We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Why is Fallout interpreted as a 'critique of capitalism'?

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Why is Fallout interpreted as a 'critique of capitalism'?

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Per the 'classic' Fallouts: Capitalist USA was invaded by China. Capitalist USA repelled the Chinese forces and took the war to the heart of Beijing.
I can't remember which ones this came from: Capitalists essentially won the resource wars by inventing new energy technologies, namely, fusion power. Was this in the original Fallout games?

How is that a critique of capitalism? :scratch:
RangerBoo

Post by RangerBoo »

Because retarded communist millennial and zoomers like Hasan the corporate whore and Vaush the horse cock and child enthusiast think that since Fallout 1 & 2 critique corporatism and neoconservatism that means that the series has always been "anticaptialist". Never mind the fact that the Fallout series was made in the 90's and were more or less a satire the 90's political climate at the time. Same with New Vegas more or less being a critique of the Bush era policies regarding America's expansion into the Middle East which were also politics of its time. You have to understand that these people are retarded. These are the types of people who say things like Cyberpunk is anticapitalist (it isn't) or that D&D is about racism and finding your queer identity (again, it isn't). These people can not separate corporatism and capitalisms. Everything must be viewed through a Marxist lens.
Last edited by RangerBoo on April 27th, 2024, 17:49, edited 2 times in total.
Anon

Post by Anon »

There is a critique to capitalism, only not in the cultural marxist sense. The vault-tec shit is all a critique to capitalism for example. But the overall narrative view is clearly anticommunist considering the whole negative description about China and USSR and depicting US as the superior country.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Anon wrote: April 27th, 2024, 18:37
There is a critique to capitalism, only not in the cultural marxist sense. The vault-tec shit is all a critique to capitalism for example. But the overall narrative view is clearly anticommunist considering the whole negative description about China and USSR and depicting US as the superior country.
The concept of Vaults being experiments isn't even in the original Fallout.
Anon

Post by Anon »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 27th, 2024, 18:39
Wasn't this part of the narrative in fallout 2? Or am I mistaken?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Anon wrote: April 27th, 2024, 18:42
Yes, as Tim Cain has stated in his videos the original purpose was to test humans for fitness in long-term space travel to colonize other planets.
Anon

Post by Anon »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 27th, 2024, 18:49

Yes, as Tim Cain has stated in his videos the original purpose was to test humans for fitness in long-term space travel to colonize other planets.
Gotcha. Well, even if I was right, it's pretty clear that the devs were originally pro-capitalism and pro-US.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Anon wrote: April 27th, 2024, 18:51
, it's pretty clear that the devs were originally pro-capitalism and pro-US.
Yes, they were correct. :smug:
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Fallout 2 had a lot of questionable retcons and narrative decisions.

And yes, the vaults were retconned to be experiments, but that had more to do with the popularity of X-Files at the time than an overarching anticapitalist sentiment.

The Vault-Co stuff is less "capitalism bad" and more "US government is experimenting on its citizens for the lulz".
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

gerey wrote: April 27th, 2024, 19:13

And yes, the vaults were retconned to be experiments, but that had more to do with the popularity of X-Files at the time than an overarching anticapitalist sentiment.

The Vault-Co stuff is less "capitalism bad" and more "US government is experimenting on its citizens for the lulz".
It's funny how it has been turned on its head from "US government controls Vault-Tec" to "Vault-Tech(& others) control the US government"
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 27th, 2024, 19:16

It's funny how it has been turned on its head from "US government controls Vault-Tec" to "Vault-Tech(& others) control the US government"
Every game the Enclave gets less and less capable and bigger jokes :sad:
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Vergil wrote: April 27th, 2024, 19:39
Every game the Enclave gets less and less capable and bigger jokes
I've said it before, but I generally consider the way the Enclave is treated in FO2 to be the single biggest issue with the game. People oftentimes criticize how cartoony the whole of Fallout 3 is, but their depiction of the Enclave is no less stupid than how they are written in Fallout 2.

There's none of the nuance of the Master and his plans, misguided as they were, or the charm/horror/tragedy of the super mutants - the lot of them are all just irredeemable, bigoted assholes. I wish they had been given a fair shake like the Legion was in New Vegas, instead of being used as a convenient shitlib punching bag for when they need to whine about "US bad" or "punch a Nazi".

Just how many Enclaves holdouts can there possible be around the continental US for them to keep coming back?
Last edited by gerey on April 27th, 2024, 19:47, edited 2 times in total.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

My favorite was when the fat guy at the board room meeting had BIG MTN on his name card.
Norfleet

Post by Norfleet »

gerey wrote: April 27th, 2024, 19:46
Just how many Enclaves holdouts can there possible be around the continental US for them to keep coming back?
Same way we keep getting ogres even though the Master and his mutants are long gone. Once something in the franchise is popular and meme-tier enough, it can no longer be allowed to die.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

E-DE's quest was obsidian's reverse retcon of bethesda's enclave.
RangerBoo

Post by RangerBoo »

Why I never! I can not believe that the US government would treat its own citizens as guinea pigs and do horrible experiments on them. That is unbelievable. Everyone knows that the government is our friend. I know because some political Tik Tok influencer for the Democratic party told me so. No, it is way more believable that capitalists want to blow up the world to make a profit, somehow.
WaterMage

Post by WaterMage »

Fallout New Vegas is great exactly because Mr House is peak capitalism and was 100% right. This TV show, I don't care.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

No one interprets Fallout as a critique of capitalism. People who say that either never played fo1-2 and doing this because they are useful idiots, or they played fo1-2 and only doing this because they want to create more of the type 1 people.
RangerBoo

Post by RangerBoo »

wndrbr wrote: April 28th, 2024, 02:49
No one interprets Fallout as a critique of capitalism. People who say that either never played fo1-2 and doing this because they are useful idiots, or they played fo1-2 and only doing this because they want to create more of the type 1 people.
You need to understand that most of the people who say that "Fallout has always been a critique of capitalisms" are retarded zoomers born after 9/11. They have no understanding of the what the culture or political climate was like in the 90's and even early 2000's. They only see things in their "current year" lens. One of the things I am learning in history is to understand that some things that may seem outdated now were products on their time hundreds or so years ago. As such we have to understand and see things from the perspective of that time. Zoomers and many millennials are incapable of doing that. To them everything must be looked at through a Marxist lens.
Last edited by RangerBoo on April 28th, 2024, 03:05, edited 1 time in total.
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

fo1 is just mad max in california, just missing the v8 interceptor
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

asf wrote: April 28th, 2024, 03:57
fo1 is just mad max in california, just missing the v8 interceptor
That's why it's good.
Last edited by Irenaeus on April 28th, 2024, 12:59, edited 1 time in total.
gastovski

Post by gastovski »

Afraid of losing chinese market thats why, everybody fears china now
Katler3

Post by Katler3 »

There are elements that are obviously anti-capitalist, but my guess is that most of its themes are more centered around anti-dogmatism.

Which fits quite ironically with the acceleration of change (mutations, destruction, collapse and reformation of society) caused by nuclear war and radioactive fallout.
Havitner

Post by Havitner »

The Vault Experiments may be sort of over the top and silly, but adding (retconning them into) the canon made vaults one of my favorite elements of Fallout.

I may be cynical now, but back in my more innocent days it was always exciting to find one. You'd turn a corner in some radroach cave and suddenly there's a big, ominous vault door looming over you. Then you'd spend the next half hour slowly sneaking through a dead, possibly monster-infested underground bunker complex slowly piecing together from old notes and computer terminals what horrible experiment this particular batch of unfortunate bastards were subjected to.

Also, I liked collecting vault suits.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Havitner wrote: April 28th, 2024, 17:51
The Vault Experiments may be sort of over the top and silly, but adding (retconning them into) the canon made vaults one of my favorite elements of Fallout.
I hated that element, it turns human tragedy into goofy tinfoil hat bullshittery and it permanently scarred the franchise as a whole, allowing every mouthbreathing author out there to shit out a moronic "experiment" to justify all manner of stupidity.

In Fallout 1 the implication was that the vaults were failing due to human error, mismanagement, wartime shortages et al - it tells a far grimmer tale when Fallout 13 is in trouble because someone in the supply-chain fucked up and replacement chips didn't get delivered, or that Vault 12 failed because the vault door was faulty, or that people were forced to leave Vault 15 because of overcrowding.
Red7

Post by Red7 »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 27th, 2024, 17:36
Per the 'classic' Fallouts: Capitalist USA was invaded by China. Capitalist USA repelled the Chinese forces and took the war to the heart of Beijing.
I can't remember which ones this came from: Capitalists essentially won the resource wars by inventing new energy technologies, namely, fusion power. Was this in the original Fallout games?

How is that a critique of capitalism? :scratch:
i think average commie that wrote it thinks capitalism is all about ponzi fiat system

ponzi fiat system allows and requires semi unlimited, unsustainable expansion of population leading to resource wars as u can always borrow fake money to fund niggers breeding like rabbits and make fake jobs for new slaves that are in debt before they are born. u need population growth so they can borrow more money etc.

idea is population grows faster than (cost adjusted) efficiency. and its true in inflationary system as inflation requires prices to go up/debt gets ifnlated away or it implodes
so reduction of cost by technology and automation is offset by inflation. it was offset sooooo much in fact they had to move manufacturing to china

hard money solves this; no fake jobs for niggers, niggers dont overbreed/die surrounded by highly automated world of abundance cause they didnt bought bitcoin.
Last edited by Red7 on April 28th, 2024, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.
Red7

Post by Red7 »

gastovski wrote: April 28th, 2024, 13:04
i think u wanted to say "afraid of losing access to their products/exports" china does not buy much shit from west except farming shit
BobT

Post by BobT »

gastovski wrote: April 28th, 2024, 13:04
There's a lot of stuff like that. Movies that don't like to paint China as the villain etc anymore.
They're usually still ok with doing it to Russians though lol.

Just shows their loyalty only lies with the wallet, not principles.
Faceless_Sentinel

Post by Faceless_Sentinel »

In fallout new vegas New Californian Republic described as a corrupt state that cares about the welfare of arms companies, livestock farmers and merchant houses more than the state itself. Army is undersupplied and underequipped and can't fully protect the republic territory, especially usual citizens from gangs, especially near border. Constant seizure of territories they cannot control, almost no protection of trade routes mentioned in New Vegas many times.

Criticism of what is all this?