The Legend of Zelda - Tears of the Kingdom

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

MadPreacher wrote: May 15th, 2023, 18:02
J1M wrote: May 15th, 2023, 14:11
The items in the dungeons lock you out of exploring the world in Zelda (NES). It's a wide hallway where finding the next dungeon is part of the gameplay, but it's not an open world game.
I guess these authors are wrong then huh?

Big Book of Zelda: The Unofficial Guidebook

IGN India discusses game design: Combat in open world games

15 Most Influential Games of All Time

How The Legend of Zelda Changed Video Games

Open World Deep Dive Wikipedia

That's at least four sources stating that Zelda is an open world game. They used the same definition I did. What do you have besides your opinion?
Fact: The Legend of Zelda has zero towers to climb. :lol:

Fact: Everyone posting here agrees that game journalists have bad opinions.
MadPreacher

Post by MadPreacher »

J1M wrote: May 15th, 2023, 18:19
MadPreacher wrote: May 15th, 2023, 18:02
J1M wrote: May 15th, 2023, 14:11
The items in the dungeons lock you out of exploring the world in Zelda (NES). It's a wide hallway where finding the next dungeon is part of the gameplay, but it's not an open world game.
I guess these authors are wrong then huh?

Big Book of Zelda: The Unofficial Guidebook

IGN India discusses game design: Combat in open world games

15 Most Influential Games of All Time

How The Legend of Zelda Changed Video Games

Open World Deep Dive Wikipedia

That's at least four sources stating that Zelda is an open world game. They used the same definition I did. What do you have besides your opinion?
Fact: The Legend of Zelda has zero towers to climb. :lol:

Fact: Everyone posting here agrees that game journalists have bad opinions.
So Ultima isn't an open world game because it doesn't have towers to climb? Elite (1984) isn't an open world game because it doesn't have towers to climb?

See how retarded your position is when you use a modern invention of open world gaming to define past open world games.

The lack of towers is not what defines an open world game. What defines an open world game is the ability to go anywhere in the world since you're not constrained to a single map aka closed world. You do know that words have definitions?

Also, did you check the dates of the articles? They're all before the current madness.

Do you have anything intelligent to say? Do you have any evidence that backs up your point of view? No? Then you are fucking retarded like all Zoomers and Millennials.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

It was a joke, mate.

I concede that there's a definition of open world that could include Zelda, but if I really cared to I'd try to outline how it would make more sense to add an "overworld" category that sits in-between a level-based dungeon crawl like Tomb Raider 2 and an open world game like a recent Far Cry. That way we don't have to retroactively label something like Soul Reaver a forefather of open world gaming.
MadPreacher

Post by MadPreacher »

J1M wrote: May 15th, 2023, 20:39
It was a joke, mate.

I concede that there's a definition of open world that could include Zelda, but if I really cared to I'd try to outline how it would make more sense to add an "overworld" category that sits in-between a level-based dungeon crawl like Tomb Raider 2 and an open world game like a recent Far Cry. That way we don't have to retroactively label something like Soul Reaver a forefather of open world gaming.
If you actually read the article on Open World I provided Legacy of Kain 2 fails as an open world. It's not even listed as an open world game in the article itself.

This goes back to the original definition of open and closed world games.

This is a closed world game. You can only go on this map until all the pellets are eaten and changes the map. That's the win condition. The fail condition is you lose all of your lives.

Ultima 1 is the prime example of an open world game. You had a linear story, but you could go anywhere in the OVERWORLD. See that little castle on the left hand side? That's a town and the view shifted to a first person perspective. Dungeons also shifted to a first person perspective. Note that the shifting of perspective isn't necessary for a game to be open world. The only criteria is that you can go anywhere. That's why Legend of Zelda is an open world game. You can go anywhere. There are caves, dungeons, towns, and water that you can travel to using the OVERWORLD. That's why I said originally that Legend of Zelda is an open world game when Maidenretard wrongly said that Breath of the Wild is the first open world Zelda game.

Be a man and accept that you and Maidenretard are fucking wrong.
Last edited by MadPreacher on May 15th, 2023, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

MadPreacher wrote: May 15th, 2023, 20:51
J1M wrote: May 15th, 2023, 20:39
It was a joke, mate.

If you actually read the article on Open World I provided Legacy of Kain 2 fails as an open world. It's not even listed as an open world game in the article itself.

This goes back to the original definition of open and closed world games.

This is a closed world game. You can only go on this map until all the pellets are eaten and changes the map. That's the win condition. The fail condition is you lose all of your lives.

Ultima 1 is the prime example of an open world game. You had a linear story, but you could go anywhere in the OVERWORLD. See that little castle on the left hand side? That's a town and the view shifted to a first person perspective. Dungeons also shifted to a first person perspective. Note that the shifting of perspective isn't necessary for a game to be open world. The only criteria is that you can go anywhere. That's why Legend of Zelda is an open world game. You can go anywhere. There are caves, dungeons, towns, and water that you can travel to using the OVERWORLD. That's why I said originally that Legend of Zelda is an open world game when Maidenretard wrongly said that Breath of the Wild is the first open world Zelda game.

Be a man and accept that you and Maindenretard are fucking wrong.
But Breath of the Wild is the first MODERN "open world" game, in the Bethesda and Ubisoft style. Not the classic definition of "open world", which is what every Zelda game has been. Every Zelda had an overworld that you could explore and find secrets in, the only difference is that some areas were blocked off if you didn't have the correct item yet.
MadPreacher

Post by MadPreacher »

KnightoftheWind wrote: May 15th, 2023, 21:00
But Breath of the Wild is the first MODERN "open world" game, in the Bethesda and Ubisoft style. Not the classic definition of "open world", which is what every Zelda game has been. Every Zelda had an overworld that you could explore and find secrets in, the only difference is that some areas were blocked off if you didn't have the correct item yet.
What a difference an adjective makes. The original statement was that Breath of the Wild is the first open world Zelda game. Maidenretard didn't say the Breath of the Wild is the first modern open world Zelda game. If he had said that then I wouldn't have corrected his retarded ignorant ass.
KnightoftheWind

MadPreacher wrote: May 15th, 2023, 21:12
KnightoftheWind wrote: May 15th, 2023, 21:00
What a difference an adjective makes. The original statement was that Breath of the Wild is the first open world Zelda game. Maidenretard didn't say the Breath of the Wild is the first modern open world Zelda game. If he had said that then I wouldn't have corrected his retarded ignorant ass.
You're just being pedantic, we know there have been many "open world" games before. But most of them aren't the Bethesda/Ubisoft kind.
DJOGamer

Post by DJOGamer »

aweigh wrote: May 15th, 2023, 03:40
all the building shit is incredibly tedious.
That's because you lack... imagination
► Show Spoiler
:smug:

KnightoftheWind wrote: May 15th, 2023, 04:24
I for one would like to see these devs go back to basics and give us a true successor to Wind Waker
God no
Anything but that or Skyward Sword

maidenhaver wrote: May 15th, 2023, 08:18
Its a shame that zelda, renowned for it's levels, became an open world.
??
It always was

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 15th, 2023, 08:39
I agree that Zelda is about dungeons & puzzles though.
That was what the activity the games focused more with ALttP
But the series was fundamentally about exploration first and foremost

KnightoftheWind wrote: May 15th, 2023, 14:41
I can remember many things from Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, but can I remember anything about Breath of the Wild?
The only thing I remember from WW is that it was dogshit boring
Meanwhile I still remember most regions, grand locations and dungeons of BotW
Regardless of whatever flaws it may have it had a very well designed overworld and an actual feeling of adventure (something the series lost after the Oracle games)
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

You cocksuckers. You're applying open world retroactively. Nobody ever called zelda an open world. Indeed, zelda is not an open world, because as I correctly stated; zelda is renowned for its levels.
KnightoftheWind

Skyward Sword was trash, but Wind Waker being bad?. That's how I know you have shit taste, my friend. The only thing I didn't like about it was the cut dungeons and more areas of Hyrule being cut as well.
MadPreacher

Post by MadPreacher »

KnightoftheWind wrote: May 15th, 2023, 21:35
You're just being pedantic, we know there have been many "open world" games before. But most of them aren't the Bethesda/Ubisoft kind.
It's called being correct and that language has meaning. Open world games go back to the 1970s.
maidenhaver wrote: May 15th, 2023, 21:41
You cocksuckers. You're applying open world retroactively. Nobody ever called zelda an open world. Indeed, zelda is not an open world, because as I correctly stated; zelda is renowned for its levels.
No retard I'm applying the historical standard of open world. Just because your ignorant mind never conceived of Zelda being open world does not mean you are right. I've already disproven you to be some ignorant twat that's spouting contrarian shit because you can't accept being wrong. When your balls drop and you decide to be a man by accepting you are wrong let me know. Otherwise, here's the perfect game for the pathetic girlish twat that you are.

rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

The first game referred to as "open world" as part of its genre was The Godfather fyi.
Yes, that's right, it wasn't used until 2006. Go ahead, try to deboooonk me. I've looked into this before.

https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna8585048
The highly anticipated title was to be on sale in time for the Christmas holiday. But a spokesman for the No. 1 video game maker said the "Open World" interactive element that allows characters to move freely through the game was not "quite ready."
Open world was such a novel concept at the time that it was used with quotation marks.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Anyway, its a shame 3d level design is dead, and everything needs to be an open world.
KnightoftheWind

Enough of this talk, my fellow goyim. The bottom line is that Breath of the Wild (and Skyward Sword*) was bad and started the downfall of the series. Tears of the Kingdom is an improvement in some parts, but I'd hate to see what the next game ends up looking like. I haven't beaten this one fully yet, so if it ends with
► Show Spoiler
then I'll be hanging up my tunic permanently.
Last edited by KnightoftheWind on May 15th, 2023, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.
MadPreacher

Post by MadPreacher »

maidenhaver wrote: May 15th, 2023, 21:59
Anyway, its a shame 3d level design is dead, and everything needs to be an open world.
Again there are plenty of 2D open world games as well. 3D is only 20 years old which is a small part of all gaming history going back to the 1960s. What's truly dead are the 2d games.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

You need to stick to yelling at clouds.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

maidenhaver wrote: May 15th, 2023, 22:06
:yells at clouds:

I implement all these smilies and for what purpose?
MadPreacher

Post by MadPreacher »

You need to stick to playing with your Barbies and letting the adults talk.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

MadPreacher wrote: May 15th, 2023, 21:53
KnightoftheWind wrote: May 15th, 2023, 21:35
It's called being correct and that language has meaning. Open world games go back to the 1970s.
No retard I'm applying the historical standard of open world. Just because your ignorant mind never conceived of Zelda being open world does not mean you are right. I've already disproven you to be some ignorant twat that's spouting contrarian shit because you can't accept being wrong. When your balls drop and you decide to be a man by accepting you are wrong let me know. Otherwise, here's the perfect game for the pathetic girlish twat that you are.

I just wanna point out my sister had that game on our PC as a kid.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 15th, 2023, 22:07
:yells at clouds:

I implement all these smilies and for what purpose?
:trash:
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

General Reign wrote: May 15th, 2023, 22:11
I just wanna point out my sister had that game on our PC as a kid.
There's no shame in playing good games.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

I actually liked some parts of Skyward Sword. The controls were fun and the low item limit with the Adventure Pouch + items being used in realtime were massive incline compared to the BotW 1 and 2's Skyrim pause menu instant healing. I read that BotW was originally planned to have real time menu accessing + item use as well back when it was planned only for the WiiU because it was expected you would use the pad for that, but they scrapped the idea when they decided to develop it for both the WiiU and the Switch.
KnightoftheWind

WhiteShark wrote: May 15th, 2023, 22:25
I actually liked some parts of Skyward Sword. The controls were fun and the low item limit with the Adventure Pouch + items being used in realtime were massive incline compared to the BotW 1 and 2's Skyrim pause menu instant healing. I read that BotW was originally planned to have real time menu accessing + item use as well back when it was planned only for the WiiU because it was expected you would use the pad for that, but they scrapped the idea when they decided to develop it for both the WiiU and the Switch.
'Some' parts, yes. Most of the time I was pulling my hair out with the irritating characters, the dull Skyloft sections, and the repeated worlds (padding) during the second-half. I was at my breaking point when the Water Dragon flooded the forest and asked me to collect "tadtones" for her. I wish I could have used the motion controls to pull down Link's pants and give her a good mooning. On top of all of that, most of the challenges during the game are referred to as "trials" for Link. Trials, trials, trials. As if you as the player, and Link as a character, hadn't proven himself for the entire adventure and 'still' isn't good enough. Oh, and that one retard boss that keeps repeating over and over again. The entire game was a travesty, and a massive downgrade from Twilight Princess in every conceivable way. Why they let the same shitty director butcher two more games after it I'll never understand, maybe it's the Japanese way?.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

KnightoftheWind wrote: May 15th, 2023, 22:34
'Some' parts, yes. Most of the time I was pulling my hair out with the irritating characters, the dull Skyloft sections, and the repeated worlds (padding) during the second-half. I was at my breaking point when the Water Dragon flooded the forest and asked me to collect "tadtones" for her. I wish I could have used the motion controls to pull down Link's pants and give her a good mooning. On top of all of that, most of the challenges during the game are referred to as "trials" for Link. Trials, trials, trials. As if you as the player, and Link as a character, hadn't proven himself for the entire adventure and 'still' isn't good enough. Oh, and that one retard boss that keeps repeating over and over again. The entire game was a travesty, and a massive downgrade from Twilight Princess in every conceivable way.
All of that is probably very accurate criticism but I only played certain sections of the game because I took turns playing with my brother in law and he played more of it than I did in total, so the padding etc. didn't become a problem for me. :D
KnightoftheWind wrote: May 15th, 2023, 22:34
Why they let the same shitty director butcher two more games after it I'll never understand, maybe it's the Japanese way?.
Seniority would be my guess.
DJOGamer

Post by DJOGamer »

Nobody ever called zelda an open world.
I remember back before 2010 people online calling it open-world
Still in the end what matters is game design and first games are very much non-linear open worlds

KnightoftheWind wrote: May 15th, 2023, 21:44
Wind Waker being bad?. That's how I know you have shit taste, my friend.
"Wow, what amazing world and sense of exploration! So much water, such grand diversity of interesting locations that I can count with just the fingers of one hand! Look, I can set up a course, go take a dump, eat a sandwitch and even after all of that, I still won't have reached my destination! How about a massive fetch quest to random spots in the map to end your campaign, that sure won't suck!"

"Wow such riveting fucking dungeons, that even a 12 year old can complete them all in "auto-pilot", not so much as having to pause even for a moment to figure out what to do next, becuase they are just that engaging! Truly the most interesting batch of dungeons in the series, that will surely grip our players instead of making them turn down the console to go play Master Quest instead..."
KnightoftheWind wrote: May 15th, 2023, 22:01
The bottom line is that Breath of the Wild was bad and started the downfall of the series.
That honor goes to Wind Waker
BotW actually made the series interesting again and don't deny it
Had that game been designed by the ALttP formula again, it wouldn't have achieved the same success, it would've been a mediocre entry at best and all you niggers bemoaning how the series was stale and boring and it needed to be buried for good
KnightoftheWind

DJOGamer wrote: May 15th, 2023, 23:15
Nobody ever called zelda an open world.
I remember back before 2010 people online calling it open-world
Still in the end what matters is game design and first games are very much non-linear open worlds

KnightoftheWind wrote: May 15th, 2023, 21:44
Wind Waker being bad?. That's how I know you have shit taste, my friend.
"Wow, what amazing world and sense of exploration! So much water, such grand diversity of interesting locations that I can count with just the fingers of one hand! Look, I can set up a course, go take a dump, eat a sandwitch and even after all of that, I still won't have reached my destination! How about a massive fetch quest to random spots in the map to end your campaign, that sure won't suck!"

"Wow such riveting fucking dungeons, that even a 12 year old can complete them all in "auto-pilot", not so much as having to pause even for a moment to figure out what to do next, becuase they are just that engaging! Truly the most interesting batch of dungeons in the series, that will surely grip our players instead of making them turn down the console to go play Master Quest instead..."
KnightoftheWind wrote: May 15th, 2023, 22:01
The bottom line is that Breath of the Wild was bad and started the downfall of the series.
That honor goes to Wind Waker
BotW actually made the series interesting again and don't deny it
Had that game been designed by the ALttP formula again, it wouldn't have achieved the same success, it would've been a mediocre entry at best and all you niggers bemoaning how the series was stale and boring and it needed to be buried for good
'Another' zoomer with shit taste?, this is a major shock to me. If you prefer Breath of the Wild over Wind Waker then you shouldn't even be playing video games.
SDG

Post by SDG »

Wow, you guys really spent 2 pages arguing about what constitutes as a open world game. Next you'll be arguing about whether or not men can have periods and babies.
KnightoftheWind

► Show Spoiler