We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Wartales — RELEASED

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Eyestabber
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Eyestabber »

Eyestabber wrote: September 23rd, 2023, 20:22
Certain fights are straight up unwinnable, and then the "final" fight is a cake walk.
After playing and reading a bit on Steam, I realized the problem lies in the half-baked reinforcement system. All unwinnable fights feature bullshit "reinforcements" that can easily spawn 3-4 ninja assassins right on top of your party AND take a full turn before you do. I learned this new "feature" was implemented in April, so it's an early access issue introduced in a "released" game. Only in ghosts fights do reinforcements work a non-retarded fashion, everywhere else it's just an opportunity to brick your save due to retardation. If RNG dictates a bunch of tanks will spawn away from your party, that's usually just annoying, but doable. If you get "lucky" and the game spawns a bunch of DPS enemies, your only hope is to reload the fight and pray for less idiotic RNG.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

from what Eyestabber says this game is super grindy, but in the bad way.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

There are women party members, so I could have told you that it sucks.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

You want female party members for morale boost.
Eyestabber
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Eyestabber »

Dead wrote: September 25th, 2023, 15:56
You want female party members for morale boost.

You were saying...?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

"who cares what two consenting adults do in their bedrooms?"

*two decades later*
*mandatory homosexual romances in tactical RPGs*
Eyestabber
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Eyestabber »

rusty_shackleford wrote: September 27th, 2023, 00:34
"who cares what two consenting adults do in their bedrooms?"

*two decades later*
*mandatory homosexual romances in tactical RPGs*
Well, for the record, I did choose to "Stay friends". However, I'm now seriously worried about what happens in the tent every time I click "rest".
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Send them to the front to die.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Released a DLC, doesn't seem to be too well received tho. Haven't played it so I can't comment.

Base game is fun, however.
Eyestabber
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Eyestabber »

When have boats ever been fun? Bleh.
UnfairTradeCoffee

Post by UnfairTradeCoffee »

Seeing no obvious niggas made me overestimate this game. Then I saw the women everywhere. And then I read about the gay romances. And then I played it.

It was somewhat based that the refugees are shown to be pricks, but thank goodness I didn't have to pay for this game.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Main issue with the story in this game is how little information you're given about anything. Which sort of fits actually, I guess, now that I think about it?
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

UnfairTradeCoffee wrote: December 21st, 2023, 02:42
Seeing no obvious niggas made me overestimate this game. Then I saw the women everywhere. And then I read about the gay romances. And then I played it.

It was somewhat based that the refugees are shown to be pricks, but thank goodness I didn't have to pay for this game.
There are browns, they're just in their own region.
Like BG3, refugee stuff is the contemporary issue they've decided to focus on from the beginning.
Last edited by ArcaneLurker on February 17th, 2024, 13:58, edited 1 time in total.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

When did refugee become the word for coward?
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

maidenhaver wrote: February 17th, 2024, 14:09
When did refugee become the word for coward?
I'm just repeating the words used, I don't know the story beyond the quest where you can choose to kill the enforcers of law or the refugee bandit, and they pretty much say "we were forced into crime because you guys are big meanies that won't look after us :("
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

iirc the refugees were pretty much in the wrong, there's a few individual exceptions but it's clear they're fucking things up with little regard for local customs or culture
Lhynn
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Lhynn »

They are in the wrong, but they are already there. So telling them "you should go back" is not exactly the good choice. A capable and good aligned adventurer will help them, while understanding everything that happens to them is their own damn fault.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Lhynn wrote: February 17th, 2024, 18:27
They are in the wrong, but they are already there. So telling them "you should go back" is not exactly the good choice. A capable and good aligned adventurer will help them, while understanding everything that happens to them is their own damn fault.
You aren't a "good aligned adventurer", you're the leader of a band of mercenaries. The safety of your mercs comes first, then their pay.

At first I disliked how you seemed to be thrown into conflicts with little explanation, then I thought on it more and flipped my position. You aren't an adventurer, you aren't a hero, you're leading a band of mercenaries.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on February 17th, 2024, 18:39, edited 1 time in total.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

If Wartales was based on historical fidelity, the mercs would leave you during or between battles for booty from the campaign. In winters they'd cut loose and rape and loot the peasants. There'd be no band of brothers bullshit, mercs are transient freebooters out to score food and money, because a country embroiled in war is going to experience famine. Allies and villagers would stalk, harass, and kill you in your sleep to protect their food and families, even if the emperor invited you in. Kings would never pay but buy off captains with luxuries and send them on suicide missions. The good employers would get assassinated, anyway. The 30 Years War all merc games are based on was a vortex of suffering and nobody does it justice.

This is a good scenario for rng.
Last edited by maidenhaver on February 17th, 2024, 18:56, edited 2 times in total.