We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Might & Magic

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Metalhead33

Might & Magic

Post by Metalhead33 »

I'm honestly surprised that the RPG series has no thread on this forum, given how much of an underrated classic it is, overshadowed by its turn-based strategy spinoff (Heroes of Might & Magic). I even wrote an article about it.

The Might & Magic series needs more love.

Any of you guys ever played any of the OGs? And I mean the ones from before Ubisoft took over and turned the entire franchise into shit.

Tags:
fkirenicus

Post by fkirenicus »

Probably have spent about 2,000 days on earth playing MM6-MM9, yes. :-) I Like them all, but perhaps MM8 lacked a bit in the story department, and MM9 in most other departments (at least the developing department). Have to say MM7 is probably my favorite, as I found that to be most "coherent" in lack of better words.
Oh, must admit I never found the guts to go through 1-5, though I hear some of these are really good. Perhaps after the war, when we will go back to x86 machines with 640 kb RAM and green text on black screens. :mrgreen:
Last edited by fkirenicus on April 29th, 2024, 14:52, edited 2 times in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

World of Xeen is good fun. Only similar game I like is Wizardry 8.
Metalhead33

Post by Metalhead33 »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 29th, 2024, 14:52
World of Xeen is good fun. Only similar game I like is Wizardry 8.
M&M3: Isles of Terra and M&M4-5: World of Xeen were my favourites.
Dorateen
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dorateen »

Early Might & Magic I and II should not be overlooked. In some ways, the brutal start for new parties in those games is more hardcore than Wizardry. I'm a huge advocate for the massive open world design of M&M II, which included exploration of the elemental planes and time travel! Combat was also more tactical than what it would later become in the series.
Last edited by Dorateen on April 29th, 2024, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.
Metalhead33

Post by Metalhead33 »

They don't make 'em like they used to.
Metalhead33

Post by Metalhead33 »

They sure don't make 'em like they used to, sadly.

Gregz
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gregz »

Way back in the day I used to enjoy MM2. My favorite is MM7, with MM6 close behind.
Metalhead33

Post by Metalhead33 »

The Might & Magic games are perfect as they are, and they don't need remakes/remasters at all....

... but I wouldn't mind, if they were ported to Android. Or if the Mac versions of M&M 1-2 were ported to PC, since those specific versions were the definitive versions to play.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Metalhead33 wrote: April 29th, 2024, 15:57
The Might & Magic games are perfect as they are, and they don't need remakes/remasters at all....

... but I wouldn't mind, if they were ported to Android. Or if the Mac versions of M&M 1-2 were ported to PC, since those specific versions were the definitive versions to play.
Grayface has a lot of mods, patches, improvements, etc... for some of the games (MM6-8), even HD patches/interface adjustments so you can run it on widescreen high resolutions.

https://grayface.github.io/mm/#GrayFace-MM6-Patch
Havitner

Post by Havitner »

Crusaders of Might & Magic was one of the first RPGs (as in, 'has a character sheet') that I ever played. Replayed it last month, and it was every bit as shitty, janky, and fun as I remember (although the GOG version unfortunately doesn't have the audio glitch that turned all the voiced dialogue into agonizing screeching).

If your game doesn't do this every time you level up, it's a shit game.

Metalhead33

Post by Metalhead33 »

I loved Crusaders of Might & Magic. I remember playing it at an age so young, that I didn't speak English yet, and pronounced its name "Mick ond Moghick", being confused about where to go and what to do in the game. Ah, fun times.