We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

April: Legends of Amberland: The Forgotten Crown

Participate in a new RPG each month with other members of the HQ
Anon

Post by Anon »

I liked that I saw enemies using their specials more often, but other than that them being massive hit sponges SUCK.
Rand wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 01:18
WhiteShark wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 01:16
Anon wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 01:12
Okay insane mode is being a miserable experience so far. Cleaning the ogre forts and dealing with these lovely halberdiers.
I don't think there's any point in choosing Insane in a game like this. Fights are basically just a stat check and putting it on Insane just raises the threshold.
Plus it makes things ridiculously expensive.
True but I wasn't minding that much since in RPGs money tend to be overly abundant anyways.

As for paralysis, is the only way of dealing with it having gear that makes you immune prior to the fight?
Last edited by Anon on April 3rd, 2024, 01:25, edited 2 times in total.

Tags:
Rand

Post by Rand »

I did both games on Normal with:
Healer --- Archer --- Warrior --- Knight --- Warrior --- Bard --- Wizard
With no real difficulty.
Archer is not essential, replace with whatever you like. The others are very useful.

Should also work fine for hard, no problem.

On Normal, I didn't bother much with the specialty classes.
May be that one or two are more useful on hard.
More healing power would be useful for sure.
And hard or higher is where a Battlesmith dwarf ranger shines.
Last edited by Rand on April 3rd, 2024, 01:40, edited 2 times in total.
Rand

Post by Rand »

Anon wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 01:22
As for paralysis, is the only way of dealing with it having gear that makes you immune prior to the fight?
I forget if it's in the first one, but you can magically deal with it with a spell or ability in the second game for sure.
Yeah, it's a healer spell in "The Forgotten Crown":
Last edited by Rand on April 3rd, 2024, 01:37, edited 3 times in total.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Healers get a Cure Paralysis spell at level 10. Spell list here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1695495199
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Only thing I dislike so far is I wish the automapper was more generous of empty tiles you can see
Anon

Post by Anon »

dungeon crawler experience there also feels atrocious btw
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Rand wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 01:16
I already did this game and the sequel and posted a quick review.

Damn, I forgot to go back and spice it up and add some more pictures of what I was talking about...
Yes, please do! (Not the least of reasons being so that it's following our review guidelines.)
rusty_shackleford wrote: April 26th, 2023, 04:03
RPGHQ Game Review Guidelines
  1. Reviews should be written in complete sentences and paragraph structure. A review of only bullet points will not be accepted.
  2. RPGHQ reviews are not impressions. A write-up based on a brief experience with the game is fine for posts elsewhere, but not for reviews in this section.
  3. Reviews should be of the full game. That is, the reviewer should have completed the game at least once—or have strong reasons for why he did not complete the game and mention those in the review.
  4. Reviews should cover all major aspects of the game, both aesthetic and mechanical. Gameplay and rules are important to mention, but noteworthy aspects of the art, sound, and music should be included, too.
  5. Screenshots are strongly encouraged. Not only do they give readers context, they are also useful for breaking up sections of the review. Some users have said they won’t read reviews without images, so keep that in mind.
  6. Reviews should be written by a human, not AI. Using AI for editing is fine.
New reviews go in the Review Approval Area. You will receive feedback from the @Game Review Reviewers who will move your review to the review forum after reviewing your review.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Gameplay and story integration: Craftsmen have been kidnapped, and the more you free the better the items at shops are. Well done!

Critique: Weapons with the same stats are identical, there's no reason for e.g., a 'flail' and a 'longsword' to exist, they're functionally identical. There's no damage types.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on April 3rd, 2024, 05:00, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

WhiteShark wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 01:30
Healers get a Cure Paralysis spell at level 10. Spell list here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1695495199
cheater
SpellSword

Post by SpellSword »

Just finished both ogre forts. So far I've managed to limp along until it is time to level up and use that to refill the HP/MP of the entire party instead of resting. The encumbrance limits on the warriors has me wondering if a knight wouldn't have made a more defensive leader but I'm happy with the damage output so no regrets.
SpellSword

Post by SpellSword »

Finished clearing the desert and now I'm chipping away at the Black Hearts knights in the Dark Castle.
Welcome. :salute:
Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

True but I wasn't minding that much since in RPGs money tend to be overly abundant anyways.

If you're playing on Insane be wary. Prices skyrocket (as @Rand already pointed out), and money gets tight, especially if you're having to revive often (this cannot be avoided later on Hard+, monsters will one-shot your front lines sometimes, there's not much you can do about it).
Rand wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 01:26
Should also work fine for hard, no problem.

On Normal, I didn't bother much with the specialty classes.
May be that one or two are more useful on hard.
This I disagree with though. The party will be ok on Hard. But on hard+, hybrid classes get worse, not better. They don't do enough damage, and they don't bring enough utility to the table to make up for the loss of ability to kill monsters quicker. Unique buffs should theoretically have made up for this, but they're not good enough, especially because their bonuses are tacked on additively, rather than being multiplicative. Sharpness is the big offender here.

Bards are the only hybrids that do well on Insane, due to having access to Power Heal and Heroic Ballad (not Heroic Inspiration as I said earlier, my bad). Remember, monsters in the mid and late game can one-shot your entire frontline with crits. So having the ability to stay alive 50% of the time is a huge bonus that makes bringing Bards worth it. And being able to cheaply remove fear for all party members is great all the way through, especially because fear immunity gear isn't all that great by late game.
Anon

Post by Anon »

Kalarion wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 12:44

If you're playing on Insane be wary. Prices skyrocket (as @Rand already pointed out), and money gets tight, especially if you're having to revive often (this cannot be avoided later on Hard+, monsters will one-shot your front lines sometimes, there's not much you can do about it).
Yeah I've seen that happening. My workaround for that is going into a fight, using healer's special ability that lets you revive your entire party with 1 hp then flee (apparently flee works 100% of the time), then you just need to full rest and it's good as new. If I was a true gamer I could have a goblin live at the starting area then just run back there whenever needed to farm this trick.

But yeah I've changed to insane because I killed the troll guarding the bridge with a lvl 1 party so I thought maybe the game was too easy, but later on it shows the difference (especially the enemies being huge HP sponges so fights take reeeeally long which begins making the experience miserable). The game is certainly meant to be played either on normal or hard.
Last edited by Anon on April 3rd, 2024, 14:24, edited 3 times in total.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

One thing I noticed about difficulties is that if you know the system well (ie read the manual, and put thought into the balance and design of your party), normal becomes a bit too easy. I found myself pushing through areas and killing bosses before what I think was the intended level range for them, having never had to flee or have a party wipe (or have a member die for that matter, though some came close).

So for those who put time into such, you might want to move the difficulty up a notch if you are starting.
Last edited by Xenich on April 3rd, 2024, 15:59, edited 1 time in total.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Finally have power heal. Feels good to be able to fully heal one of my dwarf warriors in a single action. :bounce:
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

My last save is four years old, what are the 3 ancient orbs about, who am I finding the forgotten Crown for?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

maidenhaver wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 16:11
My last save is four years old, what are the 3 ancient orbs about, who am I finding the forgotten Crown for?
Might not be a bad idea to start over.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

maidenhaver wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 16:11
The Royal Wizard tasked you with both of those. He's in The Royal Castle on the west side of the map.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 16:03
This game really scratches that World of Xeen itch.
Agreed, but I would like to see more of the mechanics featured in it (ie ranged mechanic, searching, etc...), though this is a great start and I imagine continued games will open up new mechanics and features.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Xenich wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 17:02
rusty_shackleford wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 16:03
This game really scratches that World of Xeen itch.
Agreed, but I would like to see more of the mechanics featured in it (ie ranged mechanic, searching, etc...), though this is a great start and I imagine continued games will open up new mechanics and features.
The sequel adds some of that (ranged combat, skills, etc.). I like it better overall, but I do like the menu-based cities better.
Watser
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Watser »

Alright MEN
Here's my posse of merry strapping young laddy MEN to scour the lands of riches and bitches.
Listed based on formation from left to right

Maidenhaver highborn half elf wizard
Whiteshark grey elf healer
Kalarion mountain dwarf warrior
Acrux highlander human knight
Watser ashen dwarf battlesmith
Rusty eartlander human troubadour
Spellsword heartlander human wizard
Anon

Post by Anon »

Btw I'm doing another run in hard difficulty with the following party

Grey elf healer
Highlander troubadour
Ashen dwarf warrior
Mountain dwarf knight
Frost dwarf battlesmith
Highlander ranger
High elf sage

I'm varying classes and races (having highlander twice was an oversight btw) just so I can have a good opinion on most of them, as I'm most likely not replaying the game (apparently monsters and quests are always the same, so no motivation to do so). I'm going with this party until I finish the game, and this is my 3rd and last restart.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Party was Mountain Dwarf Warrior x5, Grey Elf Bard, Grey Elf Healer.

Impressions below. Story spoilers are ispoilered within, but I stuck the whole thing in regular spoiler tags in case you want to beat the game before reading.
► Impressions
@rusty_shackleford, I demand a shiny new badge.
Rand

Post by Rand »

Kalarion wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 12:44
But on hard+, hybrid classes get worse, not better. They don't do enough damage, and they don't bring enough utility to the table to make up for the loss of ability to kill monsters quicker. Unique buffs should theoretically have made up for this, but they're not good enough, especially because their bonuses are tacked on additively, rather than being multiplicative. Sharpness is the big offender here.
You don't think a Dwarven Battlesmith is worth it?
Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

Rand wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 22:21
You don't think a Dwarven Battlesmith is worth it?
I don't. TLDR; the buffs are deceptively bad, and his individual damage is paltry compared to true Fighters.

The partywide +.1 to physical damage multiplier (not an actual multiplicative x10% as the spell description would have you believe) is paltry on Hard+, and bringing along another Warrior to wail on a mob for hundreds of damage in the Battlesmith's place (remember, Battlesmiths suffer a massive opportunity cost in terms of individual damage, due to receiving a far smaller damage per level scale) simply makes more sense. The armor buff is a decent complement to the Wizard's armor buff early game, but after that it's negligible. In exchange they get access to some fire DDs that they will in practice never make use of, due to all their mana going to buff casts. If you focus on a Battlesmith's Knowledge/Willpower to scale his spellcasting, he'll be even worse as a fighter and need to be in the rear/flanks - in which case, you might as well just have brought another Wizard.

My takeaway from the hybrids, and especially the racial unique classes, is: very very cool idea and the execution goes in the right direction, but falls far short of the mark in terms of usefulness/power/balance. Racial classes pay heavily for their perks, and the perks themselves just aren't worth what's lost.

My sole possible exception is the Sage. Sage gets access to all Wizard nukes, and a second nuker is very nice in many situations. Along with this they get Mass Power Heal and some buffs. But it's a tough road to get there, and I don't believe they get Power Heal, so you're banking on a very late game before they really come into their own.

My first win had a Battlesmith, and he just never pulled his weight. He was a subpar fighter who struggled to get the mana necessary to cast his buffs.
Anon

Post by Anon »

Is there any way to truly dispose of the items that I collect? I suppose I can't sell them, so the useless junk is getting deposited in the inn but it's still annoying to deal with.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Anon wrote: April 4th, 2024, 01:09
Is there any way to truly dispose of the items that I collect? I suppose I can't sell them, so the useless junk is getting deposited in the inn but it's still annoying to deal with.
You can sell items. Open the regular shop, then click the button at the top right.