We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

King Arthur:Knight's Tale - Verdict? HQ or ShitQ?

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Boontaker

Post by Boontaker »

Time for a 2nd playthrough to get me to Friday! Just when the despair was setting in.
Eyestabber
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Eyestabber »

I started a new campaign of this game yesterday, this time as Tyrant-Christian. Game is just as fun as I remember and the only mod I would recommend is the icons mod (https://www.nexusmods.com/kingarthurkni ... escription).
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Eyestabber wrote: December 5th, 2023, 13:09
I started a new campaign of this game yesterday, this time as Tyrant-Christian. Game is just as fun as I remember and the only mod I would recommend is the icons mod (https://www.nexusmods.com/kingarthurkni ... escription).

Purely from art style alone, I prefer the one on the left. Right looks like typical digital art crap.
But the actual content… did the guy who generated the image not even look at the bow? The string is going behind her back. The bow itself is in completely different angles.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on December 5th, 2023, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.
Eyestabber
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Eyestabber »

I agree it looks like crap, but in my game that portrait was not replaced, maybe 2.0 broke something in that mod. What matters to me are mostly the AP colors that make the bar much more readable.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

Also, the hand guard is not protecting the fingers. This is AI generated, most likely.
Sweeper

Post by Sweeper »

Left looks like a weird androgynous twinkoid who just started taking his estrogen shots or whatever the fuck.
Chick on the right is hotter.
Y'all are gay and/or autistic, is what I'm saying.
Last edited by Sweeper on December 5th, 2023, 21:20, edited 1 time in total.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

Sweeper wrote: December 5th, 2023, 21:19
Left looks like a weird androgynous twinkoid who just started taking his estrogen shots or whatever the fuck.
Chick on the right is hotter.
Y'all are gay and/or autistic, is what I'm saying.
This but the other way around
Sweeper

Post by Sweeper »

Man you better ain't be implying I'm gay and/or autistic. Imma beat yo monkey ayy boy.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

This felt too long. Maybe the combat gets more interesting later, but I never made it that far
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

J1M wrote: December 5th, 2023, 21:30
This felt too long. Maybe the combat gets more interesting later, but I never made it that far
There are basically 5 types of enemies. But the scenarios and encounter design is where it's at.

I recommend that you give it another chance. :)
Eyestabber
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Eyestabber »

I was "debating" (with myself) that point yesterday. A person who isn't particularly invested in the game may very well walk away with the impression that the combat is simplistic. That happens because you will only unlock your full arsenal of options in Act 2. It's also in Act 2 that you start facing dedicated mage enemies, as opposed to "that one thug has a magicool gimmick". OTOH I think a person that gets hooked by the game right away will feel like the game did a decent job easing you into its rather complex mechanics. Also worth noting you get a total of ZERO sages before act 2 and MOST act 2 companions are very "standard". You only get the real niche/unique knights in act 3, and IMO that makes them more memorable. I think if you got to play around with Morgana/Mommy/Merlin/Faerie Knight/GallaCHAD and even Mordred-with-magic you would quickly shift your perspective of the game's combat, BUT that only happen several hours into the playthrough.

So maybe Todd really is a visionary and giving Power Armor and a Minigun straight away keeps players more invested? Who knows. :headbang:
Boontaker

Post by Boontaker »

Christians have the coolest dialog in this game, old ways are soy drinkers

"Sinners shall bleed!"
Eyestabber
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Eyestabber »

Welp, defeated Arthur on Very Hard for the third time. Christian Tyrant went from being "Why would you do that to yourself?" to a very good alignment choice in 2.0. Balin got GIGA BUFFED and Ector's rework made him much more valuable. On top of that the CT cornerstone "Concession" is now VERY frigging good, a contender for best decree in the game.

Now it's time to see if the post endgame content is any good. But I'll say 2.0 did improve the game (tho some heroes are now in a much worse spot) and it warrants a new playthrough.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

rusty_shackleford wrote: November 29th, 2023, 00:26
Expansion announced. I recall(? misremembering?) them stating that there wouldn't be any DLC, so it must have continued to sell well enough to warrant it.
Are the cool undead romans playable?
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

They will be in the DLC, it's about the Ninth Legion.
Players will experience the Roman campaign through the eyes of a tribune of the Ninth Legion, who has been tasked with locating and launching an assault on Avalon - leading an elite team of daemon legionnaires.
Last edited by Acrux on December 17th, 2023, 22:33, edited 1 time in total.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

This is every game over 8 hours. I have more time on my hands than ever before, but games, like women, are mistaken if they think they deserve more than a few hours attention.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

So-called "games" under 80 hours should be required by law to be called demos.
Eyestabber
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Eyestabber »

maidenhaver wrote: December 18th, 2023, 00:27
This is every game over 8 hours. I have more time on my hands than ever before, but games, like women, are mistaken if they think they deserve more than a few hours attention.
So X-Com, JA2, pretty much every 4x etc are all bad games? This makes zero sense, you're complaining about getting too much value for your money.
Vergil wrote: December 17th, 2023, 22:29
Expansion announced. I recall(? misremembering?) them stating that there wouldn't be any DLC, so it must have continued to sell well enough to warrant it.
Yes, and if you go into C:\[steam path]\steamapps\common\King Arthur Knight's Tale\UI\SoldierImages you can see their portraits. Interestingly enough, the IX Legion is the same that raped Lady B's daughters and had her imprisoned in her nightmare.

EDIT: Also, this game has a grand total of ZERO niggers. In case you didn't know.
Last edited by Eyestabber on December 18th, 2023, 12:45, edited 1 time in total.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

Eyestabber was last seen in #rpghq 1 week, 3 days, 10 hours, 39 minutes, and 34 seconds ago
Get yo ass back to the IRC, ocular poker.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Eyestabber wrote: December 18th, 2023, 11:33
Interestingly enough,
► Show Spoiler
Hey hey I already said I was in no need to sell me on the game further.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

So X-Com, JA2, pretty much every 4x etc are all bad games? This makes zero sense, you're complaining about getting too much value for your money.
Yes, and if you go into C:\[steam path]\steamapps\common\King Arthur Knight's Tale\UI\SoldierImages you can see their portraits. Interestingly enough, the IX Legion is the same that raped Lady B's daughters and had her imprisoned in her nightmare.

EDIT: Also, this game has a grand total of ZERO niggers. In case you didn't know.
If your game doesn't move on or end after 8 hrs, it is bad.
A Chinese opium den

Post by A Chinese opium den »

maidenhaver wrote: December 18th, 2023, 17:34

If your game doesn't move on or end after 8 hrs, it is bad.
If your video doesnt have family guy and subway surfers playing muted in the bottom left corner its not worth watching
Eyestabber
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Eyestabber »

After six years of completely forgetting I even had a YT channel somewhere, I made this video. This is King Bres, one of the new bosses that you can fight AFTER beating Arthur, as part of the Season 2 challenges. I beat his ass in a single turn on VH. Poor guy couldn't even move. It was fun. =D
Eyestabber
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Eyestabber »

The DLC has its own store page now. I wonder if Lost mechanics will work in our favor now (like resurrecting after 3 turns). Screenshots look nice.

Post by 1998 »

It doesn't seem to be a DLC. at least you won't require the base game.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

@Kalarion You can resurrect Isolde after you find her remains using the standard way to resurrect units.

Post by 1998 »

New update:

Is this an expansion or a standalone game?
King Arthur: Legion IX expands the world of our previous game, King Arthur: Knight's Tale. However, we wanted to welcome more new players to the dark fantasy land of Avalon, so it will be released as a standalone game. This new campaign is a completely separate experience and doesn't connect to the progression of Knight's Tale. It does build upon its location and style of gameplay, however. We hope to reach new players who are interested in the adventures of this unique undead Roman legion.

How much will it cost?
Legion IX will release at $19.99.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/273983 ... 3017220937

Considering the price, it will be likely much shorter, which is probably not a bad thing.