We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

What is your opinion on junk loot?

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

What is your opinion on junk loot?

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Not referring to enemies dropping equipment that isn't useful, but enemies dropping scrap that is designed to be sold.

Do you dislike this? Do you think it could be improved, or should it be scrapped?(eheh I amuse myself) :scratch:
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

If it's only dropped to be sold, I never see the point instead of just dropping money.

Wasteland 2 had a system where you could find scrap and give it to a particular ranger for more money, or break down weapons and items into components for a chance to get weapon modifications and/or additional scrap. I liked that a little better, as having one particular trader who saw more value in it made sense.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Classic D&D had trade items that were valuable but often bulky and difficult to transport and part of the challenge was getting them to an NPC to be sold. That sort of thing is neat. The only other reason I see for scrap is items that need to exist for the sake of verisimilitude but have no value to the PC. If it doesn't serve some gameplay or setting purpose, scrap is a waste of time.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Even "designated vendor trash" items have their merit, for example they may be used to flesh out the world through their text descriptions. Or sometimes it just feels nicer to loot a silver ring instead of money.

However, I strongly dislike when the game just flat out says "this item is vendor trash, don't bother thinking about it or trying to find it some use". Like in Dragon Age 2, there's an entire category in your inventory called "junk". There's even an option to autosell all junk when talking to a vendor. Why even have these items in the first place? May as well replace them with money.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 5th, 2024, 03:46
Not referring to enemies dropping equipment that isn't useful, but enemies dropping scrap that is designed to be sold.

Do you dislike this? Do you think it could be improved, or should it be scrapped?(eheh I amuse myself) :scratch:
If it makes sense for them to be carrying it in the game world. Historically, and in a reasonable setting, one of the main incentives to go to war or risk your life is the loot from corpses and the locations they defend. If you are killing bandits for coin or robbing passersbies, them having valuables to loot or coerce from them is pretty necessary and usually more interesting than just taking a few coins and junk equipment.

I think its better to kill someone, say a bandit, and find them wearing some expensive jewelry that they maybe robbed from a merchant along with some pocket change, rather than jsut a ton of coins that no bandit on duty would be carrying. It's loot vs a consolation prize
Anon

Post by Anon »

A necessary evil. Generates some boredom and tedium but is essential to a game's personality
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Acrux wrote: March 5th, 2024, 03:48
If it's only dropped to be sold, I never see the point instead of just dropping money.
What if it's something that has no business dropping money? For example, a monster.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Games that do it well though make different types of "junk" that have different values and uses depending on where you take them. And for roleplaying purposes, if you are a hunter or monster-hunter, collecting hides and teeth and venison etc, is a lot more satisfying than just getting x coins.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

If it expands the player's understanding of the lore, then it should be there. Like... in Dark Souls, there are coins you can find. They have a description that makes the player understand the greater world, and mechanical purpose, if the player decides to be an idiot and listen to Frampt.

The real problem is that most devs use junk as a method of delivering dopamine hits and attacking player immersion. For example, in Tyranny you can find all sorts of gems along the way. Gems are valuable in the real world for a reason. On Terratus... ? They're junk. Why? Nobody knows. But people do give you money for them, so... whatever, right... ?

It's the thing where you're supposed to actually be a human being and play your own game. And most devs don't.

Addendum, just because I know autistic fucks like Roguey exist: I am not attacking Dan Spitzley. I know he's a fucking legendary programmer. God bless him, and his work. Any example can be used instead of Tyranny.
Last edited by The_Mask on March 5th, 2024, 04:09, edited 1 time in total.
Ratcatcher
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ratcatcher »

Give different items dfifferent weight/value rate, make gold have weight again, give various items regional prices. There, now junk loot isn't junk anymore and you can min/max your economy. Maybe even be a trader.

Unfortunately, most players find this kind of approach very tedious. I personally like it.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

It's good in games that have an inventory weight/space system so that you have to manage your gear and how much space you're leaving left for loot.
I appreciate the addition of clutter in areas to make them feel less sterile and sometimes its fun to collect little neat (but otherwise useless) objects.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

What games did junk loot well then?
I made this thread because I was picking up random scrap metal in starwind and it wasn't very interesting. Can't tell if it's used for crafting or something tho.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 5th, 2024, 08:05
I made this thread because I was picking up random scrap metal in starwind and it wasn't very interesting. Can't tell if it's used for crafting or something tho.
Normal scrap isn't, "spare parts" are used for a quest.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Also reminds me of the absolute worst game I've played for junk loot: Encased.

Every single one of those is lootable. None of it handplaced, ofc. Each one randomly generates loot.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on March 5th, 2024, 08:15, edited 1 time in total.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 5th, 2024, 08:13
Also reminds me of the absolute worst game I've played for junk loot
looks like Divinity OS.
Ratcatcher
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ratcatcher »

Darkest Dungeon? Very simplistic but various currency items have different stacking values, some superior to plain gold, meaning you'll have to choose, at some point. Unfortunately, it fails in communicating the value of heirlooms while on the adventure, so you either memorize what you need to unlock specific hamlet sections or you end up going random anyway.

Bethesda games notoriously have very little actual gold you can find around the world, the weight/value rate of what you pick up is what makes you rich quick. Gems are good because they are very light and very valuable, it's intrinsic.
Last edited by Ratcatcher on March 5th, 2024, 08:34, edited 1 time in total.
Cedric

Post by Cedric »

If it were to have cool lore or funny descriptions I'm not against it. It worked well enough in WoW. But I'm not sure if it should take up weight unless gold also weighs things in such a scenario. If it does it might be interesting having to weigh bringing various things to sell or it might be tedious.

My intuition says it would just end up with degenerate gameplay and lore nobody reads overall.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

If your game needs junk loot to "work" then it's a shit game
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

I think that was one of the few positives of Baldur's Gate III: the gold you'd carry actually weighed you down.
Element

Post by Element »

I often find it too much of a hassle to carry the weight for what usually amounts to pitiable monetary returns.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Gothic if you consider the trophies you can learn to take from monsters and animals as junk, but almost everything in Gothic carries some kind of value. Everything except gold.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

I hate it, I'm paranoid with carrying seemingly useless items just for the chance they turn out to be useful. Then I'm at the end and realize I just have tons of junk for no reason.
BobT

Post by BobT »

Not a fan of gold weighing anything other than in hyper realistic sims. Its not like you're ever going to drop it, and I'm too much of a jew to do anything but hoard it.

Junk loot that's just meant to take up space and sell for pennies is silly too, unless it's stuff that stacks. Orc ears, furs, bear asses etc.
Junk loot that is contextual is the best. Stuff that you'd expect to find, or gives more explanation or context to the game world or area.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Hate garbage, its not needed. Everything should have a purpose.

I also enjoy weight management because it has an overall effect on game play decisions (income, party selection and development, etc...).

Acrux wrote: March 5th, 2024, 03:48

Wasteland 2 had a system where you could find scrap and give it to a particular ranger for more money, or break down weapons and items into components for a chance to get weapon modifications and/or additional scrap. I liked that a little better, as having one particular trader who saw more value in it made sense.
Yeah, I always liked Space Rangers implementation of dynamic trade. One systems junk is another systems gold.
Segata Sanshiro wrote: March 5th, 2024, 14:50
I hate it, I'm paranoid with carrying seemingly useless items just for the chance they turn out to be useful. Then I'm at the end and realize I just have tons of junk for no reason.
Make everything useful, though not identified to such. Still requires you to have thought on the matter in terms of how useful that item might be in its use, but it still requires you to consider what you take.

I am the same way in the decision, but I end up making room to carry all the trash and the result is I end up overpowering the currency in the game making purchases trivial.
Last edited by Xenich on March 5th, 2024, 15:13, edited 3 times in total.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Is there a RPG where the protag can be so dumb, that she can't shoot a gun, identify ammo, read instructions, or recognize items? You can roll a dumbfuck in Fallout, but I mean where the game says "ok wise guy" and makes it so your char can't tell what loot is, so you need to ask strangers what it is, but you can barely talk too, so you just annoy them and you nervously shoot them because you know gun scarry?
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Btw to amend my previous statement junk loot in MMOs fucking suck dick and are retarded.
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

If gold coins have weight, then there could be items that have a better value to weight ratio, like gems or diamonds.
But usually they are just kind of heavy crap. It's only worth putting in if they have some other use besides selling, like breaking down for crafting.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

If coins have weight there needs to be a coin clipper item.