We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

The Legend of Zelda - Tears of the Kingdom

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
DJOGamer

Post by DJOGamer »

So played it for a "bit" (40/50 minutes)

Yuzu can't load it
Ryujinx works but it seems capped at 20/25fps, plus it doesn't seem to load shader files all that well
So I would say both emulators need some updates before this game can be run properly

Because this is a direct sequel to BotW, they have to deal with that plot baggage and as such you no longer take less than 1 minute before being "freed" into the gameworld
Half of the cutscenes can't be skipped too, so takes about 10 minutes before the player is truly let loose
The floating island they've showed in gameplay presentation is this game's equivalent of BotW "Great Plateau"
► Show Spoiler
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

DJOGamer wrote: May 1st, 2023, 19:15
Ryujinx works but it seems capped at 20/25fps, plus it doesn't seem to load shader files all that well
According to /v/:
>FOR RYUJINX USERS TURN OFF VSYNC AND CAP THE GAME AT 30FPS IN NVIDIA SETTINGS IT FIXES SPEEDUP AND LOCKED AT 20FPS
Ventidius

Post by Ventidius »

Have the leaks revealed anything about the dungeon design thus far?
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

I'm surprised this game doesn't run as well as Breath of the Wild on an emulator, given that it's the same engine with a lot of the same assets. If only Nintendo would port their games to PC and other consoles.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

KnightoftheWind wrote: May 1st, 2023, 21:57
I'm surprised this game doesn't run as well as Breath of the Wild on an emulator, given that it's the same engine with a lot of the same assets. If only Nintendo would port their games to PC and other consoles.
Probably has game-specific hacks that aren't enabled (yet) which fix issues that exist in BotW.
DJOGamer

Post by DJOGamer »

Ventidius wrote: May 1st, 2023, 21:34
Have the leaks revealed anything about the dungeon design thus far?
I been trying to avoid spoilers, but supposedly there's 5 or 7 big dungeons
I'm surprised this game doesn't run as well as Breath of the Wild on an emulator, given that it's the same engine with a lot of the same assets.
CemU was the best emulator for BotW
Yuzu and Ryujinx just need to be updated
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 1st, 2023, 21:58
Probably has game-specific hacks that aren't enabled (yet) which fix issues that exist in BotW.
This. Also last I checked, the WiiU version was the one that had good emulation, not the Switch version.
KnightoftheWind

Recent updates to Ryujinx made it a lot more playable, but It still lags a ton and the audio desyncs. Anyone else having better luck?.
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

KnightoftheWind wrote: May 3rd, 2023, 17:08
Recent updates to Ryujinx made it a lot more playable, but It still lags a ton and the audio desyncs. Anyone else having better luck?.
I found there to be less shader related hitches when running vulkan. But the problem with vulkan is you have to run it at native resolution, because you take a huge hit if you increase the resolution beyond native. It's a worthwhile trade off for smoother gameplay IMO. Vulkan might be a little bit more unstable as well, but this game has crashed for me on both Vulkan and OGL.
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

I have the same issues with this game that I did with the last one. I found the combat/exploration/story to not be very enticing.

The ones who liked BOTW will like this game as well. However, the ones like me who did not like BOTW are not going to like this one either.
KnightoftheWind

I think if you're already burned out on open world games, this title will do little to reinvigorate the genre for you.
KnightoftheWind

I don't see an issue with the graphics whatsoever, what bugs me is the performance. If they had ported this game to PC natively, I could run it at 144hz 1440p no problem. Instead they are leaving money on the table by ignoring other platforms and fostering a community of pirates that could have otherwise paid for a legal copy.
KnightoftheWind

I wouldn't be surprised if they made Link a sodomite in the next title. He's already a very effeminate character, and even crossdressed in Breath of the Wild. If Nintendo starts eyeing that ESG money, they'll definitely go for it.

From what I've played so far I am liking Tears of the Kingdom more as a game, it's fun combining stuff and playing around with the objects you find. I'm still on the tutorial island because it lags to shit, but I'm hoping to play more.
KnightoftheWind

Well I've managed to get further into the game, and I gotta say- I'm hooked. As a former fan of the series who hated Skyward Sword with a fiery passion and thought Breath of the Wild was underwhelming, this game has singlehandedly brought me back into the fold. Everything so far has clicked, the story is more interesting, there are more characters and things to see and do. Jury's still out on dungeons, but the game is already a massive upgrade over the last one. It makes BOTW look like an early beta release it's that big.

The new mechanics add a lot to the gameplay, and they're ingenious. The combat feels more frenetic and worthwhile, you're combining stuff you're playing with combinations you're combining things you didn't even THINK to combine. When you see an enemy now you start clapping. You're thinking "YES it's another enemy to absolutely demolish with my new weapon". When you see one enemy you wish there were 5, if you see 5 you wish there were 10. It makes the six year wait almost worth it it's that good!. And I'm only at the beginning stages.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

I had no idea anybody played Zelda for story.
KnightoftheWind

maidenhaver wrote: May 8th, 2023, 05:17
I had no idea anybody played Zelda for story.
Zelda games since A Link to the Past had a storyline. In fact the biggest complaint before Breath of the Wild was that some games had too much story, and it bogged down the gameplay, especially at the start.
KnightoftheWind

► Show Spoiler
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

The game was updated to 1.1.0. Ziperto has the update.

There's a 30fps mod for Ryujinx that fixes the frame rate being locked to 20fps (For 1.1.0 version): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QrmLDB ... Yywnm/view

There's a Ryujinx (dirty) version that fixes the periodic crashes. You have to run it in Vulkan, because it still crashes in OGL. https://pixeldrain.com/u/z4shqkZF

Leave the resolution scale setting at native on Vulkan, otherwise you take a huge fps hit. There's other settings you can toy with to make the game look better like FSR and FXAA that don't have a huge performance impact.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

$70 sounds like a lot for tears from the king dom.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

Does this mean Nintendo won't be making a new console for at least two years?
KnightoftheWind

There are rumblings of the next console being announced late this year, it honestly depends on if they announce any more big games prior to the Fall season. If Nintendo is strangely silent after Tears of the Kingdom's official release, then we know they have something big in store.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

You don't need to do that to figure it out. They just released their main Zelda game. The new console is around the corner.
KnightoftheWind

Perhaps, but there is still a rumoured Donkey Kong game, a Paper Mario and F-Zero GX remaster, and a new 2D Mario. Any combination of those could turn out to be true, or none of them. That's why we must wait and see. I'd like to think this is the final year that Nintendo dedicates to the Switch, before it's successor releases mid-late 2024.

TOTK Spoiler Update:
► Show Spoiler
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

Dead wrote: May 11th, 2023, 01:55
This way they can sell you the same software again with a frame rate increase from 20 to 45 fps.
KnightoftheWind

J1M wrote: May 11th, 2023, 14:58
Dead wrote: May 11th, 2023, 01:55
This way they can sell you the same software again with a frame rate increase from 20 to 45 fps.
This game runs like a dog, that much is true. Which is why I won't be giving it a perfect score, or even a 9/10. The ambitions of the game are ultimately held back by 2015 smartphone hardware, and it makes me wonder what could have been if Nintendo executives weren't hamstringing their creative talent. A game like Genshin Impact (haven't played it) has a very similar graphical style yet looks better and runs at over 200 FPS on a decent PC. God willing their next console isn't as successful, and they will be encouraged to make better decisions.

Another issue with the game is that although combining objects with weapons is novel, the durability problem still persists from Breath of the Wild. Your weapons and gear break far too quickly, and it becomes tiring after a while. You also have to tap the A button to pick up every object, which is another issue that persists. In older titles Link would pick up items automatically, but not in these recent games. It makes sense for weapons, but for materials and even rupees?. I don't get it.