We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Wartales — RELEASED

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 17th, 2023, 23:34
Fargus wrote: April 17th, 2023, 23:27
You still need to hunt a lot if you want to buy blueprints from trackers. They only accept animal fangs.
I just steal them and use the animal fangs to buy ghost hide.
I agree they need a higher difficulty level added.

Got to Ludern last night, really liked the haunted villages.

Strangely despite being constantly compared to it, I actually don't find it much like Battle Brothers at all. Battle Brothers felt much more aimless, like a sandbox game.

You can get a ton of fangs from plague rat hives btw.

Good idea, i haven't thought about it. Just generally dont steal and prefer to avoid high wanted level and guard dodging tedium. But i used to play as criminals in early access.

I think people compare it to BB because both are turn-based, roaming mercenary band sims. But obviously they have a lot of differences.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Fargus wrote: April 17th, 2023, 23:49
rusty_shackleford wrote: April 17th, 2023, 23:34
Fargus wrote: April 17th, 2023, 23:27
You still need to hunt a lot if you want to buy blueprints from trackers. They only accept animal fangs.
I just steal them and use the animal fangs to buy ghost hide.
I agree they need a higher difficulty level added.

Got to Ludern last night, really liked the haunted villages.

Strangely despite being constantly compared to it, I actually don't find it much like Battle Brothers at all. Battle Brothers felt much more aimless, like a sandbox game.

You can get a ton of fangs from plague rat hives btw.

Good idea, i haven't thought about it. Just generally dont steal and prefer to avoid high wanted level and guard dodging tedium. But i used to play as criminals in early access.

I think people compare it to BB because both are turn-based, roaming mercenary band sims. But obviously they have a lot of differences.
Stealing consumable items is a bit unbalanced because they only fine you for theft but not for the items taken and consumed. So you end up paying a flat 20 coin fee for anything consumable.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

I like the sim elements that games like BB which focus entirely on combat end up missing. Would prefer even more in-depth camp management TBH.
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

I like the classes in this game. Rogues if used correctly can do a lot of damage. I used to think poisoner was shit till i properly made use of poison bomb ability, two stacks of this and you can just watch the enemies slowly die and finish them off with a dagger from Vertruse arena that increases damage based on poison stacks. If this game had more fights where choke points are used then you could abuse poison bombs and fire even more. Cutthroat with instinctive throw that makes him do aditional damage after actions like free attacks with torch or standart dagger throw is hilarious. Archer with fire bow + the attack that not only pushes enemy back but also slows them down can dispatch groups, add aim to that to increase bow range. Two handed sword guy that can take out 2-3 enemies in the first turn. I only dislike 1h axe + heavy armor it feels worthless compared to other classes that use heavy armors like the one with 1h sword spamming riposte.

Btw i've seen a thread where retards complain that the minigames are too difficult lol. Lots of posters asking to add niggers because God forbid if there is a game with only white people in it. Steam is a shitshow like always.
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

Any tip on how to get brotherhood mission or the bandit one? They used to become available automatically before 1.0 and paths redesign.
BlueMemphis
Turtle
Turtle

Post by BlueMemphis »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 17th, 2023, 23:57
I like the sim elements that games like BB which focus entirely on combat end up missing.
As far as I'm concerned this might be the best reason yet to get the game.

For those who have made it that far, what's the endgame like in WarTales? Because that's another concern I have, in BB you got the world events (noble wars/greenskin invasions, etc) and can go explore legendary locations and fight megabosses all whilst picking up rng generated super gear on the way.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Yeah, I have the same question. I've heard that the (ugh) "gameplay loop" is pretty much the same after the first couple of hours through the end game.
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

I'm exploring my 4th region right now but i don't think there is any end game. No retirement mechanics that i know of. You progress, earn money through contracts, solve the regional political quests, side quests or small disputes, hunt, complete generic contracts, research, cook, craft camp improvements, remedies and gear.

Gameplay is samey. There are different combat scenarios of course, different mechanics like exploring cursed villages in Ludern and trying to escape after making too much noise, tomb exploration where you have to fight off creatures and keep your mercs in the light, diffirent arenas or unstable cavern fights with falling boulders etc. But the core is pretty much the same like you would expect from a game like BB or mount and blade. But nowhere near as punishing as BB.

I just want to be honest. If you want tough and interesting combat or if you're a tryhard... you will more than likely get disappointed. When you understand how combat works it becomes trivial. I'm not taking ironman into account because i dont care about such autism. This is a nice and addictive game if you have the right mindset for it, but it needs lots and lots of improvement.
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

Also i want to add and this is just my impression that half of the stuff you can craft is not even needed. After spending some time in the game i pretty much feed my mercs same 3-4 types of dish so they travel faster and for longer periods of time. I know the recipes for multiple weapon poisons but i just buy them intead of brewing, because why bother with clearing rat infestations for growths? I only done it like once. Tons of different trinkets that are useless af. Unique weapons that are useless af like Lund's 2h mace.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

The combat does get a bit repetitive, but not too much so far(~50 hours.)

Again, it's not like battle brothers beyond superficially so don't go in expecting the same kind of game. Each region has its own scenario for you to complete with tasks/side-tasks.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

If I have a complaint, it's that I level too damn slow. You get punished for using a large party I guess? But I'm way underleveled now for everything using fixed-level areas… I think. Took me like ~20 hours of playing to go from level 6 to level 7(2 level 8s using the training dummy)
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Fargus wrote: April 20th, 2023, 02:17
Also i want to add and this is just my impression that half of the stuff you can craft is not even needed. After spending some time in the game i pretty much feed my mercs same 3-4 types of dish so they travel faster and for longer periods of time. I know the recipes for multiple weapon poisons but i just buy them intead of brewing, because why bother with clearing rat infestations for growths? I only done it like once. Tons of different trinkets that are useless af. Unique weapons that are useless af like Lund's 2h mace.
I craft every food dish I can because I don't get enough resources to stack just one kind. I'm playing on the hardest difficulty for both settings.
Some unique weapons are crap, some are really good.
I craft a lot of oils, the rat dens are pretty easy if you have two or three guys with a two-hander. Rangers with torches can take out the hives with ease. Avoid doing them at night, the rats are much stronger at night-time and more spawn.

I agree with the trinkets part, I think they should have had 2-3 slots with a no-stacking rule to make it more interesting.
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 20th, 2023, 05:06
If I have a complaint, it's that I level too damn slow. You get punished for using a large party I guess? But I'm way underleveled now for everything using fixed-level areas… I think. Took me like ~20 hours of playing to go from level 6 to level 7(2 level 8s using the training dummy)
Yeah, i had to glue one of my guys to a training dummy for multiple rests to hit level 8. For him to finally be able to use rimesteel weapons and armor. Ad he was already with the most xp. Somehow the leveling is so exremely slow now.

Thankfully you can upgrade the dummy to be used by two people and give more exp.

You can increase xp flow for one rest by 30% if you craft banner for the camp. It allows buying some temporary bonuses for influence. But first use it was 100 influence and the second already 200. So i used it only once.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

There's not enough classes. I want to expand my army, but I have to keep adding the same classes.
IMO it was a mistake to not have some kind of 'mystic' element, not necessarily magic e.g., see that expeditions vikings game. Also, you don't even need to add magic for an alchemist class or similar.

Still a fun game, solid 8/10 and one of the better releases in recent memory up there with the King Arthur game last year.

Something that doesn't get any praise is the engagement system, it adds a nice layer of tactical depth. It does, to some degree, represent an abstraction of an actual melee between two people with the grappling and close quarters combat.
Basically, your sneaky-shit dudes can't just walk up to a guy in armor and knife him without being forced to 'engage' him in melee, which is very dangerous. Therefore you have to setup opportunities with your frontliners and flank them with your sneaky-dude.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

@Fargus how many items do you get at a fully stocked trader for things like food? I'm curious since you said you aren't playing on the high difficulty survival mode and said you were crafting a lot of the same food. A fully stocked merchant area might get me 2-3 of the highest tier dishes.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Acrux wrote: February 19th, 2023, 04:24
Reading more about this today, it sounds like there's the worst kind of level scaling - enemies keep up with your level and will increase their party size as you increase yours. What I'm reading is that this second part happens even if you pick "region locked" which is supposed to be the non-scaling alternative.
BTW, region-locked has no scaling whatsoever. I have to keep expanding my party to keep up with the increasing enemy sizes so actively recruiting is something you have to do on region-locked.
If you play with scaling, I don't think there's a need to expand your party at all.
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 21st, 2023, 14:35
@Fargus how many items do you get at a fully stocked trader for things like food? I'm curious since you said you aren't playing on the high difficulty survival mode and said you were crafting a lot of the same food. A fully stocked merchant area might get me 2-3 of the highest tier dishes.
I dont buy high tier dishes, other than pancakes. I rarely saw such dishes sold more than 1 or 2.

I just get ingredients for them: 20-40 salt, 10 cheese, 10 venison, 10 cabbage, 10 perch, 10 apples, they dont sell much honey but you can produce some with beehive. I use it all to cook same 3-4 dishes that a affect travel speed and endurance. I buy stuff like alcohol for drunkard in my party and additional happines generation. And i have spare food like mushrooms, wolf sausages or grilled pork but only use it to travel between posts.
rusty_shackleford wrote: April 21st, 2023, 14:42
BTW, region-locked has no scaling whatsoever. I have to keep expanding my party to keep up with the increasing enemy sizes so actively recruiting is something you have to do on region-locked.
If you play with scaling, I don't think there's a need to expand your party at all.
Only reason is to have people with different professions like bard for willpower bonus at camp, cook, smith, thief, scholar etc.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Fargus wrote: April 21st, 2023, 15:28
I dont buy high tier dishes, other than pancakes. I rarely saw such dishes sold more than 1 or 2.
I meant ingredients, and you get the same as me. I think it just makes fatigue deplete faster, I have to camp a lot.
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 21st, 2023, 15:32
I meant ingredients, and you get the same as me. I think it just makes fatigue deplete faster, I have to camp a lot.
Then i suggest cooking some pancakes. Delicious ones will increase the travel fatigue by 45%. Also tracker's fondue for travel speed.

Btw you can learn some specializations like assassin for ranger class after you complete the regional arenas. So far i found 2 one taught by miller (ex gladiator) in Vertruse, the other by fisherman (also ex gladiator) at the shore of Ludern (northern part of Ludern).
Last edited by Fargus on April 22nd, 2023, 06:17, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Fargus wrote: April 21st, 2023, 15:34
rusty_shackleford wrote: April 21st, 2023, 15:32
Then i suggest cooking some pancakes. Delicious ones will increase the travel fatigue by 45%. Also trapper fondue for travel speed.

Btw you can learn some specializations like assassin for ranger class after you complete the regional arenas. So far i found 2 one taught by miller (ex gladiator) in Vertruse, the other by fisherman (also ex gladiator) at the shore of Ludern (northern part of Ludern).
The pancakes are used with two higher tier foods BTW.
Stavrophore

Post by Stavrophore »

Can someone give me an elaborate comparison either in text or video format of the differences in combat mechanics between this and BB? The game combat looks simplistic, considering the scope of the late game battles, this surely leads to boredom/repetitiveness?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Stavrophore wrote: April 21st, 2023, 17:08
Can someone give me an elaborate comparison either in text or video format of the differences in combat mechanics between this and BB? The game combat looks simplistic, considering the scope of the late game battles, this surely leads to boredom/repetitiveness?
it's fun

that's the entire reason to play it
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Grinmeer province detective/murder mystery is pretty good imo

I'd say Ludern is the weakest, but they learned as they went along.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

I wanted to like this game. The combat seems good. I don't like sandbox games though and there aren't enough classes to keep me interested. Maybe I'm just too picky.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

I like the game, but quite frankly I don't think it's finished. I'd say about 5-8% of strings are still even untranslated French text. None of the dialogue, but quite a few tooltips, help info, and such.

And the progress is completely out of whack for fixed-region. You level way too slow, I assume partly due to XP being divided evenly, that you're severely under-leveled by the time you get to the city province, and you'll get maybe 1 or 1.5 levels there not quite catching up, then move on to the next province with an even bigger level gap. Highest level person in my party was a premade character with a backstory I found in a prison at Ludern, I recruited at level 8 when my entire team was level 6. By the time I finished Ludern + Grimneer, she was level 9. Next province, enemies range from level 12-14.
I stopped at the jail in the next province, and there's two pre-made NPCs you can recruit… who are level 12(!) The massive majority of my party was now level 8. Everything I did for the past ~70 hours was worth less than just picking these two recruitable characters up from a jail cell. I was actually fine with the level gap because of the added difficulty, but felt like I was being slapped with the prison NPCs.

Fun, but maybe let it cook a while longer in the oven.
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

I figured that region locked mode was just another extension of tedium and the leveling would be slow so i just play on adaptive from now on. The last thing i want in a 60-100h turn based game is tedium that artficially extends it to 200h lol. This split into two separate modes in early access was a wrong idea and they should have just picked one to flesh it out. Speaking of unfinished shite, like i said before, path perks are not all finished which you can clearly see when you open path tab, and i think they also removed path quests because after 65+ hours they just don't trigger like before; animal interaction is unfinished and looks retarded when your animals get offended by some human merc venting out on the group; mercs becoming a couple (because romance shit duh) does fuck all, no bonuses even; helmets were pushed post release; many items are worthless in my opinion; I'm not sure how bad is coop, but i heard it's not good, well sucks i guess considering how many asked for absolutely unneccessary mode for a single player game that was totally "done by a separate team and not interfered with the development of singleplayer mode".

Despite that the game is full of stuff to do and much better than majority of low effort indie trash out there. And, yeah, its fun. But like i said before - needs work. Hopefully the devs will make it better after some post release rest.

I only finished three regions and explored Goosenberg a bit. But i just need a break from the game for now.
Eyestabber
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Eyestabber »

Gave this game another shot after confirming for myself that BG 3 is indeed shit and I must say I was wrong. About Wartales that is, BG3 is utter pozzed garbage. This game is actually quite good, I'm enjoying it so far.
Eyestabber
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Eyestabber »

Still playing this game. Developed a love/hate relationship with it, which probably means I'll have to finish it. However, THIS:

Is fucking unacceptable and makes it so I recommend waiting for patches/sales if you're interested in this game.

Btw, I'm running this mod:

https://www.nexusmods.com/wartales/mods/30

It's pretty good. Might make some fights unwinnable, but you can adjust the difficulty for a single fight. I advise against using the "no grind" option since you'll likely fuck your campaign due to not having proper gear in time to deal with the ever scaling enemies.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

I've been on the fence about this for a while. What is that screen showing that makes it unacceptable?
Eyestabber
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Eyestabber »

Acrux wrote: September 23rd, 2023, 19:45
I've been on the fence about this for a while. What is that screen showing that makes it unacceptable?
As you progress through the game you'll advance in four "Paths" that work like challenges from every other game (Stab X enemies in the back, Craft Y items and so on). Every time you level up a given Path you get to choose a perk. FOUR slots/options are still not in the game, despite its "released" status. This game shipped in an unfinished state and it's still not 100% finished as of today.

EDIT: there are MANY other "micro issues" that make me think this game is not a finished product. Spear walls, for instance: they will stop an enemy dead on its tracks. Except when they don't. Then your Pikeman gets smacked in the face. Certain enemies deal insane damage, despite being regular mooks. I'm assuming that's because the game wasn't play tested at all. Certain fights are straight up unwinnable, and then the "final" fight is a cake walk. Item descriptions are often misleading. Trait names seem to be random, certain enemies refuse to be knocked back with no explanation, the list goes on and on. All these issues SHOULD be addressed in patches, and I strongly suggest you people wait for said patches before spending your hard earned shekels in this Early Acces title.