We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Best performing games of the past 5 years

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Best performing games of the past 5 years

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Nearly all games that release run like absolute shit now. Therefore,
What are the games — available on PC — that have the best performance(as in frame-rate) made in the last 5 years? The games must be visually impressive from a technical standpoint: high graphical fidelity, not art style.
I have a feeling one of those late-era PS4 PlayStation ports PC has received is probably going to win this, as they tend to be incredibly well optimized.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on April 1st, 2024, 01:36, edited 1 time in total.
herkzter

Post by herkzter »

the system shock 1 remake is really well optimized although that's probably because it's set in a space station - thus being basically a corridor imsim
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

The DOOM (2016 and Eternal) are very well optimized, as far as I know. I also thought the 2017 Prey looked very well.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

Death Stranding?
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

MGSV looks better and plays smoother than half the games that come out now and can run on a toaster.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

Vergil wrote: April 1st, 2024, 02:03
MGSV looks better and plays smoother than half the games that come out now and can run on a toaster.
2015 was I'm afraid it has been 9 years ago, grandpa
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Segata Sanshiro wrote: April 1st, 2024, 02:04
2015 was I'm afraid it has been 9 years ago, grandpa
You expect me to be able to fully read titles without an AI voice reading it back and subway surfers on the side I'm retarded
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

the benefits of an empty open world
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

I heard Atomic Heart had a good optimization, though the devs had to cancel RTX implementation shortly before releasing the game.

The last few Resident Evil games could've been listed, except they all had Denuvo. Personally I didn't notice any issues, but I read a lot of complaints about random stutters that disappeared completely once Capcom removed DRM with a patch.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 1st, 2024, 01:36
Nearly all games that release run like absolute shit now. Therefore,
What are the games — available on PC — that have the best performance(as in frame-rate) made in the last 5 years? The games must be visually impressive from a technical standpoint: high graphical fidelity, not art style.
I have a feeling one of those late-era PS4 PlayStation ports PC has received is probably going to win this, as they tend to be incredibly well optimized.
wew, coming in at just under 5 years old... Gears of War 5.

Looks phenomenal and runs like a dream. Also runs on a potato as well while still looking good. Troon studio and troon game series now (RIP Gears) but no one can fault their mastery of the Unreal Engine. Bar none the best running UE games are Gears 4 and 5 on PC. They look amazing and run perfect.

EDIT: Days Gone PC port also looks and runs phenomenal, also an UE game, coincidentally. I thought for a sec it was a propietary engine but no, it's UE4. Days Gone looks great and runs fantastic, zero hiccups or stuters or weird frame drops of any kind, it just works.
Last edited by aweigh on April 1st, 2024, 03:34, edited 2 times in total.
Rand

Post by Rand »

Days Gone was a bad Sony port on release but they fixed it and I only had one visual artifact in my full playthrough.