We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

John Wick 4 (Keanu Reeves and Donnie Yen!)

Movies? TV shows? Books? Comics? Music? It goes here.
Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

I don't want to watch it.

I'll probably watch it.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

I want to watch it. I already watched the others so the costs are sunk, let's get this over with.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

I must confess that I am a big fan of Donnie Yen's. He's really good at hand to hand combat. He reminds me of Bruce Lee. But I don't think I've seen the 3rd one. I know I've seen the first one, and loved it. I know I saw the 2nd one, because I was annoyed the expanded the universe with shit that they shouldn't've... but I've skipped on the 3rd one, because I had a feeling they'd just bloat everything.

I do like seeing Donnie Yen doing his thing, though. :D
Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

Well I watched it. It was fun, and very long. Osaka was great, after that the fight scenes were still fun but I wasn't able to continue stretching my belief in Wick's indestructibility. Especially since, in this installment, you're forced multiple times to directly compare the effects of the same types of injury (thrown off a balcony, body landing asymmetrically on a sharp surface, etc) between Wick and his foes and, somehow, Wick comes out ahead in each one.

But the fights themselves were refreshingly well-shot, with none of that bullshit shaky cam where I have no idea what's going on. All of the action was cleanly shown and easy to follow.

And of course, the cast was great. I'd have a hard time hating any movie with Scott Adkins in it, and I love Donnie Yen too.

I'm glad it's over.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Kalarion wrote: March 25th, 2023, 21:38
I'm glad it's over.
it's not over yet, Reeves confirmed that he's gonna play Wick in a spin-off series with Ana de Armas.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

I'm on my way to see this, right now. Let's see how this goes.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

It was okay. German club scene was goofy af. Same with the Arc Du' Triumf, if you've been there and walked the Champs Elysees. But otherwise, it was pretty good.

Best moment: when Neo tells Morpheus he needs a gun. :D
Ranselknulf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ranselknulf »

It was ok.

I felt like they could have explored the world of assassin's order more. Instead we got a lot of fight scenes, which was ok. I felt like it was a missed opportunity.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

This movie was extremely average, and lacked any staying power that could justify the over 2 and a half hours long runtime. There really isn't a story to speak of, just a collection of fight scenes where an indestructible Keanu Reeves wreaks havoc on dozens of video game NPCs who can barely scratch him. That may sound fine enough, but when it's supposed to carry an entire feature film it's a big stretch. Unlike another action flick power fantasy, "Wanted", the scenes in John Wick aren't as dynamic or exciting. The camera remains steady, and most of the punches and gunshots start to blend in after a while. They're fine enough, but when there's no story or characters to relate to whatsoever it's a big ask for the audience. Keanu Reeves just deals in small talk and rarely speaks a complete sentence, hardly what you would call a compelling main character.

I just hope this is the last John Wick film we'll ever see, the brand can't really progress any further from here.