We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Browsers and search engines

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that
Faceless_Sentinel

Browsers and search engines

Post by Faceless_Sentinel »

Hello everybody!

Finally decided to move away from google and google chrome. Need your recommendation for search engines and browser (I'm aiming to Firefox, but maybe you know something better). I need recommendations both for browser and search engine.
Last edited by Faceless_Sentinel on March 31st, 2024, 19:55, edited 1 time in total.
TKVNC

Post by TKVNC »

Browser Firefox is the best. Search Engine, Google for 90% of shit, since it's still pretty efficient. I use Duckduckgo to get shit Google blocks. Other kids here might have better ideas though.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

Librewolf and SearX is what I use
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

What are your thoughts on startpage.com?
TheCumGuzzler

Post by TheCumGuzzler »

I use Firefox and DuckDuckGo since Google's search quality has declined, they now display anything that will get you to buy something first and actual results later, although Google is still better sometimes I would rather just use something that I know is not run entirely by Jews
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Faceless_Sentinel wrote: March 31st, 2024, 19:52
Hello everybody!

Finally decided to move away from google and google chrome. Need your recommendation for search engines and browser (I'm aiming to Firefox, but maybe you know something better). I need recommendations both for browser and search engine.
https://metager.org

Limited though in some options.

That is, while it is great for unlimited results in general searches and I think the science searches, image/news searching is pay walled.

Still better than the numerous engines out there that only give you a few pages of the repeated AI search narratives.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

TheCumGuzzler wrote: March 31st, 2024, 20:02
I use Firefox and DuckDuckGo since Google's search quality has declined, they now display anything that will get you to buy something first and actual results later, although Google is still better sometimes I would rather just use something that I know is not run entirely by Jews
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

I'd like to use Brave on desktop, but I can't be bothered to move my Firefox addons over. I do use it on my phone though.
I've tried DuckDuckGo, Brave Search, and Yandex but always come back to Google even though it's constantly getting worse. With Yandex I couldn't figure out how to filter out the Russian results so I may just be retarded.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 31st, 2024, 20:08
aka we are going to get rid of all searches we don't like, then spam you with reoccurring narratives of the same basic links, then wall off continued searching after a while so you never find anything we don't want you to.
Kowe

Post by Kowe »

Using Waterfox as browser. Fork of Firefox. Haven't checked on their position of privacy in quite some time, but add-ons like UBlockOrigin, Privacy Badger, can be installed.
Startpage and Swisscows as search engines. Can recommend SearX though, have used it for months before. Swisscows also has a family friendly filter by default. Mind you, given Startpage is from Germany, Swisscows from Switzerland, they are under their respective law. SearX is better there with all its instances.
Yandex is also pretty good from the handful of times I used it. Not as ridden with all the agenda trash from the other, conventional engines.
Last edited by Kowe on March 31st, 2024, 20:51, edited 1 time in total.
TheCumGuzzler

Post by TheCumGuzzler »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 31st, 2024, 20:08
Fuck I take it back
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Hello everybody!

Switched to Brave around January and am still kicking myself for not switching sooner. Just try it out and you'll see. For search engine, I use yandex if its something of non-mundane nature, and google for everything else. Have yet to find anything with a good algo for searches akin to old google.
Anon

Post by Anon »

Nammu Archag wrote: March 31st, 2024, 23:37
Hello everybody!

Switched to Brave around January and am still kicking myself for not switching sooner. Just try it out and you'll see. For search engine, I use yandex if its something of non-mundane nature, and google for everything else. Have yet to find anything with a good algo for searches akin to old google.
AI seem to give semi-satisfactory results for overall info but also not ideal as they're also progressively curating the info.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Hello everybody!

DuckDuckGo fucking sucks someone here said it's perfect for uselessly searching before accepting defeat and opening google search to get better results and it's all I can think about now because it's so true.
Statesman

Post by Statesman »

Modified Firefox/Librewolf (lazier)/r3dfox (Win8.1/7/Vista/XP) for desktop are still king. Brave is great for mobile (or a Chromium-based backup for desktop). Can't really decide on a search engine though, they all suck for either results or usability. I'd use Yandex if they didn't ask for 20 captchas every 1-2 searches. Searx depends on the instance and at that point, you might as well run your own :notsureif:
Kowe wrote: March 31st, 2024, 20:50
Using Waterfox as browser. Fork of Firefox. Haven't checked on their position of privacy in quite some time, but add-ons like UBlockOrigin, Privacy Badger, can be installed.
Waterfox was bought by an ad-company and then somehow said company let them go...for some reason. According to the OG dev, they are now "private/independent" again. I'd care to dig in more but better Firefox forks exist and outside their shady history, they don't have anything else to stand out from the pack.
Faceless_Sentinel

Post by Faceless_Sentinel »

Is searx work with other languages, except english?
StudiedAsleep

Post by StudiedAsleep »

They all display the same garbage tbh. Kagi gave some different results but difference is neglible compared to Google and DuckDuckGo.
Last edited by StudiedAsleep on April 10th, 2024, 16:19, edited 1 time in total.