We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Junior Adventurer's Guild - May: Knights of the Old Republic

Participate in a new RPG each month with other members of the HQ

What game should we play in May?

Poll ended at May 1st, 2024, 02:59

Dark Messiah of Might & Magic (2006)
5%
Dragon Age: Origins (2009)
21%
Expeditions: Conquistador (2013)
11%
Hard to be a God (2007)
5%
Knights of the Old Republic (2003)
26%
Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword (2011)
No votes
Oblivion (2006)
No votes
System Shock (1994)
11%
Two Worlds (2007)
11%
Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines (2004)
11%

Total votes: 19

junior

Post by junior »

logincrash wrote: May 5th, 2024, 12:09
wndrbr wrote: May 5th, 2024, 12:00
Playing in 1024x768 like it's 2003 :cool:
I should get a 4:3 monitor.
5:4, 16:10>4:3, 16:9

Tags:
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

I encountered my first gamebreaking bug-- Mission didn't spawn to whine about her Wookie. (Probably the mods, but the trigger is killing the ghoul at the maingate, so maybe choosing to not help fucked the spawn?)

My memory was blind to how many niggers and boss girls were in this game, I guess the remake will be quite accurate then. The dialogue is also far shittier than I remember.
Last edited by ArcaneLurker on May 6th, 2024, 15:51, edited 2 times in total.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Reading about all the ancient woke (gay) shit this game has, I'm glad I skipped it when it was released.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

The more I play KOTOR, the less I understand why it was and still is so highly praised. Attributes and skills (other than persuade in 99% of cases) don't matter in dialogue, and persuade itself is not deterministic, so you can just savescum your way to a success.

Skills themselves don't matter for your PC outside or persuade, everything else can be handed off to your companions, combat and encounters are not particularly hard so you can breeze through most of the game even with a suboptimal build.

Also, chances to roleplay are nonexistent - there's no nuance to the choices, you either pick the good or evil choice and that's all there is to it.

It's not an unfun game, the combat at least looks somewhat stylish with animated dodges, parries and blocks, but it just feels far too simplistic. Maybe it will get a bit more depth once Force powers come into play, but combat just seems to boil down to how much DPS you can dish out - maneuvering and positioning your party is incredibly clunky and not worth your time, since the time you're wasting moving them around is less time you spend dishing out DPS.

At least Pazaak is fun.
Boontaker

Post by Boontaker »

gerey wrote: May 7th, 2024, 09:05
The more I play KOTOR, the less I understand why it was and still is so highly praised. Attributes and skills (other than persuade in 99% of cases) don't matter in dialogue, and persuade itself is not deterministic, so you can just savescum your way to a success.

Skills themselves don't matter for your PC outside or persuade, everything else can be handed off to your companions, combat and encounters are not particularly hard so you can breeze through most of the game even with a suboptimal build.

Also, chances to roleplay are nonexistent - there's no nuance to the choices, you either pick the good or evil choice and that's all there is to it.

It's not an unfun game, the combat at least looks somewhat stylish with animated dodges, parries and blocks, but it just feels far too simplistic. Maybe it will get a bit more depth once Force powers come into play, but combat just seems to boil down to how much DPS you can dish out - maneuvering and positioning your party is incredibly clunky and not worth your time, since the time you're wasting moving them around is less time you spend dishing out DPS.

At least Pazaak is fun.
Combat gets "fun" after dantooine, you will occasionally encounter enemies with bloated stats that could 'solo' an unprepared party. I would quicksave often, the benefit to min/maxing is blasting down even these enemies which is enjoyable IMO. The albino Kath hound and the lead mandolorian on planet D are your first taste.

On the subject of party AI I feel terribly spoiled by modern mechanics that allow you to set a script. The companions seem to default to a certain combat style/ability spam regardless of what is actually strongest or even the highest feat chain they have. Watching Bastila blow through all her force points on an IMMUNE enemy was not enjoyable.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

The more I play KOTOR, the less I understand why it was and still is so highly praised

combat and encounters are not particularly hard so you can breeze through most of the game even with a suboptimal build

there's no nuance to the choices, you either pick the good or evil choice and that's all there is to it.
xbox babby's first rpg.
Attributes and skills (other than persuade in 99% of cases) don't matter in dialogue, skills themselves don't matter for your PC outside or persuade, everything else can be handed off to your companions
btw you don't even need to level Security, you can just bash open every lock with no downsides. "Items getting broken"" mechanic was only introduced in KOTOR2. So basically the only skills that matter are Persuade and Repair (to fix HK-47).
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

wndrbr wrote: May 7th, 2024, 10:22
So basically the only skills that matter are Persuade and Repair (to fix HK-47).
And if I remember my previous playthrough, you can cheese that too with items/implants, and even if you do repair him he's still a subpar choice compared to other party members, which is a pity because he's the only likeable out of the bunch.
Last edited by gerey on May 7th, 2024, 10:29, edited 1 time in total.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

You're a dumb little kid who recently watched the new Star Wars film in the theaters, and who has never played anything more complex than Halo. You buy this game for your Xbox, boot it, and get to be the cool jedi in an awesome Star Wars adventure.

Famous IP and Xbos as the target platform mean the game will attract normies - therefore it cannot be too difficult, otherwise the normies will dislike it. And Star Wars IP is generally known for fairly black and white "sith bad, jedi good" morals, so the game can't have an overly complex plot, otherwise it may end up confusing the audience. I believe that's the main reason KOTOR was designed as "the perfect product for the normies". Not that Bioware was known for making serious and hardcore games.
Boontaker

Post by Boontaker »

wndrbr wrote: May 7th, 2024, 10:38
You're a dumb little kid who recently watched the new Star Wars film in the theaters, and who has never played anything more complex than Halo. You buy this game for your Xbox, boot it, and get to be the cool jedi in an awesome Star Wars adventure.

Famous IP and Xbos as the target platform mean the game will attract normies - therefore it cannot be too difficult, otherwise the normies will dislike it. And Star Wars IP is generally known for fairly black and white "sith bad, jedi good" morals, so the game can't have an overly complex plot, otherwise it may end up confusing the audience. I believe that's the main reason KOTOR was designed as "the perfect product for the normies". Not that Bioware was known for making serious and hardcore games.
Going to a friend's house to play KOTOR/WoW all night was kino.
logincrash

Post by logincrash »

Boontaker wrote: May 7th, 2024, 11:38
Going to a friend's house to play KOTOR/WoW all night was kino.
That's how I first played KotOR. My friend, his older brother, and I would play KotOR and Jedi Academy for hours.
Element

Post by Element »

Was DAO a massive improvement on this in the combat department or am I just jaded from starwind?
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Element wrote: May 7th, 2024, 20:06
Was DAO a massive improvement on this in the combat department or am I just jaded from starwind?
It was, both on KOTOR and Jade Empire, if only because of the shifted camera perspective and the fact you could order your party members around with a mouse.

Even something like the "tactical" camera form Inquisition would have improved the combat in KOTOR games massively.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

I've never done anything but spam a single attack move throughout any of my KOTOR playthroughs. I just like Star Wars :)
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Oyster Sauce wrote: May 7th, 2024, 20:45
I've never done anything but spam a single attack move throughout any of my KOTOR playthroughs
I was getting mad that I had to keep scrolling to my preferred attack in combat, so I found a savegame editor that let me easily delete the default feat I wasn't using. This can probably be used to tailor the companion AI a bit more to your liking too.

https://deadlystream.com/files/file/503 ... me-editor/
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Weird seeing people complain about combat in a game I played as a toddler :scratch:
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Vergil wrote: May 9th, 2024, 03:45
Weird seeing people complain about combat in a game I played as a toddler
People are complaining that the combat is too simplistic and monotone.

Stealth is too clunky and slow to be worthwhile (other than scouting what is in the next room, or lobbing a grenade at an unsuspecting group of enemies), positioning doesn't matter much, just explore with your tank and 9/10 times all enemies will aggro him anyway. Ostensibly there's items that should be able to stun enemies, but I rarely see this happen, and it's more efficient to deal damage anyway. Maybe you'll make use of buffing consumables once in a while, but that's such a basic feature that it's not even worth mentioning.
Element

Post by Element »

gerey wrote: May 7th, 2024, 20:14
It was, both on KOTOR and Jade Empire, if only because of the shifted camera perspective and the fact you could order your party members around with a mouse.

Even something like the "tactical" camera form Inquisition would have improved the combat in KOTOR games massively.
I mentioned dao in the best combat by subgenre thread, but I thought it was simply the final culmination of what I remembered Kotor being. But replaying the latter now it feels a lot more barebones, even though on paper they haven't diverged all that much in their approach.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Element wrote: May 9th, 2024, 09:56
I mentioned dao in the best combat by subgenre thread, but I thought it was simply the final culmination of what I remembered Kotor being. But replaying the latter now it feels a lot more barebones, even though on paper they haven't diverged all that much in their approach.
They're not really the same thing. I'm pretty sure KOTOR is still round-based, internally, while DAO is not.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

I think the main culprit is the camera, and it is the way it is because KOTOR was primarily a console release, so the whole game had to be built around controller limitations. This then spilled over into gameplay and combat too, both in terms of how you control the party, but also map and encounter design.

Not to say that BioWare was all that good at encounter designs before, but KOTOR feels especially shallow. Then again, maybe there was some thought put into enemy combinations and placement, but the game's overwhelming focus on dishing out damage above all else erases any nuance.
logincrash

Post by logincrash »

I only just got to Dantooine. I will now think real hard when voting for the next month's game.
I think I liked the memory of playing KotOR more than actually playing KotOR.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

logincrash wrote: May 9th, 2024, 15:48
I only just got to Dantooine. I will now think real hard when voting for the next month's game.
I think I liked the memory of playing KotOR more than actually playing KotOR.
My enjoyment of the game has gone up drastically after getting force speed
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

I hate wookies. I come there to save them from the slavers, and they are like "i will not speak with you, unworthy outsider!"

Bunch of hairy tree-hugging niggers.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

wndrbr wrote: May 10th, 2024, 13:26
I hate wookies. I come there to save them from the slavers, and they are like "i will not speak with you, unworthy outsider!"

They're no Republic Commando wookies, that's for sure
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

wndrbr wrote: May 10th, 2024, 13:26
As always, Palpatine was right for enslaving them.

Only the sting of a neuronic whip will motivate a wookie to do a day of honest work.
logincrash

Post by logincrash »

This "you must gather your companions before moving on to the next area" is driving me fucking nuts. The pathfinding is so bad that when I switch to the companion who's missing, they're like miles away stuck at a corner near the previous entrance to the map.
FUCK