We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

A collection of Homebrew and Houserules for Pathfinder 1E, complete with commissioned art!

For all your tabletop & board game needs.
Bah! They don't even play at physical tabletops anymore.
nielspeterdejong

A collection of Homebrew and Houserules for Pathfinder 1E, complete with commissioned art!

Post by nielspeterdejong »

Hello everyone,

As someone who started playing D&D 3rd edition way back when I was a kid, I had gotten into homebrewing early as I wanted to fine tune the mostly amazing game that is D&D 3.5 and Pathfinder 1E (which is just rebranded D&D 3.5, or at least 99% the same). The past few years I started making homebrew for D&D 5E for friends of mine, which I later fleshed out into an actual kickstarter: Here is a sample of some of the content:

However, after finishing it up, I felt I had enough experience to finally fleshen out some content ideas and optional rules ideas that I had build up for Pathfinder 1E aka D&D 3.5, and combined all of that together with the houserules that my rules used and which enhanced the experience even further. I combined it all into an 8 page PDF, where I also added some artworks that I commissioned artists for to make for me, just to add that extra little flavor to it all :)

For those still playing Pathfinder 1E, I hope that you will find something you might find useful within this document, which is mostly just things that allow for more options and meant to make less updated contents which have sadly been forgotten more on par with the later additions to this great system. And in which case I hope that you'll have fun using it in the future!

Link to the PDF:

Tags:
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Vergil wrote: March 13th, 2024, 13:58
@rusty_shackleford Do I have to pay to advertise on here or can I just start running my own ads like this?
On-topic advertising is completely fine.
Anon

Post by Anon »

@rusty_shackleford Do I have to pay to advertise on here or can I just start running my own ads like this?
Don't expect us to be buying your sex tapes with @Slavic Sorcerer tho
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Anon wrote: March 13th, 2024, 14:34
Says the person with a bear avatar :read:
Anon

Post by Anon »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 13th, 2024, 14:30
On-topic advertising is completely fine.
Hey @Red7 don't forget to announce your cumbuckets when you develop more of them
Slavic Sorcerer

Post by Slavic Sorcerer »

Vergil wrote: March 13th, 2024, 14:53
Anon wrote: March 13th, 2024, 14:34
Says the person with a bear avatar :read:
Why the fuck do I have to deny the accusation of us having sex? :notsureif:
Why did you not deny it? :notsureif:
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Xenich wrote: March 13th, 2024, 20:00
rusty_shackleford wrote: March 13th, 2024, 19:57
We have embedded pdf view?
Wtf
Another site security guy just died right now.
Apparently it's just an extension of the google drive embed, don't think I've seen anyone use it to link PDFs before but that's kinda neat I guess.
BobT

Post by BobT »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 13th, 2024, 19:57
We have embedded pdf view?
Wtf
Hahaha fucking hell, Rusty.
You're meant to say "and look at how well the PDF view works that I implemented. Isn't my forum great!"
nielspeterdejong

She is an Sapphire Half Dragon with my Way of the Weave subclass for the 5E Monk :) The class is also part of my 150 page book, which was a huge passion project that consumed a lot of my time. However, I had the help of around 500 playtesters who played with my content in their groups over the years, to help balance things out.

I don't think I will do something like this ever again, but I'm glad that I did so :) I still have a few spare books left if you are interested.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Congrats on getting your project funded, OP. The art style isn't to my taste, my favorite D&D artist remains Larry Elmore, but I'm glad your project got the funding.
I'm always surprised at how basically every tabletop RPG I see on Kickstarter gets funded.
I suppose it's because I'm only used to the video game aspect of it and after so many failed video game kickstarters the potential customers(for video games) are rarely interested in putting money into one again.
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

nielspeterdejong wrote: March 15th, 2024, 18:11
She is an Sapphire Half Dragon with my Way of the Weave subclass for the 5E Monk :) The class is also part of my 150 page book, which was a huge passion project that consumed a lot of my time. However, I had the help of around 500 playtesters who played with my content in their groups over the years, to help balance things out.

I don't think I will do something like this ever again, but I'm glad that I did so :) I still have a few spare books left if you are interested.
Ah, I meant is that a lightsaber?
nielspeterdejong

ArcaneLurker wrote: March 15th, 2024, 18:23
nielspeterdejong wrote: March 15th, 2024, 18:11

Ah, I meant is that a lightsaber?
Actually it's an "Arcane Saber" tm :) But yes, it's a magical device that the Way of the Weave monk channels his magic through, thanks to his connection to the Weave. They are basically Dungeons & Dragons Jedi :)
nielspeterdejong

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 15th, 2024, 18:18
Congrats on getting your project funded, OP. The art style isn't to my taste, my favorite D&D artist remains Larry Elmore, but I'm glad your project got the funding.
I'm always surprised at how basically every tabletop RPG I see on Kickstarter gets funded.
I suppose it's because I'm only used to the video game aspect of it and after so many failed video game kickstarters the potential customers(for video games) are rarely interested in putting money into one again.
Yeah I love his art as well. Old school D&D art like that is just priceless :)

I went with a more "anime" kind of artstyle due to how that medium inspired me in several ways as well. But I like a lot of artstyles myself. And thank you for your compliment, I'm quite happy that it was funded as well!

And the tabletop side of it has been doing rather well up until now, because of how Wizard of the Coast fails to deliver good content in these past few years. Largely because they focused more on "inclusivity and diversity" instead of actually hiring fans who loved the hobby and had a passion to make more stuff. But because those people had the wrong skincolor and/or sex, they weren't hired.

Inclusivity means exclusion to them, and diversity means "no whites" to them. Which is sad as the ones pushing it are often whites themselves (or they are jewish), and they hope that they will simply be eaten last.

But enough of the gloom, I'm happy that you and others liked my content for Pathfinder 1E, and you are all free to use it as you see fit :)
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 15th, 2024, 18:18
This is in no way directed at OP, but my experience on /tg/ and in the roleplayingsphere tells me that many players, perhaps most, do not actually care whether an RPG is functional or not. I don't know if it was always like this, but players today seem to be far more invested in settings and concepts, or just the idea of having a totally rad campaign in a system that aesthetically appeals to them—in other words, style over substance. It's similar with published adventures. They've come to be written like miniature fantasy novels for would-be GMs who will never actually run them, which is why they no longer organize information in a useful fashion but instead lay it out like a chronological narrative.
nielspeterdejong

I honestly can see that, honestly what I love about Pathfinder 1E and D&D 3.5 is how realistic and detailed the rules are.

In the past, mostly boys would play it, even while we were open to having girls play with us into our games. Though boys seemed more interested in the statistics of swords and what not, while girls seemed more interested in backgrounds. I think the inclusion of many girls who felt like the hobby should be adjusted to them had an impact, but in many ways it was also a cultural thing I think. Where us old school nerds were brushed aside.

I think many of the people who came were "tourists" in a sense, because in the past us nerds were pretty much outcasts who had to keep our hobby a secret. Now it is more mainstream, but that also means that people with less passion or a different outlook entered and influenced it. However, the core still seems to be people like me, who want to have fun adventures, and who are driven away from Wizards of the Coast and what not. I still play Pathfinder 1E, because I absolutely love the combat! I love to roleplay, and using skills, but the combat with the mats and what not is just so well detailed and thought out! It's that old school detailed and gritty gameplay that I love so much. Pathfinder 1E and D&D 3.5 in general can be ruthless, and it is easy for you to lose your character, especially when the DM (like ours) uses crit hit card decks, for both players and monsters. Every action you do in a turn can have consequences, and you need to take it very serious, as it is far less forgiving than D&D 5E.

But back to "modern day companies" cathering to the "new crowd", and basically taking a piss at the creators (the lead designer for Wizards of the Coast aka WoTC recently said that he regretted that the original creators of the game were "a bunch of white guys", and that their game would not pass the "inclusivity standards of today", by which he means that in this day and age their work would be censored, but he doesn't realize that his work was successful because it iddn't try to please losers like him, who have a job thanks to the groundwork they laid out for him and for everyone else who loves roleplaying games as a hobby).

This is also WoTC's its downfall: Because if you want to make a product for "everyone", you end up making it for no one.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

nielspeterdejong wrote: March 15th, 2024, 19:06
In the past, mostly boys would play it, even while we were open to having girls play with us into our games. Though boys seemed more interested in the statistics of swords and what not, while girls seemed more interested in backgrounds. I think the inclusion of many girls who felt like the hobby should be adjusted to them had an impact, but in many ways it was also a cultural thing I think. Where us old school nerds were brushed aside.
Gygax discussed this years back, that the only way to get women into the hobby was to make it no longer D&D but theater, live action roleplaying. His opinion was disregarded, yet it came to fruition.
They've also created the issue that women don't buy the products because those aren't what interests them. You could sell endless supplements to males, but females aren't playing the game for the warfare, statistics, etc., They're just playing pretend. 2E's "Player Options" books would be a complete flop now, for example.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Looks pretty cool. Love stuff that adds new fleshed-out races (that fit the world) as it gives me more variety and more people to be racist and condescending to
Last edited by Nammu Archag on March 15th, 2024, 19:47, edited 1 time in total.
nielspeterdejong

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 15th, 2024, 19:14
nielspeterdejong wrote: March 15th, 2024, 19:06
Gygax discussed this years back, that the only way to get women into the hobby was to make it no longer D&D but theater, live action roleplaying. His opinion was disregarded, yet it came to fruition.
They've also created the issue that women don't buy the products because those aren't what interests them. You could sell endless supplements to males, but females aren't playing the game for the warfare, statistics, etc., They're just playing pretend. 2E's "Player Options" books would be a complete flop now, for example.
Yeah I remember that. Redditors and other marxist minded "intellectuals" call him a "sexist" merely for stating the facts. I had a conversation with an "old school player" who believed that all the gatekeeping accusations and the "orcs are based on black people" accusations are true because "you have to listen to others for new perspectives". He also talked about how some groups shunned girls, but it sounded more like those specific groups just wanted to have a way to play with the guys so to speak, similar to how you have "girl groups" hanging out. He also ignored the comments of other old school players who stated that they were open to that, as those were white men so their statements had less value than vague statements from modern day feminist women who never experienced actual hardship.

But yeah, I agree, similar to all the Pathfinder 1E books and short Pathfinder Player Companion books that had a lot of lore, but also had a ton of content such as new items/traits/feats/alternate race traits etc. That is why I love Pathfinder 1E so much (which is basically 99% D&D 3.5, just rebranded), similar to how I think many people love D&D 2E: It is actually Dungeons & Dragons, with all the number crunching and combat that requires positioning and tactics a lot. Modern day roleplaying, is just too much theatrics and not enough old school dice rolling and number crunching.
nielspeterdejong

Nammu Archag wrote: March 15th, 2024, 19:46
Looks pretty cool. Love stuff that adds new fleshed-out races (that fit the world) as it gives me more variety and more people to be racist and condescending to
Glad to hear it :) And I think Dwarf Shaman and High Elf Archer would approve!