We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
Konjad

I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream

Post by Konjad »

I started playing it and so far I enjoy it. The story is about an AI that wiped out all of humanity except for a few people which it made immortal just to torture them eternally, but after over one hundred years they get a chance to hope to commit suicide...

So far I have completed Gorrister's and Ellen's paths. I liked Gorrister's story a lot. Ellen's was rather mediocre, and she is constantly cracking jokes which completely does not fit the story about an eternal torment. Also got a bit stuck with her point-and-click "riddles". Overall though the game seems decent so far and I'm glad I have finally gave it a try after having it in the Steam backlog for so long. I thought I won't enjoy it as I don't like point-and-click adventure games in general, but I was wrong.

The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

Is her cracking jokes in character, or it doesn't make sense on that level either?
Konjad

Post by Konjad »

It seems completely out of place considering the theme of the game. There's not really enough character to speak of though either. She is Mary Sue...
Last edited by Konjad on March 14th, 2024, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

I think you have to remember they've been in this situation for 108 years and have started to become desensitized to a lot of AM's basic fuckery. She does still break down when an apparition of her rapist comes up but her little character arc is about overcoming that trauma so there's an argument to be made that she's been toughened from prior situations to the point where even her most severe trauma and torment is now surmountable.
Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

Make sure to read the short story.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Harlan Ellison is severely overrated and he wasn't as smart as he thought he was.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Acrux wrote: March 14th, 2024, 20:41
Harlan Ellison is severely overrated and he wasn't as smart as he thought he was.
He's also an insufferable libs and was a rabid IP fag
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

This is true and the best thing about the short story is it resulting in the creation of this game.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Nammu Archag wrote: March 14th, 2024, 20:48
I have bad news about his ethnoreligious group. :Inspector:
madbringer
Turtle
Turtle

Post by madbringer »

Irenaeus wrote: March 15th, 2024, 00:50
Nammu Archag wrote: March 14th, 2024, 20:48
I have bad news about his ethnoreligious group. :Inspector:
Unsurprisingly, when he wrote Star Trek, he wrote the shittiest episodes that strayed from the original template to be "edgy". Guy's a hack, fuck him n fuck his crap. An AI that murdered everyone but gives a shit about a few dead jews, ye right.
Humbaba

Post by Humbaba »

It may please you to hear then that he's been dead for years and no one cared much.

-Humbaba
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Gotta say though being an ugly disgusting misanthropic kike made him the perfect person to portray the ominicidal life eradicating soulless computer in the game.
Konjad

Post by Konjad »

The game is divided into 5 different characters playable in any sequence. I found their mental states different but not all fitting the theme of the game. Some seem too cheerful, and moreover after an age of suffering their main traumas are still ones from the life they had long time ago before being enslaved by an AI. After such a long time full of physical and mental torture I'd rather expect them to forget the past and go completely insane, but instead they are now 'facing their fears' coming from normal life 110+ years ago...

The gameplay is a classic point-and-click adventure game and I must say I tend to dislike such games because very often they resolve to pixel hunting and guessing what the developer wanted you to do. In this case you also have to do it in the correct order usually, because otherwise you might kinda lock yourself or at least have to go back to click everything again, because you clicked X first and then Y, but X was supposed to be clicked after Y and didn't give you an item or response you have to get, and nothing tells you that, you only realize it after you get stuck and re-click everything... it can be frustrating. At least the game is short so it ends before geting too exasperating.

The audiovisuals are surprisingly good despite their age. I enjoyed the aesthetics of environments a lot, as well as voice overs in general, although not all of them fit very well. It certainly is worth a recommendation for those who enjoy point-and-click and are immune to their drawbacks. I think it's also worth giving a try if you enjoy decent enough but flawed stories, but do not expect a pleasant gameplay, it's the weakest part of this game. In the end I'd say I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream ends up being average, mostly being held back by its lackluster and confusing gameplay and storyline not being extensively thought-through.

BobT

Post by BobT »

You do good reviews @Konjad
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Shame about all the cuts they ended up having to make to the final product.