We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

GOG-Games Going 'Private' March 23rd

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 16:44
Removing ""their"" credits breaks the games
never seen that before. every pirate site has had a moment where someone took advantage to upload something nefarious. I've used igg-games for almost a decade or more and have never seen anything like what you're showing there, no extra .dll's.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

in fact i used igg-games last night to download kotor2 and there were zero extra files of any sort, just the GOG installer and a readme. Nothing extra post-install either, same as always.

(ended up having to buy the game on Steam anyway because the pirate versions available for download on IGG and Ovagames aren't updated to the current 2017 steam re-release, and I wanted the current version).
Last edited by aweigh on March 23rd, 2024, 16:53, edited 3 times in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

KnightoftheWind wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 16:48
rusty_shackleford wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 16:30
aweigh wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 16:28
i just grab everything off ovagames.com or igg-games.com

used those for years and never had a single problem. obviously use uBlock to block the ads.
cs.rin.ru doesn't allow igg-games because they put malware in their downloads fyi
Really?, IGGGames is a mainstay on 1337x. Every day they upload dozens of games.

Edit: I also run Linux, so I'm probably immune to any Windows-based viruses anyway.
1337x allowed a BG3 torrent with a crypto miner in it and didn't take it down until after a lot of complaining

Which ironically meant, the empress dude was right about them
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

EMPRESS is insane, never take anything he says at face value. And allowing a bad torrent to upload and remain on the site is different than maliciously uploading one themselves. I've always had a good experience on 1337x personally. But just in case, do you know of any good alternatives?.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 16:54
KnightoftheWind wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 16:48

cs.rin.ru doesn't allow igg-games because they put malware in their downloads fyi
Really?, IGGGames is a mainstay on 1337x. Every day they upload dozens of games.

Edit: I also run Linux, so I'm probably immune to any Windows-based viruses anyway.
1337x allowed a BG3 torrent with a crypto miner in it and didn't take it down until after a lot of complaining

Which ironically meant, the empress dude was right about them
Like I said, at some point or another *every* pirate site has had someone, at SOME point, take advantage of their upload status to do something nefarious. I remember when the l337 thing happened.

Well, until my ISP started telling me they were going to ban me from the service if I kept torrenting, but aside from that no problems. Actually that brings me to another point: you should be FAR more afraid of torrents with copyright bots in them than of "viruses" and "miners". And unfortunately pretty much every torrent everywhere now has copyright bots in it, and there's nothing that can be done about it.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

I'm just reporting what I know, I can't comment on the veracity of it. I nearly only use cs.rin.ru
Anon

Post by Anon »

aweigh wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 16:28
i just grab everything off ovagames.com or igg-games.com

used those for years and never had a single problem. obviously use uBlock to block the ads.
It's a common misconception but it was never hard-proven that igg-games had malware in any of their shit. IGG has a bad reputation truly because:

1- they put their own ads in their shit

2- apparently some of their shit has a built-in DRM where if you delete any of their files their shit stops working completely

3- they have doxxed other people in the scene

4- they do actively profit from their work, and some pirates don't like it.

I still download some of their shit simply because they have pretty much everything, often they're the only existing source of pirating some game. Whenever there is any alternative I go for the alternative though.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Anon wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 17:01
It's a common misconception but it was never hard-proven that igg-games had malware in any of their shit. IGG has a bad reputation truly because:

2- apparently some of their shit has a built-in DRM where if you delete any of their files their shit stops working completely
That is malware.
Anon

Post by Anon »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 17:03
Anon wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 17:01

That is malware.
Sure but at this point denuvo is an even worse malware and people don't seem to mind. Between consooming shit that sells our data regardless and pirating from IGG I pick IGG
Last edited by Anon on March 23rd, 2024, 17:04, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

I was going to download a game from IGG games to check to see if the claims are true, but…
Anon

Post by Anon »

Yeah I download their shit directly from 1337x.

Btw if you pirate frequently you should be aware that it isn't 100% safe and you're subject from getting some kind of malware especially if you're willing to download shit from less trusted sources like IGG but even if not you're still not 100% safe

Though at this point I don't think even only being a consoomer leaves you 100% safe considering how invasive and scummy some gaming developers and publishers seem to be.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Anon wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 17:09

Btw if you pirate frequently you should be aware that it isn't 100% safe and you're subject from getting some kind of malware especially if you're willing to download shit from less trusted sources like IGG but even if not you're still not 100% safe

Though at this point I don't think even only being a consoomer leaves you 100% safe considering how invasive and scummy some gaming developers and publishers seem to be.
I run all games in an unnetworked sandbox on lunix, pirated or not.
Anon

Post by Anon »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 17:01
I'm just reporting what I know, I can't comment on the veracity of it. I nearly only use cs.rin.ru
Nowadays I've been only using 1337x but I'll look this site more from now on
Anon

Post by Anon »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 17:10
Anon wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 17:09

I run all games in an unnetworked sandbox on lunix, pirated or not.
Smart, I wish I was that much of a computerfag
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

imagine running pirated stuff in non sandboxed environments
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

Vergil wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 15:37
Maybe the operator should have clarified at all what was meant instead of putting a big red vague declaration at the top and then not responding to any questions about what it meant. :Inspector:
> Autistic Obsession with some Niche activity
> Causing Drama for no explicable reason
> Making peoples lives miserable
> Extremely entitled
> Sensitive to any kind of dissent / questions asked / etc

Troon Alarms are Buzzing
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Shillitron wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 18:11
Vergil wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 15:37
Maybe the operator should have clarified at all what was meant instead of putting a big red vague declaration at the top and then not responding to any questions about what it meant. :Inspector:
> Autistic Obsession with some Niche activity
> Causing Drama for no explicable reason
> Making peoples lives miserable
> Extremely entitled
> Sensitive to any kind of dissent / questions asked / etc

Troon Alarms are Buzzing
You forgot the most obvious tell:
> Has mastodon account
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

But is that malicious? Malware by its base definition is more specific in data collection and other criminal behaviors. This is basic hacker implemented DRM due to tons of copy sites taking their hacks and displaying them as their own. Hackers tend to be pretty territorial about such things.

I would be more worried about official sources and their data practices than I am about a hacker/site operator trying to keep their name tied to their release.

I get your point though, as it would be easy to inject something, but... well... it is the circles of the game so to speak.
Last edited by Xenich on March 23rd, 2024, 19:13, edited 1 time in total.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Anon wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 17:15
There are other sites...
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Anon

Post by Anon »

Xenich wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 19:19
There are other sites...
Hidden Content
Both of them upload regularly on 1337 on their own profiles which are notoriously known
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 19:13
Xenich wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 19:12
But is that malicious?
It's adware, a type of malware.
Yea, but I wouldn't call it malicious though. Some tend be annoying, but many are just a name tagging.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

slobguy repacks are great if you want to spend 5x longer unpacking the game as downloading
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Anon wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 19:21
Xenich wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 19:19

There are other sites...
Hidden Content
Both of them upload regularly on 1337 on their own profiles which are notoriously known
True, but they also have DD links as well on their main sites, often portioned in smaller file sizes for those who lack a good connection.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 19:21
slobguy repacks are great if you want to spend 5x longer unpacking the game as downloading
Yeah, depending on title, Dodi is better. Though if you have a fast machine, it isn't that big a deal, especially if you are concerned about space.
Anon

Post by Anon »

Xenich wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 19:12
But is that malicious? Malware by its base definition is more specific in data collection and other criminal behaviors. This is basic hacker implemented DRM due to tons of copy sites taking their hacks and displaying them as their own. Hackers tend to be pretty territorial about such things.

I would be more worried about official sources and their data practices than I am about a hacker/site operator trying to keep their name tied to their release.

I get your point though, as it would be easy to inject something, but... well... it is the circles of the game so to speak.
Actually their DRM is because they run it as an effective business from where they have real profits from their service, and that's why pirates don't like them.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

i stopped bothering with fitgirl repacks when i left Gears of War 4 installing overnight and after 13 hours it was still only at 65%. No thanks! Also all of those hours constantly hammering your CPU and HDD can't be healthy for your PC either.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

aweigh wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 19:25
i stopped bothering with fitgirl repacks when i left Gears of War 4 installing overnight and after 13 hours it was still only at 65%. No thanks! Also all of those hours constantly hammering your CPU and HDD can't be healthy for your PC either.
Depends on your machine and setup. Never had an install go over an hour, and most stay below 10-20 mins. Nothing is taxed.
Anon

Post by Anon »

aweigh wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 19:25
You most likely checked the installer option that limits RAM usage.
OnTilt

Post by OnTilt »

I don't know. I'm just skeptical of downloading repacks from