We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Alone in the Dark (2024)

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
Xenich

Alone in the Dark (2024)

Post by Xenich »

Thoughts? Woke factor? Worth the download?

Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

Worth the download? At the price? Absolutely not.
Last edited by Nemesis on March 21st, 2024, 19:28, edited 1 time in total.
Makirige

Post by Makirige »

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Last edited by Nemesis on March 21st, 2024, 20:05, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: In the future, put this stuff in [hidden] tags.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

More of "worth the download" is what I was getting at. I can deal with some poor design, optimization, etc... but if it is just another woke wreck, I won't bother. I noticed that woke idiot from Stranger Things is in it, so it made me leery.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

From what i've seen, it's not woke.

The game itself is a really average resident evil 4 clone, with a lesser emphasis on gameplay and bigger emphasis on plot. Unfortunately the devs didn't have enough budget to pull off good character animations, so you end up with a cutscene-focused game where cutscenes look kinda bad.
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

cant they create new things
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Finished the game. It's not great, but it's not really bad either.

The game is rigidly split into combat and non-combat locations. Derceto manor is basically a non-combat hub where the player chats with NPCs, solves puzzles, and searches for the various hidden collectibles. There are no monsters in the manor (except for a couple of scripted moments), and most of the enemy encounters happen when the protagonist leaves Derceto. And all of these combat-focused locations are just boring corridors where you occasionally shoot at monsters or look for a key to open some locked door. Resource management is non-existent (the game uses adaptive difficulty and showers you with ammo and healing drinks if you're low on supplies), monsters are really dumb and don't even look scary, and the areas are linear and rarely give you any interesting opportunities to avoid enemies. Bleh.

Structurally the game kinda reminded me of Deadly Premonition - during the peaceful Derceto segments you are doing the various adventure things such as looking for clues and communicating with the cast of kooky weirdos all while listening to a jazzy soundtrack. Then the combat section starts and the game goes to shit. Then the combat section ends, and we are again exploring the manor, opening the previously locked doors, listening to a jazzy soundtrack, talking to strange NPCs, etc.

As a survival horror it sucks ass, so avoid if you want something like the modern Resident Evil games. It succeeds at being an OK adventure, though. Oh, and there is no wokeness.

Overall it feels like a PS3/Xbox360-era game, in both good and bad sense.
Last edited by wndrbr on March 24th, 2024, 04:41, edited 1 time in total.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

The only thing that makes me want to play it is this:

rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

thq nordic is insane with these prices tbh
$60 for these AA jankfests

probably would have sold 3-4x as many copies of this and outcast if they charged $30. Price doesn't just directly lead to more sales, it also indirectly does through getting more reviews and making people more likely to overlook jank.
who put the woman in charge of economics
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on April 2nd, 2024, 00:09, edited 2 times in total.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

asf wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 00:42
cant they create new things
No, game dev is a cargo cult.