We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (coming out on the 31st of March, 2023)

Movies? TV shows? Books? Comics? Music? It goes here.
The_Mask

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (coming out on the 31st of March, 2023)

Post by The_Mask »

Let's hope this one's going to be a hit after that OGL debacle, because... here... we... go...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/busin ... 235327570/
Toy giant Hasbro has swung to a fourth quarter loss on lower overall revenues for the holiday season and missed on Wall Street’s revenue and earnings expectations in a tough consumer environment.

On Thursday, Hasbro posted a loss of $129 million, against a year-earlier profit of $82.2 million, on revenues down 17 percent to $1.67 billion, which missed on a sales estimate of $1.72 billion, according to FactSet. The adjusted earnings per-share came to $1.31, which missed on an estimate of $1.33 a share.

Rival Mattel also saw its sales and earnings fall in its most recent fourth quarter financials, which missed on Wall Street’s own expectations. During a morning analyst call, Hasbro gave an update on its sales process for non-core film and TV assets at Entertainment One as it looks to shrink its film and TV production footprint and focus on turning its own toylines into Hollywood franchises.

“Our sales process for the majority of eOne film and TV is well underway, with strong interest in these valuable assets. We expect to have an update in the second quarter,” Hasbro CEO Chris Cocks told analysts. On Jan. 26, the company said it would lay off 1,000 staffers, 15 percent of its workforce.

During the fourth quarter, film and TV revenue fell 10 percent to $310.6 million, reflecting lower film revenues from fewer new releases in 2022, against the year-earlier performance, and the timing of deliveries.

The unwinding of the company’s 2019 acquisition of eOne amid a strategic review of the overall toy making business includes the earlier sale of eOne Music and the exit from Secret Location, a virtual reality studio. Should a wider sale of select eOne assets come to pass, Hasbro will keep its family content business and like rival Mattel is expected to rely on production deals with studios and streamers.

And Hasbro will aim to develop and produce animation, digital shorts, scripted TV and theatrical films for fans of core Hasbro IP. The toy maker has in its release pipeline six movies — including Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves hitting theaters in March — and a slate of TV series.

“We have a stacked lineup,” Cocks told analysts.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

I remember watching some D&D movie when I was younger. It started with a guy who was a thief.. or something... flying dragons? Had to steal a gem?
Yeah, I don't remember.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 18th, 2023, 02:55
I remember watching some D&D movie when I was younger. It started with a guy who was a thief.. or something... flying dragons? Had to steal a gem?
Yeah, I don't remember.
Watched this. It was ok. You're thinking of Dungeons & Dragons from 2000. iirc it had an extremely low budget sequel no one heard of or watched that was really shit. The only thing I remember about it is the noob mage teleports the party into a tower or something and loses her arm by teleporting her arm into the wall. I think it might have been Wrath of the Dragon God from 2005.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

Going by the trailer, it's an aggressively dumb quipfest, so I hope it bombs.
Griffin

Post by Griffin »

It looks like absolute trash, Hugh Grant could be a great villain in well made D&D movie if h played a wizard, cleric or something, he's a very good actor at his best.
Gregz
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gregz »

These films are generally pretty bad, but I do recommend watching this one:

GothGirlSupremacy

Post by GothGirlSupremacy »

That trailer was so gay it makes me wish I could go back in time and punch my younger self in the nose.
Fedora Master
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Fedora Master »

How hard is it to take someone's actual campaign that was good and funny and use that as a basis for a script? Or at least hire one of the writers that work on DnD books?
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Fedora Master wrote: February 19th, 2023, 15:18
How hard is it to take someone's actual campaign that was good and funny and use that as a basis for a script?
This is pretty much how Adventure Time was written and it was a great cartoon until the creator quit being the main writer.
NEG
Turtle
Turtle

Post by NEG »

The Adventurers: Ocean's Elven. Also, is that shapeshifting Tiefling a tranny?
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

It's a pretty good representation of what contemporary DnD is. Obviously you are not their target audience, it's the critical role crowd.
Last edited by wndrbr on February 21st, 2023, 23:36, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

strong womyn fighter, courageous black paladin, black elf, strong womyn druid, incompetent weak white guy

yep, it's a modern fantasy product
viata

Post by viata »

Sometimes you gotta wonder if the movie industry is competing against the video game industry on releasing the most shitty product of the year.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

https://readcomiconline.li/Comic/Dungeo ... ns-Sampler

They have released a comic book "sampler" of the movie. It's cringe. The white guy with the mandolin is not just incompetent, he apparently has a black daughter.
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

I've heard good things about it, it's a product of 2023 so what do you expect.

It gets two things right; one the plot isn't some epic "save the world" bullshit, but a small scale adventure revolving around the bad guy, Hugh Grant. That's the other good thing. I think casting Hugh Grant as a self-serving and smug asshole is very good.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

April Fool's joke from Kojimbo
I saw "Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves" in IMAX because Sophia Lillis is in it. In fact this one surprised me! So-fxxking-funny! Great movie! I had had enough of the "sword and sorcery" stuff, but the visuals, the gimmicks, the look, it was all new!
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

Finally, a fantasy film for cuckolds, with the population of San Francisco!. I've been waiting so long for this day...

Too long has the fantasy genre been a haven of white supremacy. Thank you Hideo Kojima for shedding light on this matter. Can we give this movie a fxxking 11/10, or what?.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

My impressions.

The good: I got chills at the start when they show a fair chunk of the map: Icewind Dale, The Spine of the World, Neverwinter, Waterdeep, Luskan, and a bit of Baldur's Gate and Amn. Call it fan service or bait, but I liked it. This was 5s. And that's about as much as this movie was good.

The "meh": most actions scenes, and a fair bit of the exposition can be excused as "cool things that a DM might do". For example, and this is in the trailer, the party is chased by a dragon. The way the dragon chases them around, sounds a lot like what a DM might conjure up in some of his sessions. Most scenes are constructed like this, which is something most of us can agree it works towards the movies' favour.

The bad: The characters are full on woke-fest. Every single character other than the Doric the Druid (Sofia Lillis), is a complete woke trash-fest. Straight up ruins the movie.
As a consequence: Sofia Lillis completely steals the movie. Not a fantastic feat to perform when everyone else is shit, but... let's give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar.

The ugly: The complete disregard for D&D rules. The Druid can shapeshift into monstrosities (Owlbears). Attuning as a process is perverted to make a nigger look good, after which he promptly stops using the item he spent so much time attuning. (LOL)

And that's all folks. If you happen to somehow get this movie for free, maybe see it, so you know what all the dorks reference to, but if you choose not to, you don't lose much. Whatever you do, don't pay for this shit. I only saw it because I got a free ticket.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Do people find that girl attractive? She looks way to dykeish to me.

I saw an article that said the writers followed rules pretty closely (the Owlbear thing being a big exception) and that you can identify which spells are being cast and some other things if you watch carefully. You can't trust anything written by the "journalists" covering these things anymore, so who knows.

It's really weird to me that a D&D movie is moderately popular. I want to go back to the good old days when nerds were stuffed into lockers and people would leave our hobbies alone.
KnightoftheWind

Acrux wrote: April 4th, 2023, 03:37

I saw an article that said the writers followed rules pretty closely (the Owlbear thing being a big exception) and that you can identify which spells are being cast and some other things if you watch carefully. You can't trust anything written by the "journalists" covering these things anymore, so who knows.

It's really weird to me that a D&D movie is moderately popular. I want to go back to the good old days when nerds were stuffed into lockers and people would leave our hobbies alone.
It's basically what happened to anime. In the 90s and 2000s it was some niche fringe that only complete losers or young kids found interesting, and even then it was mostly through english dubs. Now we are exposed to hundreds of new anime shows, we have people ranting and raving about watching them subbed-only, and people talking about them all the time. Zoomers even adopted the style and morphed it into some ungodly mess of faggotry.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

there must be a crossover with the people who think emma watson is attractive
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Emphyrio wrote: April 4th, 2023, 22:57
there must be a crossover with the people who think emma watson is attractive
Both are hot, but I wouldn't put either in my top 100
KnightoftheWind

The movie with the blue-lipped dude is probably superior to this, I'm not even going to bother seeing it. If anyone has and wants to share a more in-depth breakdown of the cringe, let me know.
madbringer
Turtle
Turtle

Post by madbringer »

You guys remember that movie about 2 Catholic school girls who started playing d&d and one of them killed themselves and the other became a demon or smt?

Yeah that was prolly better.