We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Extended downtime in the future

Got a complaint or a suggestion? Also used for general information about the site.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Extended downtime in the future

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Going to be moving the forum to a new server at some point. Making everyone aware so there's no surprise maintenance in the upcoming days or weeks.

Tags:
Anon

Post by Anon »

Will this allow you to let mods section be public again?
Slavic Sorcerer

Post by Slavic Sorcerer »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 7th, 2024, 23:26
Going to be moving the forum to a new server at some point. Making everyone aware so there's no surprise maintenance in the upcoming days or weeks.
Will this affect the Vault in any way?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Slavic Sorcerer wrote: April 7th, 2024, 23:32
Will this affect the Vault in any way?
No.
Vault files should (nearly) always be accessible regardless of any HQ service outages.
Vault service itself is on a separate server from the forums.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Anon wrote: April 7th, 2024, 23:30
Will this allow you to let mods section be public again?
No, that was a policy decision.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

to a new server at some point.
I have it up for testing if anyone wants to see if something is borked. Should also be noticeably faster.
https://forums-staging.rpghq.org/forums/index.php
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

server will be going down shortly
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on May 4th, 2024, 09:12, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

if nothing goes wrong, few minutes. If stuff breaks, dunno.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

noticeable improvement in loading times :heart:
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

ok, done messing with the server, was making sure the backup script was functioning properly
backup downtime should also be significantly faster now, 2-3 seconds
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on May 4th, 2024, 10:54, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Aware of issues sending emails since the migration, working on a fix.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

This extended downtime was not very extended.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 5th, 2024, 16:53
I'll fix this tonight(AM), I don't want to keep interrupting people mid-day. Just deal with the email not working until then, I guess.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

I didn't even have time to bitch about it in IRC. Worst downtime.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 5th, 2024, 18:44
I'll fix this tonight(AM), I don't want to keep interrupting people mid-day. Just deal with the email not working until then, I guess.
I lied, updating to the latest LTS.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

After pulling my hair out all day and trying everything, it appears our email delivery service has our new ASN blocked…
DagothGeas5

Post by DagothGeas5 »

Since the downtime thing the site loads really slowly at first visit for me. What I mean is, the first visit in a while loads very slowly and seems to almost be about to give the "this site is unreachable" error thing. It then suddenly loads everything all at once and works fine from there.
I do not mind, but if it can be of use I am reporting it to you here :3

More info if it is of any use (again, I do not mind, but I wish to help if it's an issue or something on the site's end, though I am more inclined to believe it's on mine): I am using the old Opera browser (no GTX or what's the name of the new one), my pc specs I have no idea but it has no loading or stuttering issues with newer games, though I know my graphics card cannot do raytracing. I am currently residing in Italy, I have no idea about the internet specs but it never has loading issues unless it rains, and, though I have access to VPN-things, I do not have them active.
Last edited by DagothGeas5 on May 6th, 2024, 06:25, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Emails should start working again whenever our new email service gets back to me to fully enable our account.
DagothGeas5 wrote: May 6th, 2024, 06:24
ince the downtime thing the site loads really slowly at first visit for me. What I mean is, the first visit in a while loads very slowly and seems to almost be about to give the "this site is unreachable" error thing. It then suddenly loads everything all at once and works fine from there.

More info if it is of any use (again, I do not mind, but I wish to help if it's an issue or something on the site's end, though I am more inclined to believe it's on mine): I am using the old Opera browser (no GTX or what's the name of the new one), my pc specs I have no idea but it has no loading or stuttering issues with newer games, though I know my graphics card cannot do raytracing. I am currently residing in Italy, I have no idea about the internet specs but it never has loading issues unless it rains, and, though I have access to VPN-things, I do not have them active.
Is this still happening? I was working off & on on the site for a large portion of the day today so you might have experienced that.
DagothGeas5

Post by DagothGeas5 »

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 6th, 2024, 06:58
Emails should start working again whenever our new email service gets back to me to fully enable our account.
DagothGeas5 wrote: May 6th, 2024, 06:24
ince the downtime thing the site loads really slowly at first visit for me. What I mean is, the first visit in a while loads very slowly and seems to almost be about to give the "this site is unreachable" error thing. It then suddenly loads everything all at once and works fine from there.

Is this still happening? I was working off & on on the site for a large portion of the day today so you might have experienced that.
Just did, but I feel it was faster this time.
Thank you for all you do rusty :heart: ! If there is any info I can give that might help if it is something you wish looked into, let me know!
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

DagothGeas5 wrote: May 6th, 2024, 07:26
What version is your browser?
You should be able to find it in the 'About Opera' tab somewhere.
And unless you're tied to it, I'd suggest switching to something like Brave, as Opera is just a proprietary fork of Chromium. Brave is also a fork of Chromium, but it's open source with privacy oriented/usability features out of the box.
DagothGeas5

Post by DagothGeas5 »

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 6th, 2024, 07:34
DagothGeas5 wrote: May 6th, 2024, 07:26
What version is your browser?
You should be able to find it in the 'About Opera' tab somewhere.
And unless you're tied to it, I'd suggest switching to something like Brave, as Opera is just a proprietary fork of Chromium. Brave is also a fork of Chromium, but it's open source with privacy oriented/usability features out of the box.
Will save your comment on a notepad so I can remember, but for now switching over will be a bit too much for me to handle, not in too right a state to learn to use something new right now, but will try it out first chance I get.
The version is 109.0.5097.68 should be the latest. Also, the site loaded normally this time (and I can tell it's faster than it used to be, though I don't mind loading pages), so it truly might have been a simple question of timing on my end. Thank you once more for the suggestions and the assistance! I will let you know if it happens again, but so far it seems fixed.

EDIT: Finally managed to find the post again! So, as I wanted to say, I installed Brave but it is, for now, very overwhelming with the options, and I realized I will need to find Tamper Monkey scripts for websites I know I installed but cannot remember any information about, so migrating will take quite a long time. Regardless, once more thank you for the suggestion, it feels like a smoother browser from my, for now, limited experience with it :heart:
Last edited by DagothGeas5 on May 7th, 2024, 09:09, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

OK, finally switched to our new email service, this one requires manual approval and has strict usage terms to keep out spammers/marketing so hopefully we also have no issues with password reset emails failing to deliver now.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on May 8th, 2024, 20:28, edited 1 time in total.