We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Woke Content Detector's Curated List of Games

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Furin wrote: April 14th, 2024, 23:32
rusty_shackleford wrote: April 14th, 2024, 22:26

The creator seems to not be 'woke' and/or let it infect his game IMO. His statement here relies too much on factual data to be something I'd expect from a follower of said ideology
Interesting. I'll look more into this. I had a bit of a debate with Kerghnax over in the Steam discussion about this game too.

His conclusion was some of the things I point out (such as the use of they/them pronouns to describe individual colonists) may just be a result of lazy game design. That being said, I'm of the mind that no matter the reason, the finished product should be observed for how it is.

Just as a general question, do you guys agree with my inclusion of pro-Transhumanism being a criteria for a game being Woke? I haven't seen anyone but the left promote it and a lot of the things the Trans people do to themselves looks a lot like Transhumanism in my opinion (ironic isn't it).
Regarding Rimworld specifically, the creator was originally Based, pro-Trump (I followed his twitter a long time ago) back in 2016. However, I think he's either softening his views for shitlibism or he's losing control of the company as every DLC/Expansion pushes the game further in the direction of Transhumanism. The last one released, for example:

Still, you can play the game as Christian crusader (guess how I play it) so it's up to the player.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Irenaeus wrote: April 15th, 2024, 00:03
so it's up to the player.
This should probably be an important consideration. Giving someone the choice to do something does not mean the game(or the developers) endorse said ideas. Many of the problems in CRPG-space come from developers renouncing this and therefore refusing to include ideas that they don't directly endorse. e.g., Avellone vs Nu-sidian,
Chris Avellone, Obsidian, 2010 wrote:
Players should be able to play an RPG the way they want, and they don’t need my moral judgments getting in the way of how they have fun. I also am not a fan of pre-determined attitudes and alignments for players-my hope is that at the end of the game, they’ve answered the question, “What kind of character am I really, and how did that depart from what I thought I would be?” I always considered Torment a sort of role-player’s experiment, where each incarnation of the Nameless One had the potential to be a different personality and a different type of gamer, depending on the choices he made in the game world. It’s echoed a bit in Alpha Protocol at the end of game with Leland, where he asks if you became the person you set out to be when you joined the agency, and it’s something I like to keep asking players when possible because moments of self-reflection never hurt.
Kate Dollarhyde, Obsidian, 2018 wrote:
There’s another interesting wrinkle to the conversation with Parvati, when she opens up. In most RPGs like The Outer Worlds, players are granted a wide range of responses to every situation. You can be nice, you can be an asshole, you can be indifferent. In this moment, when Parvati chooses to be vulnerable, the game explicitly limits your range of responses.
“I want that conversation to feel like a safe space for the players who are playing it and identify with it,” she said. “I don't want to pull the rug out from under them and say, ‘Haha, actually you're a joke,’ or ‘other people think you are a joke.’ [...] I don't want to write a homophobia simulator. [laughs] That's not what I got in the game writing for.”
Furin

Post by Furin »

somerandomdude wrote: April 14th, 2024, 23:50
Only 2 genders, male and female, and they have different stats. However, there is a gender swap option near where you can change classes.
Looks like there's also an achievement for utilizing this service.

Still, it's subtle enough that I'll add this game as informational.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 15th, 2024, 00:17
Kate Dollarhyde, Obsidian, 2018 wrote:
There’s another interesting wrinkle to the conversation with Parvati, when she opens up. In most RPGs like The Outer Worlds, players are granted a wide range of responses to every situation. You can be nice, you can be an asshole, you can be indifferent. In this moment, when Parvati chooses to be vulnerable, the game explicitly limits your range of responses.
“I want that conversation to feel like a safe space for the players who are playing it and identify with it,” she said. “I don't want to pull the rug out from under them and say, ‘Haha, actually you're a joke,’ or ‘other people think you are a joke.’ [...] I don't want to write a homophobia simulator. [laughs] That's not what I got in the game writing for.”
I had no idea who "Parvati" was (Pagliacci?) so I googled it and lo and behold wikipedia has a huge article about some obscure mystery meat videogame character:

Furin

Post by Furin »

@Falksi While researching a different game, I came across this in regards to Phantasy Star II:

"In the Japanese release of the game, Ustvestia is heavily implied to be gay; he will comment 'he looks cute' and charge half as much to teach male characters than female ones. In the American release he instead comments 'he looks smart' and still do [sic] the same."

As a result, Phantasy Star II has been updated to informational.
Last edited by Furin on April 15th, 2024, 03:53, edited 2 times in total.
A Chinese opium den

Post by A Chinese opium den »

Furin wrote: April 15th, 2024, 03:45
"In the Japanese release of the game, Ustvestia is heavily implied to be gay; he will comment 'he looks cute' and charge half as much to teach male characters than female ones. In the American release he instead comments 'he looks smart' and still do the same."
God bless America :salute:
BobT

Post by BobT »

Irenaeus wrote: April 14th, 2024, 21:58
gerey wrote: April 14th, 2024, 17:00
XCOM 2 replaced a bunch of your support characters with women and niggers
If I'm not mistaken, XCOM1 has a mulato/darkie military leader (lol), a woman scientist (lol^2) and a chinese engineer (lol^3).

Playing Devil's advocate here..
The military is FULL of mulatos.
The scientist is a biologist, the most popular science field with women.
The engineer is old and competent. (Though they replace him with his young female daughter in the second, grr). He doesn't speak or act like a chink, either.
I liked how those were all portrayed, and none of it felt like pandering or unearned. XCom is also a GLOBAL initiative so you're going to see a mix of races, too.
The setting and how it's portrayed is important.
Last edited by BobT on April 15th, 2024, 06:44, edited 1 time in total.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

BobT wrote: April 15th, 2024, 06:40
If I'm not mistaken, XCOM1 has a mulato/darkie military leader (lol), a woman scientist (lol^2) and a chinese engineer (lol^3).

why do you have to do this?
BobT

Post by BobT »

Irenaeus wrote: April 15th, 2024, 10:54

Coz Xcom 1 isn't bad, and that wasn't pandering. There's a big difference between that and what they do nowadays.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

BobT wrote: April 15th, 2024, 11:01

Coz Xcom 1 isn't bad, and that wasn't pandering.
Not going into the merits of the game, that was pandering and very woke. Every one of those characters would be a white man in a serious game. Your explanations are quite absurd.

PS: If that staff was the one to deal with an alien invasion in a realistic scenario, the competency crisis would lead to Earth being easily conquered.
Last edited by Irenaeus on April 15th, 2024, 11:07, edited 2 times in total.
BobT

Post by BobT »

Irenaeus wrote: April 15th, 2024, 11:06
BobT wrote: April 15th, 2024, 11:01

Coz Xcom 1 isn't bad, and that wasn't pandering.
Not going into the merits of the game, that was pandering and very woke. Every one of those characters would be a white man in a serious game. Your explanations are quite absurd.
Sure, a GLOBAL initiative that has literally every country on earth contributing to, would be fully white..

I'm all for that where it makes sense, but there's nothing in XCom to suggest a white-only cast. Nor were those character's races or gender's rubbed in the face. XCom2 was worse, but there was nothing wrong with Enemy Unknown.
Are you seriously trying to imply that female German Biologists and old Chinese engineers don't exist in large numbers? Nor that the American military TODAY is not full of mulattoes?

As to the competency crisis, maybe, but in that scenario they'd be sending the best of the best. Not your average chink engineer who makes buildings that fall down.
Last edited by BobT on April 15th, 2024, 11:13, edited 1 time in total.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

I'm not wasting my time arguing with a person defending a woke game.

Relations to BobT: -1
Last edited by Irenaeus on April 15th, 2024, 11:17, edited 1 time in total.
A Chinese opium den

Post by A Chinese opium den »

BobT wrote: April 15th, 2024, 11:11
Sure, a GLOBAL initiative that has literally every country on earth contributing to, would be fully white..
This but unironically.
BobT

Post by BobT »

Irenaeus wrote: April 15th, 2024, 11:16
I'm not wasting my time arguing with a person defending a woke game.
That game does not pander, nor is it "woke" for having a semi-mixed cast in a literal global contributory / planetary threat setting. Pick your battles better.

Regarding your mention of the competency crisis though, they did canonically lose, so fair enough there. :lol:
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

BobT wrote: April 15th, 2024, 11:20
Regarding your mention of the competency crisis though, they did canonically lose, so fair enough there. :lol:
Ok, I didn't know that. But if so, I blame it on the plainly incompetents (mulatos), the retarded lunatics (women) and the corrupt grifters (the chinese).
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Irenaeus wrote: April 15th, 2024, 11:24
Ok, I didn't know that. But if so, I blame it on the plainly incompetents (mulatos), the retarded lunatics (women) and the corrupt grifters (the chinese).
Wait... but you're.... (should I tell him??)
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Oyster Sauce wrote: April 15th, 2024, 11:29
Irenaeus wrote: April 15th, 2024, 11:24
Wait... but you're.... (should I tell him??)
I have zero African blood, even got a note from 23andme. I'm also not a buggy chink, and just touched my balls to check if I'm still not a woman.
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

Imagine buying a book on 'game design' from that idiot tynan of all things, guy is a complete hack. Early rimworld was fun when it was just a copy of dwarf fortress simulation. Every thing he added to the simulation from his own 'design' (ie combat) is a complete piece of shit. All his further brilliant ideas boil down to stupid random things (roll a dice, a billion enemies drop in the middle of your base). Guy should be shot.
kerghnox

Post by kerghnox »

asf wrote: April 15th, 2024, 14:47
Imagine buying a book on 'game design' from that idiot tynan of all things, guy is a complete hack. Early rimworld was fun when it was just a copy of dwarf fortress simulation. Every thing he added to the simulation from his own 'design' (ie combat) is a complete piece of shit. All his further brilliant ideas boil down to stupid random things (roll a dice, a billion enemies drop in the middle of your base). Guy should be shot.
The way he goes out his way nerf any strategy that helps you survive against raids is funny. The latest update adds Mechanoids emerging from water because his autism demands you MUST be raided from all directions. Best part is hardly anyone plays on water maps.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

kerghnox wrote: April 15th, 2024, 18:47
asf wrote: April 15th, 2024, 14:47
The way he goes out his way nerf any strategy that helps you survive against raids is funny. The latest update adds Mechanoids emerging from water because his autism demands you MUST be raided from all directions. Best part is hardly anyone plays on water maps.
Hell yeah, death to killboxes
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

If his moronic crusade against turtlers was the worst of it, game would actually be good. It has way worse core issues.
Nooneatall

Post by Nooneatall »

asf wrote: April 15th, 2024, 19:53
If his moronic crusade against turtlers was the worst of it, game would actually be good. It has way worse core issues.
I don't know why I can't just play the sandbox game the way I want. The ability to ship updates easily was a mistake
Manny V

Post by Manny V »

The military is FULL of mulatos.
The scientist is a biologist, the most popular science field with women.
The engineer is old and competent. (Though they replace him with his young female daughter in the second, grr). He doesn't speak or act like a chink, either.
I liked how those were all portrayed, and none of it felt like pandering or unearned. XCom is also a GLOBAL initiative so you're going to see a mix of races, too.
The setting and how it's portrayed is important.
ye agree, while you could argue it's semi woke for having a woman and chink in charge of departments it clearly wasn't in your face about it
vahlen could arguably just be the spokesperson of the scientists, and shen, while a chink, is a fairly believable character.

idk where irenaeus got the idea that bradford is a mulatto, he's clearly white lol

Enemy Unknown is a good game fairly untouched by the wokeism (yes you can have female soldiers but you can also just not recruit any, and besides that the only other thing was the DLC that added random 'special' woman and chinese dude, which once again, you could just not use them)

XCOM 2 on the other hand, god so much cringe

nigger scientist that worked for the aliens, obnoxious marvel-esque chink chick with a horrible american accent as your 'quirky engineer girl', fucking snake women were thin men the whole time (give me a fucking break), muton berserkers(yknow, the fuckin hulking wall of muscle) are all female, the ethereals with weird women voices, and don't get me fucking started on the War of the Chosen DLC

overall the tone of XCOM 2 is shit too, from cool alien invasion game where you use the best of the best to fend off this threat to 'le ebic guerrila warfare where we fight BACK against our OPPRESSORS!!!!' CUE STOCK EPIC MUSIC!
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Manny V wrote: April 16th, 2024, 05:52
ye agree, while you could argue it's semi woke for having a woman and chink in charge of departments it clearly wasn't in your face about it
vahlen could arguably just be the spokesperson of the scientists, and shen, while a chink, is a fairly believable character.

idk where irenaeus got the idea that bradford is a mulatto, he's clearly white lol
I see you're not familiar with mulatos or chinks. The game presents the retarded woman as some kind of genius, not a secretary of the real scientists.

It was all in my face about it and I hated it so much that I stopped playing the game which was also boring except for managing a crew of soldiers.

PS: Never played XCOM2
Last edited by Irenaeus on April 16th, 2024, 12:20, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Since it's not on Steam, I'll mention it here:
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora, the 2023 game, is anti-human and indirectly anti-European. You're forced to play as the blue aliens and kill humans. Obviously, just as with the movie, the aliens are standins for native-whatevers and the corporation humans are the evil european colonizers.
Humorously, it's also not woke enough for libtards.
https://www.polygon.com/23989885/avatar ... lease-date
In developer Massive Entertainment’s hands, it’s all still a direct extension of Cameron’s original perspective. But despite the latter’s philanthropy and investments in environmental causes, Avatar was still born from a distinctly white, wealthy, western framework that revolves around an awkward core of postcolonial guilt. Twenty hours in, and Frontiers of Pandora is more or less a Na’vi cultural immersion program with lackluster political cosplay and the conversational mouthfeel of a Ted Lasso episode. The comfort and beauty of Avatar is really in how it lets people work through settler guilt through the fictional safety of blue alien skin.
They admit it's a struggle session for whites, but simply don't think it's enough punishment for what they deserve.

Worth noting that the original(not the new 2023 game) movie tie-in game did let you play as the humans:
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on April 19th, 2024, 12:05, edited 3 times in total.
Eyestabber
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Eyestabber »

Irenaeus wrote: April 15th, 2024, 11:06
the competency crisis would lead to Earth being easily conquered.
Which is exactly what happened :parrot:
Furin

Post by Furin »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 19th, 2024, 12:01
Since it's not on Steam, I'll mention it here:
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora, the 2023 game, is anti-human and indirectly anti-European. You're forced to play as the blue aliens and kill humans.
Thanks! I've added this game as not recommended.

I may not be able to add non-Steam games to the curator but I'll still add them to the list here and in the Steam discussion thread when they're suggested.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

I think this game promotes LGBTHQ but I haven't played it myself. Maybe @Tweed can tell you more.