We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Alpha Protocol available for purchase again

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Alpha Protocol available for purchase again

Post by rusty_shackleford »

https://www.gog.com/en/news/alpha_proto ... ts_revival
You can purchase it here: https://www.gog.com/game/alpha_protocol?source=news

But that’s not all we have up our sleeves, of course! For this incredibly special occasion, we’ve prepared a one-of-a-kind documentary video, where the process of bringing back Alpha Protocol is extensively explained – including interviews with its creators, as well as our own team members. You can watch it below!
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Thank you, rusty. This game goes reall well with fromunda cheese.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

We have storefront-exclusive patches now. I demand an update for my steam copy too!
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

How are games always getting got by music licensing issues? Seems like something you should know to futureproof.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Oyster Sauce wrote: March 20th, 2024, 14:45
How are games always getting got by music licensing issues? Seems like something you should know to futureproof.
I'd assume it's likely a cause of some higher up demanding certain music pieces being used and them only being able to license it for a limited time period. Avellone probably knows more if anyone wants to ask him(@Roguey?)
https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

I hear that FromundaSoft sent legal aids to help get alphapopamole in stores, again.
Bill Crusher

Post by Bill Crusher »

Holy shit, it's back! I've always wanted this game but never had the opportunity to buy it on steam
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

My brother's girlfriend's cousin's friend knows the guy who writes soundscapes for FromundaSoft. His inspiration is deez nuts.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

OOF UNH OOF OOF UNH OOF UNH UNH OOF

DRM/10
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 20th, 2024, 14:47
I'd assume it's likely a cause of some higher up demanding certain music pieces being used and them only being able to license it for a limited time period. Avellone probably knows more if anyone wants to ask him(@Roguey?)
I noticed Chris wasn't interviewed in that GOG video :Inspector:

Is he really still on the libtard shitlist (GOG and CDPR being well known shitlib companies)
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Atlantico wrote: March 20th, 2024, 15:55
I noticed Chris wasn't interviewed in that GOG video :Inspector:

Is he really still on the libtard shitlist (GOG and CDPR being well known shitlib companies)
When you get accused of anything women don't like you are Damnatio memoriae for eternity no matter what.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

I bet once people actually play Alpha Protocol they will think it's overrated. It's seemed like one of those games that became mythologized because it wasn't available for a long time.
Ratcatcher
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ratcatcher »

Pretty sure for the longest of time it was the butt end of many jokes, on many different boards. Some people liked it despite the jank and bugs. I apreciate the scope of what they intended to produce but it's a 4/10 for effort at best.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Acrux wrote: March 20th, 2024, 16:01
I bet once people actually play Alpha Protocol they will think it's overrated. It's seemed like one of those games that became mythologized because it wasn't available for a long time.
It's a game zoomers pretend to like because they saw a 999 hour "retrospective" (aka plot summary with bad jokes) calling it an underrated gem.
logincrash

Post by logincrash »

Nah, it's a good game. Sure, it's as janky as all shit, as is the case with all the Obsidian games, but I played it the year it released on my ancient even by those times PC and enjoyed it immensely, even with the myriad of bugs and the average FPS of 15. The reactivity of the world and the replayability is off the charts.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

I always felt a bit sorry for not buying it on Steam, but it seems the universe has a way for me to get the game, installer files *and* a documentary.

$20?

Sure. Why not?
Last edited by The_Mask on March 21st, 2024, 16:44, edited 1 time in total.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

logincrash wrote: March 20th, 2024, 16:22
it's a good game.
myriad of bugs and the average FPS of 15
:scratch:
Could you call Citizen Kane a good movie if it was presented as a powerpoint presentation with audio from a chinese blutooth speaker?
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

I don't have direct knowledge of this specific case, but a lifetime license for a piece of music can be really pricey. They cheaped out by opting in for a 10 year license (console generations are only about 7 years so that makes sense if you don't care too much about something forever-existing on PC), and when it came time for renewal Sega said "Nah." Looks like GOG was willing to pony up.

Even Rockstar with all its wealth has had to patch out songs from previous GTA games because the licenses expired and they couldn't be bothered to renew them. It was notoriously bad for tv shows with dvd/streaming releases because the license to include a song for an over-the-air-broadcast episode is different from one for home media/streaming. Shows like Daria decided to just cut out all the licensed songs, sometimes they replace it with a soundalike (happened with the intro themes to Married with Children and Donald Trump's The Apprentice amusingly enough). Murphy Brown no longer exists because they used a ton of motown throughout the series (live by the libcringe, die by the libcringe).
Last edited by Roguey on March 20th, 2024, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.
logincrash

Post by logincrash »

Vergil wrote: March 20th, 2024, 16:37
Could you call Citizen Kane a good movie if it was presented as a powerpoint presentation with audio from a chinese blutooth speaker?
Yes. The essence of what the game/story is can transcend (forgive my farthuffing) its technical presentation if it's good/bad enough.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

I did have some technical issues when I played but the game was more than fun enough to make up for it: viewtopic.php?t=310-alpha-protocol-spy-arpg
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Vergil wrote: March 20th, 2024, 16:37
it's a good game.
myriad of bugs and the average FPS of 15
Spoken like someone who has never watched Advent Children in an embedded 140p 4"x3" player with no maximize button.
Element

Post by Element »

Torrented it.
Wanna try and give it an 'evil' playthrough some time, to see if Avellone managed to make something out of it
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

I remember playing it and trying to larp as Big Boss which didn't seem to go so well. I remember there being some extremely light controversy due to a female on male rape scene that can happen too.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

Vergil wrote: March 21st, 2024, 11:08
I remember playing it and trying to larp as Big Boss which didn't seem to go so well. I remember there being some extremely light controversy due to a female on male rape scene that can happen too.
It's not rape, it's your choice whether it happens or not.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

It's one of the greatest action RPGs ever made, the story and writing are great.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

This hacking minigame is giving me the runs. But everything else is going great.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

game kinda pissed me off

except for one mission, I always wore only the normal person clothes instead of the high speed low drag operator shit and nobody ever acknowledged it

that one mission they specifically said was going to be an infiltration stealth mission so i put on a stealth suit. Mission starts, cut to my retard standing on a train station platform wearing an armored scuba suit or whatever with a shotgun on his back. Chink general dude walks up to him and says "why the fuck are you dressed like that, are you a moron"

that pissed me off so much

also i got a bad ending, everyone was dead and no gf
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

The_Mask wrote: March 21st, 2024, 16:48
This hacking minigame is giving me the runs. But everything else is going great.
I remember it being completely fucked on m+kb and stockpiling the hacking items to bypass it.