that permeates a campaign that was the true heart of Zelda
And you can't build that with just the plot and the dungeons serving as your pillars
The Dungeons serve as satisfying final challenges for the each "chapter" of the main quest - a climax if will, but the impact of a climax depends on the quality of build-up established by the preceding events
"Oh boy I wonder what cool environments I'll get to see?, what items will I get to use?, what will the story be like this time?".
You aren't even consistent with your own arguments
Or have you forgotten that BotW, for a Zelda game, actually features new elements in those aspects?
Specially in regards to the environments, we get to explore biomes that the series never presented before and we get to do it a in very well designed overworld
Zelda stood on it's own for many a release, you couldn't compare them to anything else. Now you can, and it's sad.
There have been plenty Zelda clones all the way back to the SNES retard and surprisingly many of them are quite good
I mean, "immersive sim"?, "plays like Morrowind or Gothic"?. Have you even played the games you've mentioned?. Breath of the Wild has very little in common with both. It plays far more like a modern-day Far Cry or Skyrim than the likes of Morrowind and Gothic.
I have
I can't say the same for you...
I am beginning to think you didn't even play BotW
I mean, if you don't know what Systemic Gameplay is and can't even recognize the emergent qualities to BotW's gameplay, then you shouldn't make statements about things you don't seem to understand about.

Also I said: "The overworld design puts it more closely to something like Morrowind or Gothic"
Specifically referring to "overworld design"
Not that it "plays like Morrowind or Gothic"
See this is the problem with poor reading comprehension...
You can't have every game start like the original on the NES. How many times can you start a game with "dude in green pyjamas stands in middle of field".
Says who?
If that allows the player to get right into the action then there's nothing wrong with it, you can experience the narrative as you along.
Shit even from a videogame storytelling standpoint it is far superior to start with a short premise than lengthy exposition dump or a drawn-out segment about the protagonist's banal background
This way you can start off from a simple yet intriguing idea and gradually build upon the narrative - this far more engaging for the players
Not mention it is how the best Zelda games start off their adventures
Despite that, both fulfil a purpose. To acclimate the player with the setting and the backstory of Link prior to his journey.
:groan:
You do realise those things can be accomplished far more elegantly through gameplay alone, right?
Try developing better tastes in games.
Another moment of peak irony from the fanboy that thinks Skyward Sword's insultingly easy dungeons have actually A tier good shit...
It's like a post-modern video game. There's no meaning to anything, no significance to anything you do, and the game ends unceremoniously as if nothing mattered. The perfect game for ageing millennials and zoomers.
You sir, are a stupendous smooth brain pretentious fanboy that doesn't even know what he knows.

And this discussion as become as annoyingly boring as Wind Waker's overworld.

So for now, I am going to check out of this thread until I complete this game...
POOPERSCOOPER

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I'm thinking about buying a Switch just to play this game but usually I just buy games and don't end up playing them, helpz me.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

POOPERSCOOPER wrote: May 24th, 2023, 18:57
I'm thinking about buying a Switch just to play this game but usually I just buy games and don't end up playing them, helpz me.
Pirate it and play it on an emulator?
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

I would pirate it but my PC is too shitty. Honestly would rather play the remake of Link's Awakening atm. :geek:
KnightoftheWind

Tears of the Kingdom should've been a new IP. I could easily envision it as some steampunk-esque fantasy game where you combine things and traverse an open world. I think the current dev team for Zelda is tired of the franchise and wants to do something else, but since they aren't allowed to they just funnel whatever new stuff they can into the Zelda mould.

I can easily say that Link's Awakening will provide you a far greater 'Zelda' experience than Tears of the Kingdom will.