We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Junior Adventurer's Guild - April: Alpha Protocol

Participate in a new RPG each month with other members of the HQ
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Tweed wrote: March 30th, 2024, 22:35
I'm sure it's hilariously bad just like the single player experience.
Laughter is the best medicine :D
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

Anon wrote: March 30th, 2024, 22:37
Inb4 this is all a 1st april joke and we'll only have yet another MSDOS game as the sole option
sounds like a better idea than these games in this poll
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

I've never played DA:O so hoping it comes through
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Deus Ex, Dragon Age, Fallout, KOTOR, Oblivion, and VTMB seem a bit too popular/normalfag tier to me for something like this.
TheCumGuzzler

Post by TheCumGuzzler »

How good is Drakensang online for anyone who played it? looking at it made me interested
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Oh shit, DA:O with the unexpected surge. Two Worlds gamers we can't let it end like this...
In case it isn't clear, you can vote for 2 games.
Last edited by Oyster Sauce on March 30th, 2024, 23:32, edited 2 times in total.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Geneforge (2001)
does the remake count, or the original only?
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

i literally just uninstalled Alpha Protocol because it sucks so I voted for Two Worlds.

Why didn't i vote for FF3 or Xenogears? I've already played both to death.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

Anachronox might be a good one. I never did finish it.
SpellSword

Post by SpellSword »

Anon wrote: March 30th, 2024, 22:37
Inb4 this is all a 1st april joke and we'll only have yet another MSDOS game as the sole option
► Would that really be such a bad thing...
Last edited by SpellSword on March 31st, 2024, 07:36, edited 1 time in total.
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

Vergil wrote: March 30th, 2024, 22:55
Deus Ex, Dragon Age, Fallout, KOTOR, Oblivion, and VTMB seem a bit too popular/normalfag tier to me for something like this.
And to prove it: I've played all of those.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

wndrbr wrote: March 31st, 2024, 05:49
Geneforge (2001)
does the remake count, or the original only?
Remakes/modded versions count, it's just for funsies.
Gregz
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gregz »

Oyster Sauce wrote: March 29th, 2024, 02:28
This is the Kidz Klub version of The Adventurer's Guild. The goal is to get people playing more recent classics
^ This is a good idea. A middle ground that allows the forum to suggest forgotten classics that we may not have played in quite a white (or ever). In the future, I would suggest allowing 3 votes in order to get a better distribution though.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

I think a separate thread where people can suggest which games to play in future months would be welcome. The current selection is fine, but it's mostly "famous" games. I'm sure there's plenty of obscure titles out there.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

gerey wrote: March 31st, 2024, 14:01
I think a separate thread where people can suggest which games to play in future months would be welcome. The current selection is fine, but it's mostly "famous" games. I'm sure there's plenty of obscure titles out there.
You can suggest them here
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Bound by Flame and Mars: Wars Logs - somewhat janky cRPGs by Spiders, developers of Greedfall.

Strife, "immersive sim" based on the Doom engine. It's not really an RPG, nor an actual imsim, but I think it's worth taking a look.

Uplink can be considered an RPG if we stretch the definition a bit. It has stats (server hardware), main and side quests, an open world etc.

Arx Fatalis - pretty neat Ultima Underworld spiritual successors by the same devs as Dark Messiah. And on that topic, Ultima Underworld 1 and 2. They're not that much older than System Shock, and IIRC all three games were made on the same engine and share many similarities.

The Shadowrun trilogy of games. The first one is fairly short.

Obvious choice, but would Quest for Glory franchise, along with the various spiritual sequels (Heroine Quest, Quest for Infamy etc.) also count?

And yes, most of these aren't exactly that obscure.

What would be the cutoff date for a suggestion's release?

EDIT: A few more:

Two official expansions/mods for M&B Warband - With Fire and Sword and Viking Conquest.

Way of the Samurai 1, 2, 3, 4 - not really RPGs, but almost unrivalled in terms of nonlinearity. They're not particularly long games, but there's a lot of choices and different endings to take.

Expeditions: Conquistador and Expeditions: Vikings
Last edited by gerey on March 31st, 2024, 14:37, edited 2 times in total.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

gerey wrote: March 31st, 2024, 14:22
Bound by Flame and Mars: Wars Logs - somewhat janky cRPGs by Spiders, developers of Greedfall.
I do love Spiders
Strife, "immersive sim" based on the Doom engine. It's not really an RPG, nor an actual imsim, but I think it's worth taking a look.
If Wikipedia says it's an RPG it must be true
Uplink can be considered an RPG if we stretch the definition a bit. It has stats (server hardware), main and side quests, an open world etc.
I don't know about this one
Arx Fatalis - pretty neat Ultima Underworld spiritual successors by the same devs as Dark Messiah. And on that topic, Ultima Underworld 1 and 2. They're not that much older than System Shock, and IIRC all three games were made on the same engine and share many similarities.
Good call on Arx, I'm gonna say the Underworlds are best off in the other thread.
The Shadowrun trilogy of games. The first one is fairly short.
Yep
Obvious choice, but would Quest for Glory franchise, along with the various spiritual sequels (Heroine Quest, Quest for Infamy etc.) also count?
I would say these should go in the Adventurer's Guild, unless Rusty disagrees
Two official expansions/mods for M&B Warband - With Fire and Sword and Viking Conquest.
Isn't VC the only one with a proper campaign?
Way of the Samurai 1, 2, 3, 4 - not really RPGs, but almost unrivalled in terms of nonlinearity. They're not particularly long games, but there's a lot of choices and different endings to take.
They're kind of RPGs and very soulful so sure.
Expeditions: Conquistador and Expeditions: Vikings
Yessir
And yes, most of these aren't exactly that obscure.

What would be the cutoff date for a suggestion's release?
It's completely arbitrary and more of a feeling. A game from 2020 would be fine if it was an obscure hidden gem, but not something like Kingmaker. I'm open to being overruled on any game if people bully me enough.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Oyster Sauce wrote: March 31st, 2024, 15:09
Isn't VC the only one with a proper campaign?
With Fire & Sword actually had different main quests depending on the faction you sided with.
Last edited by gerey on March 31st, 2024, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.
Element

Post by Element »

Anachronox I never finished. The setting was weird enough to warrant a revisit.
Never knew Hard to be a God had a game adaptation, so that's another interesting choice.
I'm half way through DAO and that would force a restart, though I couldn't bring myself to play anything other than white human male so I'd just be retreading covered ground.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Oyster Sauce wrote: March 31st, 2024, 15:09
They're kind of RPGs and very soulful so sure.
wots 1 and 2 are not on PC.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Alpha Protocol

Loyalty carries a price and no one knows this more than agent Michael Thorton. A talented young agent cast out by his government, Thorton is the only one with the information needed to stop an impending international catastrophe. To do so means he must cut himself off from the very people he is sworn to protect. As players determine how to accomplish different objectives, the decisions made and actions taken in each mission will ultimately transform the type of secret agent Michael Thorton will become. Every choice the player makes as Michael Thorton will carry consequences for his future and the fate of the world.
Where to acquire

https://www.gog.com/en/game/alpha_protocol - $17.85 USD - I've managed to secure a deal with GoG. It's now 10% for the next three days if you use this link.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Time to beat

Troubleshooting

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Alpha_Protocol

Note: The last time I played AP, the hacking minigame had a severe issue with mouse movement making it almost impossible to complete in time. Comments from the GoG forum suggest this is still an issue for some players. You can get around this by savescumming, using a controller, or investing in the first hacking skill that allows you to bypass hacks with consumables.

@Irenaeus @The_Mask @gerey @Howard Crane @Nemesis @boot @Watser @ArcaneLurker
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Also worth noting that the two games tied for 2nd place have huge discounts on GoG until 04/04

Dragon Age™: Origins - Ultimate Edition $5.99 / -70%
Two Worlds Epic Edition $2.02 / -75%
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

The hacking minigame is truly unplayable so this will be interesting. I had already downloaded it and played around a little prior so I guess this is a good excuse to actually give it a go.

Edit: Also yea I will be picking up Two (2) (Deux) Worlds for two (2) (deux) bucks thank you for that.
Last edited by Vergil on April 1st, 2024, 03:22, edited 1 time in total.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Vergil wrote: April 1st, 2024, 03:17
The hacking minigame is truly unplayable so this will be interesting. I had already downloaded it and played around a little prior so I guess this is a good excuse to actually give it a go.
I remember the little emp things you can unlock making it trivial and I suggest that everybody who isn't using a controller give them a go
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Oyster Sauce wrote: April 1st, 2024, 03:05
Also worth noting that the two games tied for 2nd place have huge discounts on GoG until 04/04

Dragon Age™: Origins - Ultimate Edition $5.99 / -70%
Two Worlds Epic Edition $2.02 / -75%
Pirate them.
DAO — Don't need to explain
Two Worlds — Developer re-released Two Worlds 2 with microtransactions & disabled console commands.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Are there any mods for AP that make it less poopy?
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 1st, 2024, 03:29
Two Worlds — Developer re-released Two Worlds 2 with microtransactions & disabled console commands.
I STOLE LIKE A THIEF Two (2) Worlds II (two) (2) but I couldn't find a good link to the first game.
Envergence

Post by Envergence »

I remember disliking Two Worlds II enough to not bother completing it, so I'm curious to know if the first one is much better or largely the same. I don't have time to play it either way, but it might be cool to check out in the future, should the mood for an older game strike me.