We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

(My friend mass effect original mod request ) urz mod

Do you want to add big tiddies to a game but don't know how? Ask someone else to do it for you!
Narutomaster700

(My friend mass effect original mod request ) urz mod

Post by Narutomaster700 »

My friend wanted to make a request, does anyone have a urz on the Normandy mod by giftfish , my friend searched all over reddit but the OneDrive doesn't work for him or me.
Last edited by Narutomaster700 on March 10th, 2024, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.

Tags:
loregamer

Post by loregamer »

The person who made that mod is a bitch who removed all their mods because of fears people would make ports and patches. Nothing of value was lost. There are some alternative mods up on Nexus that do the same things but better no?
Last edited by loregamer on March 10th, 2024, 22:01, edited 1 time in total.
Narutomaster700

for the og mass effect 3, there is a uz mod but it's very complicated to mod it in and I was trying to the urz mod by giftfish but sadly couldn't find it.
Last edited by Narutomaster700 on March 10th, 2024, 22:02, edited 1 time in total.
loregamer

Post by loregamer »

God I just re-read that wordpress "she" wrote. So goddamn infuriating lol. Modding community is due for a schism.

I think if you can find an archive of the original Nexus page, though, then you can just use the direct download links and it should work. Nexus doesn't let you fully nuke your mods anymore.
Last edited by loregamer on March 10th, 2024, 22:04, edited 1 time in total.
Narutomaster700

that's what I did earlier and the archive keeps saying mod deleted over and over again lol.
BobT

Post by BobT »

loregamer wrote: March 10th, 2024, 21:56
The person who made that mod is a bitch who removed all their mods because of fears people would make ports and patches. Nothing of value was lost. There are some alternative mods up on Nexus that do the same things but better no?
"Stay safe, everyone… and get vaccinated."

Wow...

And yes what a fucking bitch. I'm an advocate for free and open modding, too. It's not like you "own" anything anyway, and mods can be greatly improved via collaborative effort. It also resolves situations where modders just disappear and stop supporting something. Give FULL accreditation and there should be no problem.
If you want to be such an arse that you want to sit on and "own" what you've published, then why bother sharing it at all? As long as always get recognition for the work you HAVE done, then wtfs the problem?
Sure people can make cheapcrap chink-style amazon copies of stuff, but as long as they fully credit the original author and state honestly what changes are theirs ("I just tweaked the eyebrows, the rest is the original author's), then again, wtfs the problem?
Even if YOU don't agree with something THEY have done, as long as they've clearly stated it's THEM that's made THAT change to YOUR work, again, nothing to do with you.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

loregamer wrote: March 10th, 2024, 22:03
God I just re-read that wordpress "she" wrote. So goddamn infuriating lol. Modding community is due for a schism.

I think if you can find an archive of the original Nexus page, though, then you can just use the direct download links and it should work. Nexus doesn't let you fully nuke your mods anymore.
"our exclusive right"
"infringement"

:trash:

Nearly all video game mods are prima facie copyright infringement. There are no rights to be infringed upon.
But to further entertain the argument put forth, it's still not valid. What he's describing is essentially re-implementation of his mod, which is entirely legal. Clean room re-implementation is the most extreme case, but not legally required(Sony v. Connectix)

e.g., Take Two DMCA'd the San Andreas reverse engineered project on Github, which was reinstated after a counterclaim. Take Two took them to court but eventually settled with them, presumably not in their favor.
https://www.pcgamer.com/take-two-dismis ... o-modders/
BobT

Post by BobT »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 11th, 2024, 00:49

"our exclusive right"
"infringement"

:trash:

Nearly all video game mods are prima facie copyright infringement. There are no rights to be infringed upon.
But to further entertain the argument put forth, it's still not valid. What he's describing is essentially re-implementation of his mod, which is entirely legal. Clean room re-implementation is the most extreme case, but not legally required(Sony v. Connectix)

e.g., Take Two DMCA'd the San Andreas reverse engineered project on Github, which was reinstated after a counterclaim. Take Two took them to court but eventually settled with them, presumably not in their favor.
https://www.pcgamer.com/take-two-dismis ... o-modders/
Indeed. Even if it's wholly their OWN work (no original game assets used whatsoever), they still don't have any "right" to prevent it being copied anyway do they? (Especially if full accreditation is given).
In the ongoing case where those "artists" are suing the AI platforms, Sarah Anderson had most of her copyright claims thrown out because she'd not actually filed for copyright on all but a handful of her work. ONLY on the ones that she had done so, did they permit to go forward for further judgement.
I doubt many modders will bother with filing for full copyright, even if they actually had the right to do so.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

BobT wrote: March 11th, 2024, 01:09
Indeed. Even if it's wholly their OWN work (no original game assets used whatsoever), they still don't have any "right" to prevent it being copied anyway do they? (Especially if full accreditation is given).
Yes, conveniently I just touched upon this topic on NexusMods.
The difference is the developer(or publisher) owns the IP, nearly all mods are copyright infringement.
The new elements of the infringing derivative are therefore public domain material (17 U.S.C § 103), and the rights to the preexisting elements are retained by the original IP holder.
Therefore it would only be the developer/publisher that gets to dictate permissions, not the modder.

In nearly all cases, modders do not have ANY rights over their mods. NexusMods giving modders the idea otherwise is stupid.
[edit]
Woops, I misread. Still relevant so I'll keep it here.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on March 11th, 2024, 01:14, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

In the ongoing case where those "artists" are suing the AI platforms, Sarah Anderson had most of her copyright claims thrown out because she'd not actually filed for copyright on all but a handful of her work. ONLY on the ones that she had done so, did they permit to go forward for further judgement.
Copyright is automatic, at least under US law. Has been for a while now.
A quick search doesn't suggest this is why it was thrown out. I'm not going to dig deeper into this as it's going off-topic, but my assumption is that it's because the output of ML AIs are not derivative but transformative. We have an AI legal thread in the technology forum if you want to continue this there.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on March 11th, 2024, 01:20, edited 1 time in total.
BobT

Post by BobT »

Yup. Even where it's wholly their own work (such as a completely new map or whatever, and even then companies like Blizzard have written it into the terms that they own those too), unless somehow copyrighted the only "right" I think they have is to request they're fully credited, and even that isn't a "right", just a plea to follow good practice (which I agree with).

If people don't want their content shared around and they want "sole" everything of it, they shouldn't share it on the internet in the first place. The whole point of sharing a mod is for gamers to enjoy it. So why wouldn't you want them to enjoy a fixed, changed or improved version? (as long as you're fully credited for the work you have done, and not have someone else "pass off" your work as their own).

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 11th, 2024, 01:18
Copyright is automatic, at least under US law. Has been for a while now.
A quick search doesn't suggest this is why it was thrown out. I'm not going to dig deeper into this as it's going off-topic, but my assumption is that it's because the output of ML AIs are not derivative but transformative. We have an AI legal thread in the technology forum if you want to continue this there.
Seems they need to "register" it tho for it to be valid?
Motions to Dismiss: The court granted the defendants' motions to dismiss, based on the plaintiffs' failure to register their works with the US Copyright Office, a prerequisite for filing an infringement suit.

Importance of Copyright Registration: The ruling underscores the necessity for artists to register their works with the Copyright Office before pursuing infringement litigation.
https://www.legal.io/articles/5455194/F ... -Platforms

They can apparently continue the claim (which may still be unsuccessful) for the works registered, but in her case, those were apparently few.
Last edited by BobT on March 11th, 2024, 01:26, edited 1 time in total.
Narutomaster700

that's what I did earlier and the archive keeps saying mod deleted over and over again lol.
loregamer

Post by loregamer »

Narutomaster700 wrote: March 11th, 2024, 02:33
I did some digging for you. They are out there. Make a reddit account and PM this guy. He had a MEGA folder with all the mods archived, but it looks like it's not there anymore. He's still active so if you ask nicely I'm sure he can reupload. Also there was a modpiracy2 thread that was up with everyting archived, but that subreddit got banned. You'll probably have to start asking around instead of just looking, though.

I would suggest just not bothering, though. Mods like Project Variety do everything those mods did but better haha.

[Edit] The drownedmods discord and website would be good places to ask, too.
Last edited by loregamer on March 11th, 2024, 02:44, edited 2 times in total.
Anon

Post by Anon »

"Narutomaster700"

That's the most newfag name I've ever seen, kudos to you
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

If I understand correctly, isn't this effectively the same mod?
https://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect3/mods/259/

If so, the irony is hilarious considering it predates the Urz mod.
Narutomaster700

loregamer wrote: March 11th, 2024, 02:41
Narutomaster700 wrote: March 11th, 2024, 02:33
I did some digging for you. They are out there. Make a reddit account and PM this guy. He had a MEGA folder with all the mods archived, but it looks like it's not there anymore. He's still active so if you ask nicely I'm sure he can reupload. Also there was a modpiracy2 thread that was up with everyting archived, but that subreddit got banned. You'll probably have to start asking around instead of just looking, though.

I would suggest just not bothering, though. Mods like Project Variety do everything those mods did but better haha.

[Edit] The drownedmods discord and website would be good places to ask, too.
welp I tried pm him, It wouldn't let me and the discord website, I am checking it out right now but hopefully someone sends the mod here in the future just in case someone needs it.
Last edited by Narutomaster700 on March 11th, 2024, 03:02, edited 1 time in total.
Narutomaster700

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 11th, 2024, 02:59
If I understand correctly, isn't this effectively the same mod?
https://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect3/mods/259/

If so, the irony is hilarious considering it predates the Urz mod.

You have to do extra with that mod, I tried using that mod, it didn't work out so well.