We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Baldur's Gate 3 isn't an RPG

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Lord of Riva

Post by Lord of Riva »

Why is Vergayl so obsessed with gay people?

I agree with the op BG3 is hardly an RPG C&C is only one of the many aspects it falls short though.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Lord of Riva wrote: March 6th, 2024, 15:48

I agree with the op BG3 is hardly an RPG C&C is only one of the many aspects it falls short though.
Didn't you admit to being willing to get ass fucked?
Incognito

Post by Incognito »

pieface wrote: March 6th, 2024, 12:05
Jordy wrote: March 6th, 2024, 12:01
How would you fix Baldur's Gate 3 to make it an RPG in your terms? What would you change specifically?
No main quest, instead, multiple unique factions and reputation systems with branching questlines
Multiple unique starting locations based on race and character creation choice
Better racial differentiation

Imagine choosing to start the game as a 'street beggar' and having a unique starting location in the city and quest line as a result.
So you wanna play World of Warcraft with faggy vampires? :smug:

(sorry Vergil)
Last edited by Incognito on March 6th, 2024, 16:10, edited 1 time in total.
Slavic Sorcerer

Post by Slavic Sorcerer »

Beats me :read:
But I like him
He's gay-approved by me

I'd disagree. BG3 is an RPG for the most part:

- your character's and companion's development affects your gameplay directly
- plenty of companions to choose from, and with them plenty of choices to be made with their backstories and quests (in short, introducing the drama to the team you can deal with)
- while the main story is not really affected much by your choices (certain events will happen regardless because they are the part of the main plot) the rest of plotlines will be
- your character and companions can be built in multiple ways
- races (as in elf, human, dwarf etc) affects your experience in both story and combat
- your background flavours the experience when appropriate, and serves as the closest pick to your backstory you might have in your head
- you can choose to play as a mass murderer
- choices can lock you out from certain experiences (like me killing Shadowheart everytime, in turn never experiencing her plot)
- Bards can earn living by playing music (not much but always), Rogues by stealing
- nothing stops you from being a murder hobo

I do agree that it holds your hand in certain aspects. You cant join forces with the Three for example
But still we make decisions with different outcomes

Genshin is a game that is not an RPG. you have no choices to make, not even flavour related that would have any meaning.

Hell, I'd argue Guild Wars 2, an MMORPG, is less of an RPG than BG3
In BG3 at least I have a choice to kill an NPC or be a dickhead

If lack of factions makes BG3 not an RPG, Warframe is an RPG then...but it's not. It lacks everything else BG3 has
Last edited by Slavic Sorcerer on March 6th, 2024, 16:42, edited 1 time in total.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

Slavic Sorcerer, in what specific ways do you like Vergil?
Gregz
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gregz »

The OP is right. Modern 'RPGs' are more or less just movies now, and bad ones at that.
Last edited by Gregz on March 6th, 2024, 17:56, edited 1 time in total.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Gregz only thinks a game is an RPG if you have the option to kill dogs in it.
Ligrev

Post by Ligrev »

Slavic Sorcerer wrote: March 6th, 2024, 16:40

But I like him
He's gay-approved by me
So... you are not the ... same person???
Gregz
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gregz »

Acrux wrote: March 6th, 2024, 17:59
Gregz only thinks a game is an RPG if you have the option to kill jews in it.
RPG is player agency and number go up. Movies don't offer that.
Lord of Riva

Post by Lord of Riva »

If lack of factions makes BG3 not an RPG, Warframe is an RPG then...but it's not. It lacks everything else BG3 has
There is a reason why "RPG" is impossible to define, when I look at the game what most stands out is a lack of complexity in nearly all it's systems, even compared to it's predecessors.

Me saying it's not really an RPG it is a facetious though, of course due to how we can't define it we can see some aspects that are often found in games we call RPGs but we can also find in games that we wouldn't (like Warframe for example)

What I see lacking is the following:

- While there is built variance (and you claiming it affects gameplay) the DnD 5 systems, both in execution but also underlying systems are simply not complex enough to affect much. They is even less variance here than in DOS2.
- While there may be a lot of Companions all of them are incredibly weird and not in a PT kind of way that is interesting, but mostly cringe paired with extremely progressive hornyness and gayness. They are not enjoyable in the least.
- Races really do not matter apart from a few dialogues, not that this is a huge chip against the game though but it's marginal at best but which game apart from arcanum did it any good?
- I don't count "being a mass murderer a part of "RPG" at all, it is however a staple for nearly all video games

All in all, as said it was a bit facetious but in the end I really do not like the game and there are loads of reasons for that outside it's wokeness, not that I would think I should exclude it.

And I like RPGs.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Gregz wrote: March 6th, 2024, 17:56
The OP is right. Modern 'RPGs' are more or less just movies now, and bad ones at that.
How would you know? You've never played it.

Would prefer anyone who has the "I know all about this game because I've read seventh-hand experiences of it" attitude to just leave the forum tbh.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

RPGs are actually really simple and easy to define when you're not being intentionally obtuse.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 6th, 2024, 18:26
Would prefer anyone who has the "I know all about this game because I've read seventh-hand experiences of it" attitude to just leave the forum tbh.
(only if your name is gregz btw)
Lord of Riva

Post by Lord of Riva »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 6th, 2024, 18:32
Tbh my obviously pretty biased perspective was not changed by playing the game. I never concluded it, stopping at act 3 after the Brothel scene with the devil and the Dryad. It had at this point long overstayed it's welcome.

I don't think I assessed the game fairly because I neither like it's wokeness, DnD 5 system nor the fact that it's called BG 3 when using that name is merely a marketing trick (that worked) but I am merely a person, my perspective is skewed and I did not enjoy the game at all.

It started well enough in the Illithid ship but went downhill from there really fast, that I tried to have a walkthrough pretending to be servants of the absolute and that one get's really heavily railroaded to fit in with the "normal" playthrough did certainly not help.

To make a long story short, I doubt if Gregz played the game, his impressions would change and he has certainly ample reasons for that. It's just my perspective on the matter though.
Last edited by Lord of Riva on March 6th, 2024, 18:41, edited 1 time in total.
Slavic Sorcerer

hilandar777 wrote: March 6th, 2024, 18:05

But I like him
He's gay-approved by me
So... you are not the ... same person???
TBH it would be hard for me to pretend to be someone without good taste :notsureif:
Last edited by Slavic Sorcerer on March 6th, 2024, 19:45, edited 1 time in total.
Gregz
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gregz »

Lord of Riva wrote: March 6th, 2024, 18:40
rusty_shackleford wrote: March 6th, 2024, 18:32
Tbh my obviously pretty biased perspective was not changed by playing the game. I never concluded it, stopping at act 3 after the Brothel scene with the devil and the Dryad. It had at this point long overstayed it's welcome.

I don't think I assessed the game fairly because I neither like it's wokeness, DnD 5 system nor the fact that it's called BG 3 when using that name is merely a marketing trick (that worked) but I am merely a person, my perspective is skewed and I did not enjoy the game at all.

It started well enough in the Illithid ship but went downhill from there really fast, that I tried to have a walkthrough pretending to be servants of the absolute and that one get's really heavily railroaded to fit in with the "normal" playthrough did certainly not help.

To make a long story short, I doubt if Gregz played the game, his impressions would change and he has certainly ample reasons for that. It's just my perspective on the matter though.
Correct. As usual, rusty's logic is flawed. I never claimed to have played BG3. I was talking about modern 'RPGs' as a whole. BG3 appears to have all of the same hallmarks of that awful trend. Maybe, perhaps, hopefully the modding crew can save it, but the jury is still out on that.
Faceless_Sentinel

Post by Faceless_Sentinel »

Okay, oldfags, tell us, newfags, what RPG or "true RPG" means and give us example of "true rpg".
BobT

Post by BobT »

Red7 wrote: March 6th, 2024, 14:12
fkirenicus wrote: March 6th, 2024, 12:45
Isn"t this the same guy that insisted women shouldn't be members in adventuring parties the other day? Still trolling strong low?
no way he said that. why not have cocksleeve sperm toilet in your party to rape and use as stress relief bag for savage beatings?
Red7, women's rights champion for gender balanced parties.
Last edited by BobT on March 6th, 2024, 20:49, edited 2 times in total.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Dead wrote: March 6th, 2024, 17:17
Erm @Slavic Sorcerer you forgot to answer this question... :read:
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

There's a few things I don't get based on these replies.

1) Are sandbox RPGs like Kenshi, Soulash, mount and blade warband, etc, not RPGs because they don't feature a main quest?

2) Are (true) roguelikes not RPGs if they don't include a main quest?

3) Do campaigns really equate to "main quests"? Sure, a campaign can be centered around a main quest given to you by someone, but often it seems a campaign is just the specific setting (time + place). A segment of caverns and dungeons, a land full of monsters, or even a large city. There might be a main threat here, or several threats, or the location is just inherently threatening.

4) Is the point of an RPG to accomplish a quest, or is a quest a means to an end to further build your character? Is a quest intrinsically their purpose, or is it a job they do for reputation, money, skills etc? On this one, typically my main goal in an RPG is to A) survive, B) become stronger, accumulate wealth and obtain better gear, and C) gain status or push my character's agendas. Maybe I am just playing them wrong though.
Faceless_Sentinel

Faceless_Sentinel wrote: March 6th, 2024, 19:53
Okay, oldfags, tell us, newfags, what RPG or "true RPG" means and give us example of "true rpg".
@rusty_shackleford @Vergil why are you guys pussy down on this? Tell us what is real rpg is!
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

@pieface what genre is BG3? Turn-Based Tactics like XCOM?
Faceless_Sentinel

Can you explain what makes it RPG or true RPG?
Element

Post by Element »

Fallout 1 played a bigger role in introducing c&c than PST, methinks; the ending slides being the cherry on the cake.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Faceless_Sentinel wrote: March 6th, 2024, 21:34
@rusty_shackleford @Vergil why are you guys pussy down on this? Tell us what is real rpg is!
Baldur's Gate 3. :goldfish:
Faceless_Sentinel

Vergil wrote: March 6th, 2024, 21:51
Faceless_Sentinel wrote: March 6th, 2024, 21:34
Baldur's Gate 3. :goldfish:
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Faceless_Sentinel wrote: March 6th, 2024, 21:42
Yes, but I choose not to.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

If it doesn't have a goal, it's not even a game, let alone a roleplaying game. The basic unit of an RPG is the campaign and, just as in a military campaign, there must be a goal. In tabletop it's possible that the party accomplishes, fails, or abandons its goal and finds a new one, but in a cRPG it's hard to be so open-ended and still have a cohesive and entertaining game.
Nammu Archag wrote: March 6th, 2024, 21:31
1) Are sandbox RPGs like Kenshi, Soulash, mount and blade warband, etc, not RPGs because they don't feature a main quest?
I assume the implicit goal in those games is to conquer the world.
Slavic Sorcerer

Dead wrote: March 6th, 2024, 17:17
I wasn't mentioned before Vergil did, nor quoted, so I missed it
TBH I don't cruise (that's also true for another type of cruising; if you know, you know :smug: ) the topics after posting a comment

To answer the question, I just like having him around
He's not retarded, which already puts him way ahead from some people :read:
Just like @ArcaneLurker, he can actually hold up a discussion + also @Vergil's banter is not insidious or at least doesn't come off as such
Gothic II: Night of the Raven
IMO Baldurs Gate 3 :goldfish:

Considering the OP's definitions, the closest one would also be Bastard Bonds
No main quest, only allies, sandbox for the most part, do whatever the fuck you want, explore the island, try to escape the island or stay there - your choice
You can even make custom avatar really easily and import it into the game

But it's a game that probably only I from all the users of "highly" esteemed HQ played :read:
So I didn't bring title this up until now

I won't say anything, check it out for yourselves
Last edited by Slavic Sorcerer on March 6th, 2024, 22:52, edited 2 times in total.