We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Knights of the Old Republic

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

I'm well aware but the decision to make the Exile canon female originally comes from "The New Essential Guide to Droids" where the Exile is given female pronouns which was ultimately at the choice of Bioware. The character was then even further ruined by SWTOR a few years later. (which are both things that were at the choice of bioware and nobody involved with the story of TSL, as I originally stated).
I'm not sure what about my original statement is mutually exclusive with them appearing in SWTOR either... :scratch:
ArcaneLurker wrote: March 10th, 2024, 18:22
Vergil wrote: March 10th, 2024, 17:57
How do you guys feel about the KOTOR era mandalorian armor? I used to think it was really cool but over the years I've kinda turned against it. The extremely tiny face plate looks kind of goofy to me now.
I like it although the "tiny faces" are like a protrusion in the helmet, it's a unique design choice. I did think the same as you until I messed around with a head reference in photoshop, seeing how the design could potentially work.

Kind of reminds me of this.
Oh I know it's totally functional I just think that visually it looks kind of weird and not intimidating at all compared to movie style mandalorian armor.
Last edited by Vergil on March 10th, 2024, 18:39, edited 3 times in total.

Tags:
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Vergil wrote: March 10th, 2024, 18:36
I'm well aware but the decision to make the Exile canon female originally comes from "The New Essential Guide to Droids" where the Exile is given female pronouns which was ultimately at the choice of Bioware. The character was then even further ruined by SWTOR a few years later. (which are both things that were at the choice of bioware and nobody involved with the story of TSL, as I originally stated).
I'm not sure what about my original statement is mutually exclusive with them appearing in SWTOR either... :scratch:
ArcaneLurker wrote: March 10th, 2024, 18:22
Vergil wrote: March 10th, 2024, 17:57
How do you guys feel about the KOTOR era mandalorian armor? I used to think it was really cool but over the years I've kinda turned against it. The extremely tiny face plate looks kind of goofy to me now.
I like it although the "tiny faces" are like a protrusion in the helmet, it's a unique design choice. I did think the same as you until I messed around with a head reference in photoshop, seeing how the design could potentially work.

Kind of reminds me of this.
Oh I know it's totally functional I just think that visually it looks kind of weird and not intimidating at all compared to movie style mandalorian armor.
looks like the exile being female was established by lucasarts, not bioware, tho
https://www.ebay.com/itm/155575671101?chn=ps

this predates swtor by a few years
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 10th, 2024, 18:43
this predates swtor by a few years
You know what else predates SWTOR (and that figure)?
Again I'm not seeing what about my posts you're taking issue with or that I got wrong? I never claimed the Exile being canon was established by SWTOR either.
The point is that the Exile being canon female was a decision not made by any of the people involved in Knights of the Old Republic II (in fact the original trailer narration uses male pronouns and most pre-release material primarily focuses on the male Exile) and Bioware's severe butchering of the plot/characters from TSL in SWTOR makes me not too keen to give their version of what's "canon" to that game much credence.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Didn't Revan+Exile get shockingly betrayed by their most trusted ally, Lord Scourge Wormtongue Rottenheart and tortured for 100 years in whatever shitty TORMMO canon?
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Oyster Sauce wrote: March 10th, 2024, 19:08
Didn't Revan+Exile get shockingly betrayed by their most trusted ally, Lord Scourge Wormtongue Rottenheart and tortured for 100 years in whatever shitty TORMMO canon?
Pretty much. The Exile basically does nothing but job hard in the backstory and be utterly inconsequential whilst Revan becomes a shitty raid boss (and then a shitty raid boss again for an expansion).
gastovski

Post by gastovski »

Oyster Sauce wrote: March 10th, 2024, 19:08
Actually he was in captivity for 300 years until our heroes rescue or kill (he slips away) him depending on the side
Last edited by gastovski on March 10th, 2024, 22:13, edited 1 time in total.
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

I remember hearing a lot of acclaim for KotoR and decided to check it out... it was utterly dull. Story wise, I can't recall any characters or what was going on. The gameplay was thoroughly unengaging. Combat was MMO autoattacking at early levels but somehow more boring. I dropped shortly after the "3, 2, 1" scene at the bar where he shoots a guy blocking the exit.

SWTOR was a little more engaging, but I wasn't into the aesthetic. Everyone looked like plastic action figures, and the engine was janky.

I think another issue I had with the "Old Republic" series (actually all Star Wars stuff made after RotS) is that it is visually unimaginative. It's supposed to be set thousands of years before the Lucas films, but it just looks like the Lucas films (specifically the prequel trilogy). These game coulds have been set during the Clone Wars and I wouldn't have known the difference. If you're going to be "thousands" of years in the past, then actually do it. Would've been nice if you got to see a time before people were running around with Lightsabers, before Coruscant was a fully developed planet city, before there was a galaxy spanning Republic, before hyper drives were so developed that people could zoom across the galaxy in hours, etc.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Val the Moofia Boss wrote: March 12th, 2024, 00:09
The gameplay was thoroughly unengaging. Combat was MMO autoattacking at early levels but somehow more boring.
SWTOR was a little more engaging
:|
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

The gameplay was thoroughly unengaging. Combat was MMO autoattacking at early levels but somehow more boring.
This is probably how I would feel about it now if I replayed, so I don't. I refuse to tarnish the special place in my heart KotOR has.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

If you replayed it you would probably at least be smart enough to make it out of the first 20 minutes of Taris before writing off the game's combat entirely.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Vergil wrote: March 12th, 2024, 03:48
If you replayed it you would probably at least be smart enough to make it out of the first 20 minutes of Taris before writing off the game's combat entirely.
I distinctly remember turning on a couple buffs and autoattacking the final boss to death while completely ignoring his healing gimmick, so I don't think first 20 minutes or last 20 minutes would make much of a difference.
Last edited by WhiteShark on March 12th, 2024, 03:52, edited 1 time in total.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

WhiteShark wrote: March 12th, 2024, 03:51
so I don't think first 20 minutes or last 20 minutes would make much of a difference.
I think having full access to the game's weapon types, companions, and force powers would at least somewhat alter your gameplay options compared to the starter pistol/sword and Carth on Taris.
loregamer

Post by loregamer »

I tried downloading this on my Steam Deck and playing it on a 17 hour flight only to realize I didn't set it up properly.

But am I too zoomer to find this game enjoyable anyway?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

loregamer wrote: March 12th, 2024, 15:48
I tried downloading this on my Steam Deck and playing it on a 17 hour flight only to realize I didn't set it up properly.

KOTOR fits in a weird area of RPGs where it only really appeals to explorationfags(the best fags). Kotor2 stole the storyfags, the combat isn't all that great, and there's no homo content for fagfags.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on March 12th, 2024, 15:55, edited 3 times in total.
loregamer

Post by loregamer »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 12th, 2024, 15:52

KOTOR fits in a weird area of RPGs where it only really appeals to explorationfags(the best fags). Kotor2 stole the storyfags, the combat isn't all that great, and there's no homo content for fagfags.
Installing KOTOR2, thank you for the insight
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

If you didn't find doing things like using the various force powers to mass electrocute enemies fun you should get your T levels checked.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

The only thing Jade Empire had going for it was the story (and one particular aspect of the story, at that). It's a watered-down KOTOR otherwise.
Last edited by Acrux on March 12th, 2024, 16:19, edited 1 time in total.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

loregamer wrote: March 12th, 2024, 15:57
For all that I've said so far in the thread, if you're interested in the series, I'd still at least try 1.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

ArcaneLurker wrote: March 12th, 2024, 16:05
@Vergil What do you think of Jade Empire?
I never played Jade Empire. I've been mildly interested to try it but I'm just not keen on chinese stuff so it never really grabbed me.
Element

Post by Element »

loregamer wrote: March 12th, 2024, 15:57
rusty_shackleford wrote: March 12th, 2024, 15:52

Get the restored content mod as well, TSLRCM. Its the top rated in the workshop.
Last edited by Element on March 12th, 2024, 16:20, edited 1 time in total.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

I played KOTOR 1 on mobile like 10 years ago and it was a pretty flawless experience. Even modded it a bit to hide the godawful KOTOR head gear.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

It's kind of funny how hard SWTOR fumbled the bag twice. They took the original concept for the True Sith and turned them from eldritch beings of power who can do all sorts of freaky stuff with the force into the same generic Empire from KOTOR 1 (but with ugly faux stormtrooper armor and sometimes they have red skin) and the Sith Emperor is just a Palpatine clone down to being obsessed with immortality and body switching autism. This culminates in basically just returning things to the status quo of KOTOR 1 with a Republic vs Empire war. Until the expansion where there was actually ANOTHER super secret dangerous Empire for real this time (led by the same guy) that deus ex machinas their way into taking over everything in the galaxy and then afterwards everything is wrapped up and made totally inconsequential as they go back to the generic status quo Republic vs Empire war.
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

Acrux wrote: March 12th, 2024, 16:07
The only thing Jade Empire had going for it was the story (and one particular aspect of the story, at that). It's a watered-down KOTOR otherwise.
I can't deny that, except Combat is more action orientated too.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

With the remaster dead and yidsney scorching the EU I wonder what future The Old Republic era has.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

The in game economy of SWTOR is so fundamentally broken it's hilarious. Things like dyes go for BILLIONS of credits in the auction house. Last time I played a pair of gloves from the real cash shop was worth 3mil credits now it's multiple billions. F2P players have a credit limit of one million too.
Nooneatall

Post by Nooneatall »

Vergil wrote: March 12th, 2024, 16:56
It's kind of funny how hard SWTOR fumbled the bag twice. They took the original concept for the True Sith and turned them from eldritch beings of power who can do all sorts of freaky stuff with the force into the same generic Empire from KOTOR 1 (but with ugly faux stormtrooper armor and sometimes they have red skin) and the Sith Emperor is just a Palpatine clone down to being obsessed with immortality and body switching autism. This culminates in basically just returning things to the status quo of KOTOR 1 with a Republic vs Empire war. Until the expansion where there was actually ANOTHER super secret dangerous Empire for real this time (led by the same guy) that deus ex machinas their way into taking over everything in the galaxy and then afterwards everything is wrapped up and made totally inconsequential as they go back to the generic status quo Republic vs Empire war.
Empire bad is easy to write, easy to digest, and you can use it in almost any situation. People are too retarded for nuance
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Vergil wrote: March 12th, 2024, 16:56
into the same generic Empire from KOTOR 1 (but with ugly faux stormtrooper armor and sometimes they have red skin) and the Sith Emperor is just a Palpatine clone down to being obsessed with immortality and body switching autism
KOTOR1 was already plenty disappointing. BioWare got to move the setting thousands of years into the past, yet we're still stuck with Jedi vs Sith, Republic vs Empire, discount Star Destroyers, Stormtroopers, Death Stars et al.

They could have done pretty much anything with the setting, and yet they choose to shit out an inferior, cookie-cutter clone of the original.

If they were going to be unimaginative cucks, they should have set the games after the Battle of Endor. At least in that era there's plenty of interesting stuff going on. The Republic fighting against the Imperial remnants, the various Moffs vying for power, Dark Side users popping up all over the place etc.
Vergil wrote: March 13th, 2024, 12:59
With the remaster dead and yidsney scorching the EU I wonder what future The Old Republic era has.
So long as TOR is profitable it will stay online. It's likely the one thing Disney is unlikely to fuck around with, since it's not so popular to draw their attention, yet not so unprofitable to warrant the game shutting down.
Nooneatall wrote: March 14th, 2024, 10:53
Empire bad is easy to write, easy to digest, and you can use it in almost any situation. People are too retarded for nuance
And it's such a pity. There was a real chance, decades ago, to inject a bit of nuance into the setting - first with the likes of TIE Fighter, showing things from the perspective of an imperial, and then via the Vong invasion, that implied that the military buildup Palpatine was engaging in, as well as the construction of the Death Stars, was in preparation of the extragalactic threat.
Last edited by gerey on March 14th, 2024, 11:01, edited 1 time in total.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

To be fair KOTOR II gives some nuance and then later on in the post OT era the resurgent Imperial remnant end up as one of the good guya.
Griffin

Post by Griffin »

KOTOR is shit, very forgettable and started the "Bioware Story Structure" crap with same characters they used from game to game. KOTOR 2 is much more interesting, but sadly unfinished. KOTOR is far cry from BG1 and BG2, they basically took the most boring and least interesting companions from BG2 and just wrote the same characters into KOTOR.