We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Grimoire - Heralds of the Winged Exemplar (Multiclassing)

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Xenich

Grimoire - Heralds of the Winged Exemplar (Multiclassing)

Post by Xenich »

I remember picking this up when Cleve first released it, I toyed with it always meaning to really sink my teeth into it, but never got around to it.

My question is, and I am still diving into the manual at the moment to figure things out, but when would you normally switch in such a progression:

Thaumaturge => Wizard => Necromancer => Sage => Cleric => Templar => Warrior => Pirate => Berserker => Ranger => Assassin => Thief => Bard => Jester

I think V3 allows changes at level 3, but I see a lot of V2 people doing it at 9 due to EXP shooting up.

Do you level each class up to level 9, then change or is there a different static level to change, or... is it more of a variable based on your own decisions as to what is best in each class?

I didn't multiclass a lot in Wizardry, I always tended to stick with a base balanced party, but I thought for this game due to its massive depth in the systems, it would be fun to meta game it a bit and design out my progression a bit before I started (due to my dislike of replaying games over and over again).

I don't have to be perfect, I just wanted to experience the progression and so I was looking at doing a Jester at least, then taking every other party member through a progression to their end class that is specific to the base party balance I am looking for.

I don't need someone to plan anything out for me, I am just interested in how the mechanics work so I can continue to build a solid progression for my playthrough.

I assume that if all of my characters are going to follow a progression (Casters/Melee/utility/etc...), I would setup their multiclassing paths, then make sure that their changes properly balance between the progression roughly at each class switch.

My big issue is timing as I mentioned though and I am not concerned so much about lack of exp due to the fact that Cleve added some things that help to deal with this. I don't mind grinding etc... (I plan to play this very slowly as a side game over time). I also don't mind dying a lot due to being weak at times due to saving points or foregoing HP dumps to maximize skill/attributes.

Lastly, as for attributes and skills, it says in the manual that attributes reset to the next class, so I assume you need to be careful about over dumping in a stat in this process due to it being dropped? Does this mean that you should forego bonsues going to skills and simply horde for attributes only?

I guess my issue is really when you switch, and the basics on paying attention to skill/attribute distribution in the process.
Last edited by Xenich on April 7th, 2024, 14:57, edited 1 time in total.

Tags:
Gunnar

Post by Gunnar »

Class change at level 8. Level 9 starts taking too long to reach. Save up attribute bonuses as each class has requirements you need to meet to change into them. You can save scum attribute gains. Berserkers and necromancers have unique class skills they need to cultivate to be effective and they do better with higher levels. You can turn random encounters up/down or off so you can grind how you want.
Dorateen
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dorateen »

Just a couple of things to mention: In Grimoire, classes are restricted to only the professions they can switch to, which is why you have to plot the progression. And they cannot switch back to previous classes (unlike Wizardry) so it is a one-way trip.

Spell casting classes have different skills that handle their magic, so be aware for example if you transition from Wizard to Necromancer. Stats do reset to the minimum requirements of the new class, but health, magic and stamina pools continue to grow as you level up. One of the biggest incentives to change, so the character can continue to level up and increase those numbers.

As Gunnar answered, level 8 is about right for choosing a new vocation.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Gunnar wrote: April 7th, 2024, 15:29
Class change at level 8. Level 9 starts taking too long to reach. Save up attribute bonuses as each class has requirements you need to meet to change into them. You can save scum attribute gains. Berserkers and necromancers have unique class skills they need to cultivate to be effective and they do better with higher levels. You can turn random encounters up/down or off so you can grind how you want.
Dorateen wrote: April 7th, 2024, 15:40
Just a couple of things to mention: In Grimoire, classes are restricted to only the professions they can switch to, which is why you have to plot the progression. And they cannot switch back to previous classes (unlike Wizardry) so it is a one-way trip.

Spell casting classes have different skills that handle their magic, so be aware for example if you transition from Wizard to Necromancer. Stats do reset to the minimum requirements of the new class, but health, magic and stamina pools continue to grow as you level up. One of the biggest incentives to change, so the character can continue to level up and increase those numbers.

As Gunnar answered, level 8 is about right for choosing a new vocation.

Much thanks!

So I would assume that I should look to the end as what I want my ideal party to be as it concerns the class then?

Or can you with enough time, take the same progression to Jester for all classes, but stopping at certain classes and taking them up to higher levels before moving on to another class ultimately leading to Jester (that is, if this was the ideal goal of making all jesters).

If that isn't practical, then would it be better to select the specific classes that do well at higher levels as an end point, and then working the progressions to end at those stages leaving the 8+ progression at each one of those.

Gunnar noted that some classes require higher levels to reach their overall effectiveness, so putting those at the end of the list (or leveling them up longer) seems to be the approach. I will have to look closer at the skills/spells and see how that will map out.

So if I understand this correctly, changing classes is primarily used to maximize hp/magic/sta pools, so the consideration is then what spells you want as it concerns the classes level you want to obtain them, and skills as well if I read that right?

In terms of skills, IF I select them in a previous class, are they still accessible in the next class to raise or are they then locked to that level and only accessible if a new class shares those skills?

I think that would answer most of my questions.

Thanks again!
Gunnar

Post by Gunnar »

Skills are only available by the classes who can use them, you can’t keep putting points in necromancy unless you are a necromancer.

Berserkers use the skill ‘berserk’ and you’ll want this skill as high as possible if you’re playing one - but you can’t max it at level 8.. so when i make a berserker ill run him through a couple martial classes and then settle on berserker so i can max his skill before too much of the game has passed by.

Necromancers get crazy spells at high level, higher level soells than any caster class and its unlikely you’ll get to such high levels in the game if you multiclass him too much.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Gunnar wrote: April 8th, 2024, 13:38
Skills are only available by the classes who can use them, you can’t keep putting points in necromancy unless you are a necromancer.

Berserkers use the skill ‘berserk’ and you’ll want this skill as high as possible if you’re playing one - but you can’t max it at level 8.. so when i make a berserker ill run him through a couple martial classes and then settle on berserker so i can max his skill before too much of the game has passed by.

Necromancers get crazy spells at high level, higher level soells than any caster class and its unlikely you’ll get to such high levels in the game if you multiclass him too much.
What are your thoughts on single class play throughs? Picking a balanced party and then just playing it through?

Or, at the least just picking a few progressions in each class (maybe a 3-4 change), then settling on an end class? This way, you can maximize the class to its full potential, while shoring up some of the pools to give them a bit more strength?
Gunnar

Post by Gunnar »

Part of the fun is class changing for me, but it’s not required to beat the game. Single class play through could be considered a challenge run, nothing wrong with that. I usually do about 3-4 class changes, its enough to get your party all sorted out by the time you clear samhain.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Gunnar wrote: April 8th, 2024, 14:03
Part of the fun is class changing for me, but it’s not required to beat the game. Single class play through could be considered a challenge run, nothing wrong with that. I usually do about 3-4 class changes, its enough to get your party all sorted out by the time you clear samhain.
Ok, a balance of both seems like the best approach for me. I want to play with class switching, but I also don't want to spend all of my time doing spreadsheets on it.

I think I will pick the classes I want as a single party, then build a short progression of multiclassing that develops their specific focus and leave it at that. That way I can open up my selection of races as the extreme long term progressions were narrowing choices in that area.

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated.