We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Woke Content Detector's Curated List of Games

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

To me, having to choose a 'body type' during character creation is an explicit agreement to a certain set of (real-world) beliefs. No different than if a game required me to sign an agreement of the developer's religious beliefs to play the game.
BobT

Post by BobT »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 9th, 2024, 08:47
To me, having to choose a 'body type' during character creation is an explicit agreement to a certain set of (real-world) beliefs. No different than if a game required me to sign an agreement of the developer's religious beliefs to play the game.
Yup, but if it's JUST that and nothing else, that can be the difference between wait and buy on major sale (should usually be the default anyway tbh) and outright :pirate:

The recommendation is pretty irrelevant besides informing how much woke there is or not.

I'd like to see an end to the newspeak though, and glad that mods are removing that. Anything is better than tacit acceptance.
Furin

Post by Furin »

BobT wrote: April 9th, 2024, 10:15
The recommendation is pretty irrelevant besides informing how much woke there is or not.
This. Quite frankly, whether a game is informational vs not recommended doesn't really matter.

It's just a visual indicator for subtle vs overt messaging.

On the topic of "body type" in Helldivers II, here I think it is OK because it is referring to bulky vs lean.
In other words, actual body types rather than newspeak for male vs female. I wouldn't consider that Woke in and of itself.

The problem comes from female voice options. That muddies the whole thing because now your character could be male or female regardless of body type.
That's why, to me, I read this as a lack of distinction between male vs female other than voice.

Edit: upon further reflection, I guess it would be OK having "bulky" characters with female voices. While not common, it is possible. I still don't like how both "body types" look distinctly male despite there being female voice options however. Maybe it should be called pro-DEI instead of pro-LGBTQ+?
Last edited by Furin on April 9th, 2024, 18:10, edited 3 times in total.
orinEsque

Post by orinEsque »

Furin wrote: April 9th, 2024, 18:05
BobT wrote: April 9th, 2024, 10:15
This. Quite frankly, whether a game is informational vs not recommended doesn't really matter.

It's just a visual indicator for subtle vs overt messaging.

On the topic of "body type" in Helldivers II, here I think it is OK because it is referring to bulky vs lean.
In other words, actual body types rather than newspeak for male vs female. I wouldn't consider that Woke in and of itself.

The problem comes from female voice options. That muddies the whole thing because now your character could be male or female regardless of body type.
That's why, to me, I read this as a lack of distinction between male vs female other than voice.

Edit: upon further reflection, I guess it would be OK having "bulky" characters with female voices. While not common, it is possible. I still don't like how both "body types" look distinctly male despite there being female voice options however. Maybe it should be called pro-DEI instead of pro-LGBTQ+?
It kind of keeps with the old helldivers series I guess. There has never been any female model in their old games (Magicka/Helldivers) because of budget. It might be a throwback to the old games + convenient DEI signalling.
TKVNC

Post by TKVNC »

Furin wrote: April 9th, 2024, 18:05
I had to check a video to see exactly what you meant - Body Type doesn't appear to be flagged for Sex, but I think it's implied that Lean is Female, and Brawny is Male - that said, all the armour is basically identical, so it's not, for example, WoW with Body Type, rather than Male or Female. The voice part is concerning though, since it is effectively implying Women and Men share the same physiques; this is patently false.

But as for LGBTQ+ it's not as clear - DEI it definitely is - so maybe your conclusion is right.
ClosetWizard

Post by ClosetWizard »

Just want to say I object to the claim that Civ 6 has no woke content. They race-bent Suleiman the Magnificent twice, despite clear contemporary evidence and even his modern day descendants showcasing his true identity. They also did the same thing to Wilhelmina, Gitarja, and Seondeok, however only when it happened to women did they get called out and change it.

There's also an argument to be made about their insistence on implementing female rulers even if they weren't actually good rulers. Seondeok in particular was notably egregious and controversial because she wasn't a good ruler and was seemingly only picked to meet a quota and/or because there was a drama series about her at the time.

Now, I will admit that none of this affects the gameplay itself, but I do think it's worth noting anyway.
Last edited by ClosetWizard on April 13th, 2024, 07:44, edited 1 time in total.
Furin

Post by Furin »

ClosetWizard wrote: April 13th, 2024, 07:38
Just want to say I object to the claim that Civ 6 has no woke content. They race-bent Suleiman the Magnificent twice, despite clear contemporary evidence and even his modern day descendants showcasing his true identity. They also did the same thing to Wilhelmina, Gitarja, and Seondeok, however only when it happened to women did they get called out and change it.

There's also an argument to be made about their insistence on implementing female rulers even if they weren't actually good rulers. Seondeok in particular was notably egregious and controversial because she wasn't a good ruler and was seemingly only picked to meet a quota and/or because there was a drama series about her at the time.

Now, I will admit that none of this affects the gameplay itself, but I do think it's worth noting anyway.
Thanks for the feedback!

These are good points, and this is the first time I've heard about some of this.

I'll look into the race swapping and some of the historical context you mentioned. You're right that it may not necessarily affect gameplay, however, I'd say you're also right in pointing out what might be a clear case of pro-DEI messaging based on the inclusion of some of these historical figures.
ClosetWizard

Post by ClosetWizard »

Furin wrote: April 13th, 2024, 08:00

Thanks for the feedback!

These are good points, and this is the first time I've heard about some of this.

I'll look into the race swapping and some of the historical context you mentioned. You're right that it may not necessarily affect gameplay, however, I'd say you're also right in pointing out what might be a clear case of pro-DEI messaging based on the inclusion of some of these historical figures.
Happy to help. I just stumbled on the thread while looking for stardew stuff and felt a need to make sure it was documented :)

Contemporary art of Suleiman:

Suleiman as depicted in civ 6 (both versions)

Here's a comparison of Seondeok as she appeared in the pre-release trailer for Gathering Storm vs release version. They got called out heavily, particularly by Korean-Americans, for making her look Indian.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

ClosetWizard wrote: April 13th, 2024, 08:36
Furin wrote: April 13th, 2024, 08:00

Thanks for the feedback!

Happy to help. I just stumbled on the thread while looking for stardew stuff and felt a need to make sure it was documented :)

Contemporary art of Suleiman:

Suleiman as depicted in civ 6 (both versions)

Here's a comparison of Seondeok as she appeared in the pre-release trailer for Gathering Storm vs release version. They got called out heavily, particularly by Korean-Americans, for making her look Indian.
Not related to the original topic, but I really hate that art style they chose. Cartoon doesn't fit how I view the civ games at all.
Furin

Post by Furin »

Civ VI has been changed to not recommended.

I tried to include as much as I could but I ran out of characters and had to compromise.

I don't know how I initially forgot about the pro-climate action stuff too. That's included in the review as well.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Pseudo-Pixar look of Civ games is annoying. Either it is a kid's game or it's out of place. Same goes for the graphics in new paradox games such as CK3 or Vic3.

It's a bit wokey in that it makes history look unserious thus more easily manipulated by those of ill intent (the developers of nu-civs and paradox).
Last edited by Irenaeus on April 13th, 2024, 12:47, edited 1 time in total.
TheEmptyRoad

Post by TheEmptyRoad »

All the other criticisms of Cyberpunk 2077 aside, I would object to calling it ‘Pro-Transhumanist’. If anything, it is the opposite. Multiple story missions, side missions, RipperDocs (the very guys who upgrade you with cyberware don’t for the most part use it themselves; And several of them point out the long-term harm it causes but stay in the business because of mercs like the main character) and the optional Cyberpsycho Boss Fights go out of their way to hammer home that ‘chroming up’ is not a good thing.

Cyberpunk as a genre I would say is the opposite of Transhumanist, it shows how dehumanizing Cyberware and the like can be.

As for the rest of the accusations of ‘woke’. Yeah, fair enough, though I personally choose to view it as evidence of this (frighteningly plausible) society’s level of moral decay and degeneracy.

Anywho, that’s my 2 cents on one of the criticisms of the game.
Last edited by TheEmptyRoad on April 14th, 2024, 09:31, edited 3 times in total.
Faceless_Sentinel

Post by Faceless_Sentinel »

TheEmptyRoad wrote: April 14th, 2024, 09:29
... I personally choose to view it as evidence of this (frighteningly plausible) society’s level of moral decay and degeneracy.
But writers and game world doesn't see it like this. I would argue that it sends opposite massage and all cyberpsyco stuff depicted as "oopsie".

Nothing in the game explores the problem of human, living human being, personality transformation into a tool, instrument that has less value than any factory produced tool or implant. All it going down to gameplay mechanic, where you have separate inventory with a slot witch you fill to get more of <stat_name> with no punishment.
Last edited by Faceless_Sentinel on April 14th, 2024, 10:26, edited 1 time in total.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Also, the fact the game makes augs and the cyberpunk hellscape look cool.

Compare how mechanically augmented humans are portrayed in Cyberpunk 2077 to the sad reality of Gunther and Navarre in Deus Ex, or what the society of Deus Ex is in comparison to the bright and fun theme park of Night City.

If Cyberpunk 2077 was meant to be a cautionary tale about a (cyberpunk) dystopia, then it failed utterly.
TheEmptyRoad wrote: April 14th, 2024, 09:29
As for the rest of the accusations of ‘woke’. Yeah, fair enough, though I personally choose to view it as evidence of this (frighteningly plausible) society’s level of moral decay and degeneracy.
It's horrifying to you, but to a leftist that is what they expect and demand society to look like.
Last edited by gerey on April 14th, 2024, 10:30, edited 1 time in total.
TheEmptyRoad

Post by TheEmptyRoad »

Faceless_Sentinel wrote: April 14th, 2024, 10:24
Nothing in the game explores the problem of human, living human being, personality transformation into a tool, instrument that has less value than any factory produced tool or implant. All it going down to gameplay mechanic, where you have separate inventory with a slot witch you fill to get more of <stat_name> with no punishment.
Multiple Cyberpsychos are war veterans with high-end experimental cyberware discarded after their service was up. Thrown away like so much trash.

Johnny Silverhand’s memories and personality were boxed into a futuretech USB and are now riding shotgun in your head. Used as an experimental tool and the only reason the game’s story takes place at all is because a bunch of hackers just wanted to use what’s left of him to contact an AI that used to be his girlfriend before she was brainfried using similar tech. Just another tool to be used.

The game is full of examples like this. These two were just off the top of my head.

As far as there being no consequences in gameplay; the game does punish you now for chroming up too much, putting a hard limit on how much cyberware you have unless you take a specific high level perk that mitigates it (Post 2.0 Gameplay Overhaul), though it’s functionally negligible if you specifically build around it.
Last edited by TheEmptyRoad on April 14th, 2024, 10:59, edited 1 time in total.
Faceless_Sentinel

Post by Faceless_Sentinel »

TheEmptyRoad wrote: April 14th, 2024, 10:59
Multiple Cyberpsychos are war veterans with high-end experimental cyberware discarded after their service was up. Thrown away like so much trash.

Johnny Silverhand’s memories and personality were boxed into a futuretech USB and are now riding shotgun in your head. Used as an experimental tool and the only reason the game’s story takes place at all is because a bunch of hackers just wanted to use what’s left of him to contact an AI that used to be his girlfriend before she was brainfried using similar tech. Just another tool to be used.

The game is full of examples like this. These two were just off the top of my head.

Still this:
Faceless_Sentinel wrote: April 14th, 2024, 10:24
But writers and game world doesn't see it like this. I would argue that it sends opposite massage and all cyberpsyco stuff depicted as "oopsie".
Because (look what woke left did to me, I'm quoting, agreeing and have more common with a person who has a Hitler on his avatar unironically, this fact makes me very fucking angry):
gerey wrote: April 14th, 2024, 10:28
Also, the fact the game makes augs and the cyberpunk hellscape look cool.

Compare how mechanically augmented humans are portrayed in Cyberpunk 2077 to the sad reality of Gunther and Navarre in Deus Ex, or what the society of Deus Ex is in comparison to the bright and fun theme park of Night City.

If Cyberpunk 2077 was meant to be a cautionary tale about a (cyberpunk) dystopia, then it failed utterly.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

gerey wrote: April 14th, 2024, 13:59
Faceless_Sentinel wrote: April 14th, 2024, 13:23
and have more common with a person who has a Hitler on his avatar unironically
There, there, a few more years of shitlib insanity and you'll start seeing things my way.
That's from that tranny Hoi4 mod right?
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Irenaeus wrote: April 14th, 2024, 14:02
Sorry for going off-topic, but it's actually from a series of photoshops the Allies made in 1945 depicting Hitler in various disguises, so the troops would recognize him in the case he attempted to escape.

EDIT: Upon further inspection, it could very well be as Irenaeus said, an edit of Hitler's portrait from HoI4.
Last edited by gerey on April 14th, 2024, 14:09, edited 1 time in total.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

gerey wrote: April 14th, 2024, 14:07
Irenaeus wrote: April 14th, 2024, 14:02
Sorry for going off-topic, but it's actually from a series of photoshops the Allies made in 1945 depicting Hitler in various disguises, so the troops would recognize him in the case he attempted to escape.

EDIT: Upon further inspection, it could very well be as Irenaeus said, an edit of Hitler's portrait from HoI4.
This is the mod I was referring to (59% of the modders are trannies):

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/fil ... 2204739234

On topic, the original Hoi4 is obviously very woke.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Irenaeus wrote: April 14th, 2024, 14:31
When you mentioned a HoI4 mod made by troons I thought you were talking about Brave New World.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

gerey wrote: April 14th, 2024, 14:42
Irenaeus wrote: April 14th, 2024, 14:31
When you mentioned a HoI4 mod made by troons I thought you were talking about Brave New World.
Oh yeah, that one too. That's definitely the craziest of the two - 100% trannyslop.

The New Order
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2438003901
Last edited by Irenaeus on April 14th, 2024, 14:48, edited 2 times in total.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

ClosetWizard wrote: April 13th, 2024, 07:38

Been a while since I was into the series, but wasn't there a shift at some point where they started giving "communism" a more idealistic perspective lessening the negatives to its application? This I think would also qualify as a woke change to the series.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

I'd argue everything Firaxis has produced since at least Beyond Earth has been woke. Beyond Earth had a lot of mystery meat and girlbosses among the leaders, XCOM 2 replaced a bunch of your support characters with women and niggers, and finally, Chimera Squad had you be buddy with the ayys instead of genociding them.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Wandering Sword and Zangetsu were two of the best games of 2023.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

gerey wrote: April 14th, 2024, 17:00
XCOM 2 replaced a bunch of your support characters with women and niggers
If I'm not mistaken, XCOM1 has a mulato/darkie military leader (lol), a woman scientist (lol^2) and a chinese engineer (lol^3).

Last edited by Irenaeus on April 14th, 2024, 22:08, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

@Furin
re: Rimworld

The creator seems to not be 'woke' and/or let it infect his game IMO. His statement here relies too much on factual data to be something I'd expect from a follower of said ideology:
Oyster Sauce wrote: March 20th, 2024, 18:15
Rimworld had a retarded controversy when some fag found this in the code

The creator responded

I don't know if this system ever saw drastic changes.

I'd post this on the Steam thread but I saw Steam's auto moderator seems to be heavily biased against external links.
Furin

Post by Furin »

@somerandomdude Thanks for the feedback!

I've added those three as recommended.

The list here is a little behind but I'll update it at some point today.
Furin

Post by Furin »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 14th, 2024, 22:26

The creator seems to not be 'woke' and/or let it infect his game IMO. His statement here relies too much on factual data to be something I'd expect from a follower of said ideology
Interesting. I'll look more into this. I had a bit of a debate with Kerghnax over in the Steam discussion about this game too.

His conclusion was some of the things I point out (such as the use of they/them pronouns to describe individual colonists) may just be a result of lazy game design. That being said, I'm of the mind that no matter the reason, the finished product should be observed for how it is.

Just as a general question, do you guys agree with my inclusion of pro-Transhumanism being a criteria for a game being Woke? I haven't seen anyone but the left promote it and a lot of the things the Trans people do to themselves looks a lot like Transhumanism in my opinion (ironic isn't it).
Last edited by Furin on April 14th, 2024, 23:47, edited 1 time in total.
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

Informational - Recommended

Only 2 genders, male and female, and they have different stats. However, there is a gender swap option near where you can change classes.

Not woke - Recommended

Last edited by somerandomdude on April 14th, 2024, 23:57, edited 2 times in total.