We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Junior Adventurer's Guild - April: Alpha Protocol

Participate in a new RPG each month with other members of the HQ
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Oyster Sauce wrote: April 1st, 2024, 22:28
rusty_shackleford wrote: April 1st, 2024, 22:23
dialogue wheels are better than traditional dialogue tree selection
"nooo I need to read the heckin writerinos!!"
it just makes you feel good because you imagine yourself saying some quippy marvel line

dialogue in RPGs was a MISTAKE tho
no
It hurts because it's true. Dialogue destroyed RPGs. Autistic men getting turned into troons by thinking they can just pump up their estrogen skill and pass a dialogue check. Marxists thinking disco communism is one of the best RPGs ever made because '…le… dialogue…' despite it not being an RPG at all.
Anon

Post by Anon »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 1st, 2024, 22:30
Oyster Sauce wrote: April 1st, 2024, 22:28
it just makes you feel good because you imagine yourself saying some quippy marvel line

no
It hurts because it's true. Dialogue destroyed RPGs. Autistic men getting turned into troons by thinking they can just pump up their estrogen skill and pass a dialogue check. Marxists thinking disco communism is one of the best RPGs ever made because '…le… dialogue…' despite it not being an RPG at all.
That's a wild take that I somehow agree with. I must say I kinda miss the simplicity and ingenuous nature of 90s RPGs. Dialogues opened the window to push agendas and that led to what we're getting since last decade.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

That's a wild take that I somehow agree with. I must say I kinda miss the simplicity and ingenuous nature of illiteracy. Reading opened the window to push agendas and that led to what we're getting since last decade.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Irenaeus wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 00:14
Gonna start it tonight :cool: Game is cool af
Have you played it before?
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Vergil wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 00:20
Yeah, once. Going for a different build and faction/allies this time. Don't really know much about the in-and-outs of it, but I found the first experience very enjoyable. As close to a Bloodlines in terms of writing that we got in the last 20 years.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Irenaeus wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 00:24
Vergil wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 00:20
Yeah, once. Going for a different build and faction/allies this time. Don't really know much about the in-and-outs of it, but I found the first experience very enjoyable. As close to a Bloodlines in terms of writing that we got in the last 20 years.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Vergil wrote: April 1st, 2024, 21:51
I like that Obsidian used their legendary storywriting and RPG background to come up with a way to do the bioware dialog wheel even worse than bethesda ended up doing.
mass effect/dragon age 2/fo4 dialogue wheel is just a typical rpg dialogue system, but done in a retarded way since you can't see what your guy is actually going to say.

In AP the shortening of the dialogue options down to 'sarcastic/aggressive/etc' was done for the actual reasons, since you probably won't be able to read the full line due to the timer. You don't pick the exact options that may lead to vastly different outcomes, you choose the behavior of your character which contributes to roleplaying aspect of the game and also affects the disposition of NPCs.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

wndrbr wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 00:42
In AP the shortening of the dialogue options down to 'sarcastic/aggressive/etc' was done for the actual reasons, since you probably won't be able to read the full line due to the timer.
Sounds like it was an awful idea and should have been scraped then.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Idk, i think it's neither bad nor good. I think they were just experimenting and trying to improve the flow of conversations, and I support experimentation with the tired gameplay elements.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

i'd rather have something well made than something experimental.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Weird decision to give the main character aspergers. VA is like a knockoff Mark Meer too.
BobT

Post by BobT »

And then you need to have added on the "I'm not interested, that's creepy" bit from the response to the other person. :lol:
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

BobT wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 03:16

And then you need to have added on the "I'm not interested, that's creepy" bit from the response to the other person. :lol:
he didn't add anything, that's how it was in the game.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Doing a smartass/badass build going mostly shotgun and gadgets. Story and characters have been fun but I still havent finished Saudi Barbaria. Zero issues so far, it's easy to get immersed on the pre-Obama world - before the woke left had gone insane.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

wndrbr wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 03:21
BobT wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 03:16

he didn't add anything, that's how it was in the game.
MCA was having a blast writing the flirting dialogue.

Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Have zero clue what this game is beyond the cover art and title and honestly never heard of it until this poll, so I'm just going to jump in blind and see if it makes an impact

edit: this is just a dating sim isn't
Last edited by Nammu Archag on April 2nd, 2024, 09:31, edited 2 times in total.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

The stealth is surprising shallow. You're free to kill someone who's in the middle of speaking to another guard, bodies disappear after a few seconds, and alerts typically only affect a handful of enemies.

Hot tip: you can line up critical shots and shoot people even if your guy is aiming his gun at the wall
Last edited by Oyster Sauce on April 3rd, 2024, 00:39, edited 1 time in total.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Getting psyched for my second section tonight. Gonna finish Saudi Araybia.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Oyster Sauce wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 03:30
Watching Burn Notice is mandatory this month btw.

Kino show. I wish the game was like this.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Remember when developers didn't know how to scale the characters to environments?

Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Oyster Sauce wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 05:13
Remember when developers didn't know how to scale the characters to environments?

Actually, this is just what toilets in Taiwan look like, really love the minute details that obsidian sprinkles in.
Last edited by Nammu Archag on April 3rd, 2024, 08:19, edited 1 time in total.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Billions must spy

Last edited by Oyster Sauce on April 3rd, 2024, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

I don't know... if they make them less about the "dialogue" itself (other than to convey the encounters) and implemented more detailed statistical play with skills much like combat is and they were designed according to proper logical argument formulas and theory, it could be interesting, though that would require too much thought in development and much of the average gamers out there wouldn't "get" the system.