We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Game Overs that make you not want to game over.

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Game Overs that make you not want to game over.

Post by Tweed »

Nearly all games have a fail state and then you reload. Some games have a fail state so shocking that you'd do anything not to see them.

Childhood nightmares courtesy of Tecmo.
► Show Spoiler
Another classic that scared countless 80s kids shitless.
► Show Spoiler
And another from Nintendo that I found to be very unpleasant.
► Show Spoiler
What about you? What game overs haunt you?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Going to guess that one nu-tomb raider where the dev put his gore fetish in the game over scenes.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Might not have been this exact game, but one of the Mortal Kombat spike pit fatalities used to spook me

Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Oyster Sauce wrote: March 15th, 2024, 16:48
Might not have been this exact game, but one of the Mortal Kombat spike pit fatalities used to spook me

Speaking of Mortal Kombat, the death traps from Armageddon's Konquest mode were pretty unpleasant for me back in the day.

Xenich

Post by Xenich »

I always preferred the symbolic over the literal in such things. Then again, I am the same way about sex in a movie. A proper setup and cut to black I found more appealing than literally showing me all the details and trying to hide it behind some concept of artistic expression.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Xenich wrote: March 15th, 2024, 17:07
I always preferred the symbolic over the literal in such things. Then again, I am the same way about sex in a movie. A proper setup and cut to black I found more appealing than literally showing me all the details and trying to hide it behind some concept of artistic expression.
Woah, check out the philosopher king over here. Thanks for stopping by.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Tweed wrote: March 15th, 2024, 17:35
Just be happy there wasn't an entire extra paragraph of lorem ipsum attached to the post. He's learning.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

*tears begin to well*

Please don't make me run off to the safe space forum. :sarc:
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Vergil wrote: March 15th, 2024, 17:38
Just be happy there wasn't an entire extra paragraph of lorem ipsum attached to the post. He's learning.
Yeah, because then gay boy has to pull out the dictionary to keep up. Fitting, I mean I have to when you start speaking in slang.
Anon

Post by Anon »

Xenich wrote: March 15th, 2024, 17:48
*tears begin to well*

Please don't make me run off to the safe space forum. :sarc:
You post here like as if you're playing a MUD, I can respect that
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Switch the default avatar to Astarion rolling his eyes, that'll show him
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Oyster Sauce wrote: March 15th, 2024, 18:08
Switch the default avatar to Astarion rolling his eyes, that'll show him
You say that as if I don't have an extensive library of even more obnoxious Astarion gifs to switch to at the drop of a hat. :goldfish: