We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Junior Adventurer's Guild - April: Alpha Protocol

Participate in a new RPG each month with other members of the HQ
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

I was planning to play differently from my old playthrough, picking a mix of suave/aggressive dialogue options and pissing everybody off. Accidentally went back to the old habits of trying to be polite and professional.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

wndrbr wrote: April 6th, 2024, 16:51
I was planning to play differently from my old playthrough, picking a mix of suave/aggressive dialogue options and pissing everybody off. Accidentally went back to the old habits of trying to be polite and professional.
Yeah, I just find it too hard to be rude for no reason to these people at the game start. I'll try be more aggressive in the next zones.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Just got stuck in a forced melee encounter in Marburg's mansion. Level starts with you CQCing two guards without any weapons or gear even though I had no points invested in melee. I eventually figured out you can wedge myself between the two desk chairs to usually only have one guy attacking at a time. If you tap the melee key once instead of comboing and then stand still sometimes their AI will fuck up and refuse to do anything until you move again, allowing you to regen your shields. Took me over 10 attempts on hard, definitely couldn't have done it without exploiting since there's no block/parry/any mechanic beyond punching if you don't go for a melee build. Not sure if there's a way to avoid this scene, but it didn't seem like it
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Oyster Sauce wrote: April 6th, 2024, 19:55
Just got stuck in a forced melee encounter in Marburg's mansion. Level starts with you CQCing two guards without any weapons or gear even though I had no points invested in melee. I eventually figured out you can wedge myself between the two desk chairs to usually only have one guy attacking at a time. If you tap the melee key once instead of comboing and then stand still sometimes their AI will fuck up and refuse to do anything until you move again, allowing you to regen your shields. Took me over 10 attempts on hard, definitely couldn't have done it without exploiting since there's no block/parry/any mechanic beyond punching if you don't go for a melee build. Not sure if there's a way to avoid this scene, but it didn't seem like it
Just escaped with 0 casualties and 0 alarms triggered. As I exfiltrated through the final gate I triggered a cutscene that had my guy walking away from the mansion, now in flames somehow, as a grenade my character presumably threw kills a guard. I'm beginning to suspect this game is fucking retarded.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Finally, after all these years, I have become Alpha Protocol.
► Show Spoiler
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

It's a shame obsidian fumbled the concept so bad. Could have been cool but instead you get the poster child for mediocrity.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Vergil wrote: April 8th, 2024, 04:09
It's a shame obsidian fumbled the concept so bad. Could have been cool but instead you get the poster child for mediocrity.
They needed to nail the basic third person shooter/stealther gameplay before going nuts with the skills and weapons and gadgets that don't matter at all. There's so much meaningless junk because you can just shoot through solid cover for no reason.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Back then Obsidian didn't even have the game director position. Games were developing by themselves with random devs coming and going.

They had to reinvent their management methodologies after the game flopped, and Sega refused to collaborate on future projects.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

I always assumed it flopped because it was developed concurrently with FNV and they prioritized FNV over it in terms of allocating developers.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

wndrbr wrote: April 8th, 2024, 05:04
Back then Obsidian didn't even have the game director position. Games were developing by themselves with random devs coming and going.

They had to reinvent their management methodologies after the game flopped, and Sega refused to collaborate on future projects.
Once a publisher gets a whiff of Obsidian they don't want to work with them again for some odd reason.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Not every publisher. Together with Microsoft, Obsidian have released many successful projects, with three more well on the way! A match made in heaven.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

wndrbr wrote: April 8th, 2024, 05:23
Together with Microsoft, Obsidian have released many successful projects,
Are they in the room with us right now?
Anon

Post by Anon »

So once I learned there'd be a badge for completing this game, I immediately went to download and install this game, with an impetus that resembled a nigger that's driven to do something for some immediate and pointless short-term gain.

But well, less than 10 minutes in, once I saw that this game has that classic wheel dialog where I can't see what my character is actually going to say, I gave up. GL boys
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Anon wrote: April 9th, 2024, 20:56
So once I learned there'd be a badge for completing this game, I immediately went to download and install this game, with an impetus that resembled a nigger that's driven to do something for some immediate and pointless short-term gain.

But well, less than 10 minutes in, once I saw that this game has that classic wheel dialog where I can't see what my character is actually going to say, I gave up. GL boys
You won't get terribly attached to Mikey T so his dialogue isn't that important.
Anon

Post by Anon »

Oyster Sauce wrote: April 9th, 2024, 20:59

You won't get terribly attached to Mikey T so his dialogue isn't that important.
Not getting attached to the protagonist isn't a selling point for a game afaik
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Anon wrote: April 9th, 2024, 21:03

This is a game you play for the warmth and sense of community. Speaking of which, everybody who voted for this shit better be playing it right now.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Oyster Sauce wrote: April 9th, 2024, 21:13
Anon wrote: April 9th, 2024, 21:03

This is a game you play for the warmth and sense of community. Speaking of which, everybody who voted for this shit better be playing it right now.
Perchance...
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

I had forgotten just how clunky Alpha Protocol is in nearly all aspects.

It came out after Metal Gear Solid 1 (and 2, and 3), and after Splinter Cell games, a bunch of Hitman games etc., yet Obsidian apparently failed to learn anything from those. The itemization is also horrible, as is the map design, which is mostly just corridors connecting you to the next arena.

And it's a pity too, the reactivity is great, I just wish they had put as much effort into the gameplay itself. All they needed to do was copy Chaos Theory for the gameplay, and then add the branching narrative on top. I'd hazard and say that PS1 Syphon Filter plays better.

Then again, it feels like a game from another dimension nowadays - protagonist is white, heterosexual and male (you can only give him a tan at worst) and all the women are good-looking.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Obsidian have a lot of experience making RPGs, yet all of their RPGs are clunky and buggy. What made you think they would fare better in a genre they had zero prior experience with?

"All they had to do was to copy Chaos Theory". I mean, Chaos Theory is one of the best stealth actions out there, Obsidian would've been happy if they were able to reach the level of Invisible War.
Last edited by wndrbr on April 11th, 2024, 00:54, edited 1 time in total.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

We're now halfway through the month. Give me a status update @Irenaeus @The_Mask @gerey @BobT @Nemesis @boot @Watser @ArcaneLurker
You better all be Protocoling right now.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Oyster Sauce wrote: April 15th, 2024, 06:55
Finished Moscow and halfway through Rome. Hopefully I'll manage to make some headway over the week.
BobT

Post by BobT »

We're now halfway through the month. Give me a status update @Irenaeus @The_Mask @gerey @BobT @Nemesis @boot @Watser @ArcaneLurker
Too busy with life shite for games at the moment. Haven't played anything in weeks. :cry:
Enjoy though! This game has a lot of jank, but it stands out and is a good pick.

Will see if the JRPG lovers enjoy Xenogears, when you get to it. :heart: Played that through many times.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

BobT wrote: April 15th, 2024, 07:00
Too busy with life shite for games at the moment. Haven't played anything in weeks. :cry:
Enjoy though! This game has a lot of jank, but it stands out and is a good pick.

Will see if the JRPG lovers enjoy Xenogears, when you get to it. :heart: Played that through many times.
Thanks for voting on a poll deciding what game everyone should play this month when you're not going to be playing any games anyway. :D
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

I voted for it because of what others said, but I couldn't even get it working.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

I was away last week on a trip and this weekend I barely had time to post here. I'll continue my save this week! Thanks for reminding me.