We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

The Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore, Maryland which crosses the Patapsco River has reportedly Collapsed

Do you have a dumb political opinion? Do you want other people to know about your dumb political opinion? Look no further!
The_Mask

The Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore, Maryland which crosses the Patapsco River has reportedly Collapsed

Post by The_Mask »

The Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore, Maryland which crosses the Patapsco River has reportedly Collapsed within the last few minutes after being Struck by a Large Container Ship; a Mass Casualty Incident has been Declared with over a Dozen Cars and many Individuals said to be in the Water.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Goddamn. I assumed there would be some degree of redundancy on the far side, but nope.
Last edited by Oyster Sauce on March 26th, 2024, 07:47, edited 1 time in total.
Watser
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Watser »

When these things happen it's always either a woman or a drunk russian.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Somewhere, a city planner is already licking xir chops to build the brand new George Floyd Memorial Bridge.
cbight

Post by cbight »

WTF? A boat hits one of the pillars of a bridge and the entire thing suddenly collapses? That story is almost as absurd as the one where skyscrapers collapsed after being hit by a plane. Just WTF is wrong with this timeline?
Last edited by cbight on March 26th, 2024, 10:02, edited 3 times in total.
Watser
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Watser »

cbight wrote: March 26th, 2024, 09:42
WTF? A boat hits one of the pillars of a bridge and the entire thing suddenly collapses? That story is almost as absurd as the one where skyscrapers collapsed after being hit by a plane. Just WTF is wrong with this timeline?
There's a lot of weight behind one of those big boats, the pillars are likely just a concrete shell to protect the steel which probably already has some rust issues depending on when and how it was constructed. It's hundreds of tons of metal going up against hundreds of tons of metal head on, something's gotta give.

It does look comical.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Is this like an important, key bridge for the city? I'd be fucking furious if some retard ruined traffic for years with a prank like this.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Talk about competence crisis...

der ewige weibliche
Last edited by Irenaeus on March 26th, 2024, 12:50, edited 1 time in total.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Baltimore sucks. I got mugged there twice in the same day. Trump was (of course) right that the place is a shithole.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Irenaeus wrote: March 26th, 2024, 12:46
Talk about competence crisis...

der ewige weibliche
Not a competency issue, planned infrastructure destruction hidden behind competency.

Without DEI being advertised as a such, people would start questioning, but instead they just write it off to just a result of poor management decisions in hiring.
Rand

Post by Rand »

Watser wrote: March 26th, 2024, 10:10
the pillars are likely just a concrete shell to protect the steel which probably already has some rust issues depending on when and how it was constructed
Bridge pillars are not a shell. They're a metric fuckton of concrete that goes way deeper than you think.
You're right about the rebar, though. The concrete had likely not been maintained properly and the more exposed rebar had likely rusted inside.
It's American infrastructure. They have money for bullshit at home and around the world, but not for infrastructure maintenance, apparently.
Rand

Post by Rand »

Oyster Sauce wrote: March 26th, 2024, 10:22
Is this like an important, key bridge for the city? I'd be fucking furious if some retard ruined traffic for years with a prank like this.
Yes. It cuts across the longest point.

cbight

Post by cbight »

A bridge built by Indians and destroyed by boat company comprised of non-whites and women: AKA The perfect image for the cover of the book titled "The Age of Diversity".
Jordy

Post by Jordy »

Rand wrote: March 26th, 2024, 14:09
Yes. It cuts across the longest point.

"Erm...I won't be able to make it into work today..."
Watser
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Watser »

Rand wrote: March 26th, 2024, 13:57
the pillars are likely just a concrete shell to protect the steel which probably already has some rust issues depending on when and how it was constructed
Bridge pillars are not a shell. They're a metric fuckton of concrete that goes way deeper than you think.
Point was concrete vs a fully loaded container ship is gonna break, and the rebar reinforcing the pillar is just going to bend having the entire thing collapsing in upon itself.
Thankfully it happened in the middle of the night on a week day, any news on the 20 people who were on the bridge at the time?
Rand

Post by Rand »

Watser wrote: March 26th, 2024, 15:06
Rand wrote: March 26th, 2024, 13:57
Point was concrete vs a fully loaded container ship is gonna break, and the rebar reinforcing the pillar is just going to bend having the entire thing collapsing in upon itself.
Thankfully it happened in the middle of the night on a week day, any news on the 20 people who were on the bridge at the time?
Unless they can swim a long way in frigid water...
That's IF they can figure out to get out of the car in the first few seconds before it sinks or the electrical system shorts out so they can't even open a window.
(Modern cars are garbage. The old crank handle to roll down the window let you escape your deathtrap.)
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

There's an underwater tunnel nearby, but only 2 lanes and trucks can't use it. They'll have to go around on the beltway instead. Traffic will be bad and Baltimore already has bad traffic because everyone lives in the county and commutes to work in the city.

Big issue is that the debris blocks the harbor. Not just the bridge but also the ship, which appears to be taking on water. You can't just go around it because most of the harbor is shallow and there's just a narrow channel the big ships use.

Baltimore is the main port for trucks and farming equipment (closest port city to the midwest) and coal exports.

The bridge was built in the 70's and it took five years from ground being broken to completion. The city won't be in charge, the state highway administration will, and they're decently competent. MD has good roads. The original bridge was built with steel from the Bethlehem Steel plant right at the north end of the bridge. Now it will be steel from china, if it's rebuilt at all.

The ship is only liability insured for the value of the ship so Dinesh isn't gonna cover it.

I am reading that locals were at the helm, which makes sense as the harbor is difficult to navigate.

They are saying that they think the only dead are 6 maintenance crew, sounds low.
Rand

Post by Rand »

Dead wrote: March 26th, 2024, 15:15
Imagine dying because some fucktards drove a ship into a bridge. How absurd.
You prefer dying because some American fucktards paid some CCP Chinese fucktards to engineer a deadlier version of bird flu?
(Assuming that it actually killed anyone not already on the brink of death, that is. I believe 99.99%+ of deaths were the extreme elderly, the morbidly obese, and compromised immune system people.)
Last edited by Rand on March 26th, 2024, 15:22, edited 1 time in total.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Well done, 47. Mission accomplished. Return to base for payment and debriefing.
Last edited by Emphyrio on March 26th, 2024, 15:50, edited 1 time in total.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Why is there a mayoral letterman jacket

Last edited by Oyster Sauce on March 26th, 2024, 17:23, edited 1 time in total.