We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Waterworld was pretty good

Movies? TV shows? Books? Comics? Music? It goes here.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Waterworld was pretty good

Post by rusty_shackleford »

So was The Postman. I don't know why there was a hit ordered on Costner's movies, but they weren't anywhere near terrible.
Humbaba

Post by Humbaba »

Nah, they both sucked.

Good thread.

-Humbaba
Hauberk

Post by Hauberk »

These days, I find that most older movies are at least watchable. In comparison with the new stuff, which is just awful and not worthy of anyone's time. Yes, there's the occasional gem in the sewer but that's about it.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Humbaba wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 14:22
Nah, they both sucked.

Good thread.

-Humbaba
Didn't watch either but I've gotta go with Humbaba on this one
Gregz
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gregz »

Saw this movie in the theater, hated it.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Saw it in the theater, it was a fun if not great movie - still is.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

I think I liked Waterworld for the concepts and ideas, rather than execution. I liked it when he revealed the gills. I also liked that Pirates of the Dark Water vibe. It's just too bad that the people working on the movie didn't believe in their own project more.

And the Postman was nice, but it felt a bit too cheesy at times.

Looking back, they were both movies where the people involved just didn't believe as much as they should in what they were doing. Everyone needed to put a bit more effort, and not just go through the motions.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

They're both bad but they are still movies which is why they look like golden age kino compared to what we have now.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Postman was dogshit liberal propaganda. The movie hammers you over the head with "racism bad" and "niggers are the sacred spirit animal of the US."

The "bad" guy was the only one with an actual point to make, the movie should have been about him restoring order to the country.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

I've never watched either movie, I wanted to see how easy I could get you guys to agree with my position that is at odds with the mainstream opinion.
:trolling:
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

should have stuck with the aesthetics of the original
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

The_Mask wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 15:35
And the Postman was nice, but it felt a bit too cheesy at times.
Agreed, also too long. But it was better than a lot of shit that was praised at the time, such as "American Beauty".
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

gerey wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 15:57
Postman was dogshit liberal propaganda. The movie hammers you over the head with "racism bad" and "niggers are the sacred spirit animal of the US."

The "bad" guy was the only one with an actual point to make, the movie should have been about him restoring order to the country.
Damn, I don't even remember that. Can't remember a single nigger from that movie, thought it was all white. :lol:
Red7

Post by Red7 »

i still dont get it, if dirt was so precious why it would worth only as much as pure hydro (or even 2x), especially considering hydro so much more dense and easy to harvest by condensation and other primitve means. in book the took wooden shelfs from shop as those were more valuable than anything he could buy

i think about at least once a week.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

They are cheesy, simplistic, a bit woke at times with the virtue signaling, but over all if you accept them for what they are, they are entertaining.
Red7

Post by Red7 »

i really wish they made rambo movie thats faithful to the book
Last edited by Red7 on March 23rd, 2024, 16:08, edited 1 time in total.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

Yeah, so I liked exactly what remained after they stripped the aesthetics away (from Waterworld): the core concept and the feeling.

So I was right: they just went through the motions, and nobody truly believed in their own project.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Irenaeus wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 16:04

Damn, I don't even remember that. Can't remember a single nigger from that movie, thought it was all white. :lol:

It is the black guy right after the play where the general arrives and they start picking out new recruits. The sergeant even comments on one of them being unfit for the ranks, but the general tells him to accept him anyway. Later in the film, Costner quotes some Shakespeare about being free and breaking from bonds, and the black guy shows interest, like he has some "connection" to it (odd, its futuristic, he is too young to even remember society, but somehow understands personally the connection to slavery?). Later the black guy sacrifices himself to allow Costner to get away.

Complete 90's woke propaganda programming, but that level of pandering was extremely common throughout the 80's and 90's.

Also, remember Ford? He was black as well and there were some various scenes where he plays to that race card as well. The movie overall has a theme in it concerning it, and people who wake up to the details of this stuff will see it in more places (it is throughout most of the movies in history and to varying levels depending on the times).

Waterworld also has some of that woke crap messaging as well from everything to "smoking is bad", to "your killing the planet", etc...

Depends on if you can tolerate it. Back then, I wasn't awake as much as I am now, so a lot of it while I noticed it, the totality of its devious messaging didn't hit me. These days, I find them less appealing than I used to, but because of my previous experience with them, they don't hit me as hard as a newer title does.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Xenich wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 16:17
Irenaeus wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 16:04

It is the black guy right after the play where the general arrives and they start picking out new recruits. The sergeant even comments on one of them being unfit for the ranks, but the general tells him to accept him anyway. Later in the film, Costner quotes some Shakespeare about being free and breaking from bonds, and the black guy shows interest, like he has some "connection" to it (odd, its futuristic, he is too young to even remember society, but somehow understands personally the connection to slavery?). Later the black guy sacrifices himself to allow Costner to get away.

Complete 90's woke propaganda programming, but that level of pandering was extremely common throughout the 80's and 90's.

Also, remember Ford? He was black as well and there were some various scenes where he plays to that race card as well. The movie overall has a theme in it concerning it, and people who wake up to the details of this stuff will see it in more places (it is throughout most of the movies in history and to varying levels depending on the times).
Damn, I don't remember any of this. Who the heck is Ford?
Obviously I hated it then and hate it now. I just had forgotten about the bad parts (niggers).
Waterworld had a retarded shitlib message that fossil fuels are bad - give money to my green NGO so I can embezzle it. At least there were no niggers (please don't aware me of any).
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Yeah, her acting was so cringe in the movie. It was one of the hardest things to watch. The only one with any real talent was Dennis Hopper, but his acting style is really just himself over and over through movies. He however is good at playing that so came off natural, even with a horribly written character.

I think the cheese is why I liked them. If I were to take it seriously, it would be a pure garbage movie.
Last edited by Xenich on March 23rd, 2024, 16:25, edited 1 time in total.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 14:21
So was The Postman. I don't know why there was a hit ordered on Costner's movies, but they weren't anywhere near terrible.
i always liked the postman novel as a kid. haven't seen the movie
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

it has been a loooooong time since i read the novel. maybe the movie is more overt?
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Xenich wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 16:25
Yeah, her acting was so cringe in the movie. It was one of the hardest things to watch. The only one with any real talent was Dennis Hopper, but his acting style is really just himself over and over through movies. He however is good at playing that so came off natural, even with a horribly written character.

I think the cheese is why I liked them. If I were to take it seriously, it would be a pure garbage movie.
I posted that part because I like it.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Waterworld's negative peception is all due to hollywood "accountants" being mad at Coster for spending so much money making the movie.
This is true, and is to be expected of something by David "Rabid Athiest Jew" Brin. Having read the novel, at least the movie has a coherent plot. It's downright conservative propoganda compared to the book.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

dang, sucks to hear. last time i read it was about 25 years ago, all i remember is basically the first parts when he's visiting the first town.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Emphyrio wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 16:35
Xenich wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 16:25

I posted that part because I like it.
You like it as in you like the cheese cringe of it? That is fine, I like many movies for how cringe they are, it becomes their own special "style" (I linked ice pirates for instance which is total cheese, horible acting, etc..).
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Acrux wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 16:44
This is true, and is to be expected of something by David "Rabid Athiest Jew" Brin.
oh is he? guess i can skip reading sundiver