We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

What games have been saved by mods?

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
A Chinese opium den

Post by A Chinese opium den »

Oyster Sauce wrote: March 27th, 2024, 12:41
A Chinese opium den wrote: March 27th, 2024, 12:41
Mass effect 3 is greatly improved with some mods, to the point it actually feels like a complete game. Of course Bioware fucked it up for a bit by releasing the legendary edition, but like SKSE I think most mods are ported over by now.
First I've heard of this. What does it have?
There's a couple overhaul mods that flesh out the war system to actually have impact, and put back some of the cut content that was actually worth restoring and generally just improve gameplay and add content, some other smaller ones that just focus on characters story and quest lines being cleaned up. Theres also quite a few mods that change the story in customizable ways to make it less shit, personally I used the MEHEM and EGM mods with the citadel as the epilogue and it was very comfy. Its been a minute since I played it but I would recommend modding and playing the LE for 1-2 then switching to the original for 3 since some of the older mods I liked hadn't been ported. I did have to create an exact copy of my save with story flags copied from LE with the save editor to back port into 3 so fair warning (though there could have been a better way and I didn't know).
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Is there an area on the site with an organized list of games and MODHQ recommended mod lists? Would be nice to see things categorized as such. I trust the general recommendations of players here over random "top bestest mods eva for..." sites which pollute them with garbage and cheats. One of the biggest obstacles for me is getting everything setup as I usually spend days organizing, tweaking and setting up to play only to lose interest once I am done and move on to something else.

If there were a place I could go to see a list of recommendations (maybe even put into paks, or categorized by style of play), it would greatly speed up the process and I would likely make it over the hurdle and into play.
Last edited by Xenich on March 27th, 2024, 13:39, edited 2 times in total.
Efyr

Post by Efyr »

Metalhead33 wrote: March 26th, 2024, 20:45
- Baldur's Gate 3: No Alphabets, or at the very least, Ser Aylin, is a must have. The game is so pozzed in its vanilla state that it makes me vomit.
The reason why I am here. Thank you MODHQ.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Oyster Sauce wrote: March 27th, 2024, 12:41
A Chinese opium den wrote: March 27th, 2024, 12:41
Mass effect 3 is greatly improved with some mods, to the point it actually feels like a complete game. Of course Bioware fucked it up for a bit by releasing the legendary edition, but like SKSE I think most mods are ported over by now.
First I've heard of this. What does it have?
Probably any of the mods related to war effort, as by default it's retarded.
ME3 is actually a really fun third person shooty pooty game on insane difficulty. Good AI.
Metalhead33

Post by Metalhead33 »

Efyr wrote: March 27th, 2024, 18:17
Metalhead33 wrote: March 26th, 2024, 20:45
- Baldur's Gate 3: No Alphabets, or at the very least, Ser Aylin, is a must have. The game is so pozzed in its vanilla state that it makes me vomit.
The reason why I am here. Thank you MODHQ.
Same here.
Kowe

Post by Kowe »

Planescape: Torment with Ultimate WeiDU Fixpack.
Haven't seen how popular it has been over the years and have also not tried to run the Non-EE-version without the fixpack. Got to Crust at least last time it was installed.
Don't know if it can therefore be considered saved.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Arguably none honestly. There's no games that didn't at least require a very solid and enjoyable foundation first. Mods can improve a game sure but I don't think there's ever been a truly awful game that is unplayable without mods. Even Skyrim needed the foundations of an enjoyable game for people to care enough to mod it so heavily in the first place. Then you also get into the argument of how far can you stretch modding to the point where you can't even really say you've modified the specific game to be good. It's more like you've used such a heavy load order to turn it into a different game entirely.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Roguey wrote: March 27th, 2024, 10:51
Nammu Archag wrote: March 27th, 2024, 00:59
Roguey wrote: March 27th, 2024, 00:09
Neverwinter Nights is an obvious one. :P Lousy base campaign, mediocre expansion packs, some good user-made campaigns.

They all swear by Dork Messiah. I suppose Kingdom Dumb Deliverance also has its fans.
I love dark messiah but it heavily lacks any actually RPG mechanics. Kingdom come is an RPG but I hated its combat
https://www.mobygames.com/game/24996/da ... ws/197354/ looks RPG to me
Yeah its just extremely shallow since you unlock most the skills anyways.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Vergil wrote: March 27th, 2024, 18:42
Arguably none honestly. There's no games that didn't at least require a very solid and enjoyable foundation first. Mods can improve a game sure but I don't think there's ever been a truly awful game that is unplayable without mods. Even Skyrim needed the foundations of an enjoyable game for people to care enough to mod it so heavily in the first place. Then you also get into the argument of how far can you stretch modding to the point where you can't even really say you've modified the specific game to be good. It's more like you've used such a heavy load order to turn it into a different game entirely.
Oblivion was really messed up at release, it seemed ok, but not something I would have played till the end without major modding. Skyrim, I couldn't even enjoy due to the design directions and waiting till mods came out to make it worthy of playing.