We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Various role-playing RPG game stuff not deserving its own thread

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Oyster Sauce wrote: March 28th, 2024, 20:27
There's no way to fuck up so badly in Diablo 2 that it's impossible to complete the 5 acts, kill Baal, and see the end credits.
It's possible. When I was a kid I made a Barbarian and put all of my points into the jump skill—not the jump attack skill, the jump skill. I can't remember if I got stuck on Andariel or in Act II, but it was pretty early.
Last edited by WhiteShark on March 29th, 2024, 00:20, edited 1 time in total.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

WhiteShark wrote: March 28th, 2024, 23:55
There's no way to fuck up so badly in Diablo 2 that it's impossible to complete the 5 acts, kill Baal, and see the end credits.
It's possible. When I was a kid I made a Barbarian and put all of my points into the jump skill—not the jump attack skill, the jump skill. I don't think I can't remember if I got stuck on Andariel or in Act II, but it was pretty early.
What was your reasoning here?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Oyster Sauce wrote: March 28th, 2024, 23:59
WhiteShark wrote: March 28th, 2024, 23:55
It's possible. When I was a kid I made a Barbarian and put all of my points into the jump skill—not the jump attack skill, the jump skill. I don't think I can't remember if I got stuck on Andariel or in Act II, but it was pretty early.
He was a kid.
These systems exist only for people to create nonviable characters, they don't actually add anything to the game.

I'd even be fine if it was classes/subclasses you could pick but advanced users could customize. The main issue with this, however, is it seems developers never know how to play their own game. Anytime this is offered, the developer choices are complete shit.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on March 29th, 2024, 00:07, edited 1 time in total.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

WhiteShark wrote: March 29th, 2024, 00:21
IIRC it let me jump farther and I thought that was cool.
Did you ever have a trampoline as a kid?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

WhiteShark wrote: March 29th, 2024, 00:21
IIRC it let me jump farther and I thought that was cool.
That's the entire reason I picked the fighter spec in BG3 that lets you jump super far.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Vergil wrote: March 29th, 2024, 00:23
Yes. Jumping on the trampoline was one of my common leisure activities, either with friends/siblings or alone and playing out a fantasy adventure in my head.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

WhiteShark wrote: March 29th, 2024, 00:28
Yes. Jumping on the trampoline was one of my common leisure activities, either with friends/siblings or alone and playing out a fantasy adventure in my head.
Good I'm happy for you
I never had one :(
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Vergil wrote: March 29th, 2024, 00:33
WhiteShark wrote: March 29th, 2024, 00:28
Good I'm happy for you
I never had one :(
A hurricane killed mine :(
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Anon wrote: March 29th, 2024, 00:42
Is having trampoline as a kid a normal thing?
Moreso that having one as a childless adult I would imagine
Envergence

Post by Envergence »

I assume it's normal. We had a trampoline when I was growing up that we played on all the time. Although we didn't have the fancy-schmancy rich kid one with the safety cage.
► Show Spoiler
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Pretty common. My parents are divorced and both households had one, as did my cousins and some of my friends. My step-sister has one for her kids now.
OnTilt

Post by OnTilt »

Envergence wrote: March 29th, 2024, 00:47
Who knows if that had lasting consequences?
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
Envergence

Post by Envergence »

OnTilt wrote: March 29th, 2024, 01:06
Or in my case, more retarded. :)

Edit: I think the smiley I originally chose conveyed the wrong *tone, lol.
Last edited by Envergence on March 29th, 2024, 08:08, edited 2 times in total.
Anon

Post by Anon »

Envergence wrote: March 29th, 2024, 01:11
OnTilt wrote: March 29th, 2024, 01:06
Or in my case, more retarded. :melt:
You're a pretty alright guy. You might have your irl struggles but everybody does don't worry
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

I had one, all my friends had one, everyone had one. I'm sorry your childhood was so bleak.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Remember when Bethesda designed a faction with a 3D printer that could create fully sentient(?) combat trained soldiers who obeyed orders unquestioningly and could teleport anywhere they wanted at any time? And the 3D printer only took 1-2 minutes per soldier?
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Oyster Sauce wrote: April 1st, 2024, 00:31
Remember when Bethesda designed a faction with a 3D printer that could create fully sentient(?) combat trained soldiers who obeyed orders unquestioningly and could teleport anywhere they wanted at any time? And the 3D printer only took 1-2 minutes per soldier?
Paper penis ripper
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Remember when Bioware made the exact same Corrupt Fantasy Races Zombie Bad Guys twice just a couple of years apart?

Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

Oyster Sauce wrote: April 10th, 2024, 10:10
Remember when Bioware made the exact same Corrupt Fantasy Races Zombie Bad Guys twice just a couple of years apart?

I remember back in the early days of working on “Dragon Age: Origins” (before that was even its title) when I was asked to make the new game’s setting. It’s not the sort of task one gets assigned very often, and in this case it didn’t come with a lot of direction beyond ‘make something fantasy-ish…but your version of fantasy’. Lead Designer James Ohlen and I had chatted about some of the possibilities, after which I went off and made a world in the time-honored fashion of any nerd who grew up playing D&D: with a bunch of crudely-drawn maps on napkins and reams of text filled with enough twee-sounding proper nouns to make your head spin.

I’d really warmed up to the task, after some initial trepidation. This was going to be my subversion of the fantasy genre, a world that was in the aftermath of its ‘Lord of the Rings’ era where dragons were dead and magic was waning. I could take all the tropes I disliked about fantasy as a genre and turn them on their head, say something about the genre itself! I was psyched.

James was less psyched, as it turned out. “Where’s the magic?” he asked, after which I quickly learned the difference between creating a setting that made for interesting reading on the page and one that made for something around which you could build an interesting game. I grudgingly began to iterate based on his feedback, inching towards the version of the Dragon Age setting fans are familiar with today…but there was one change he wanted which didn’t sit very well with me: he wanted an “evil horde”, some ubiquitous enemy like the standard fantasy orcs which the player wouldn’t feel bad about killing. Dragon Age fans will recognize this role as what eventually became the darkspawn — but, back then, they simply didn’t exist. There was no such thing in the world I’d created.

I’ll admit: I balked. It ran smack against the very theme I’d tried to establish. I didn’t want to figure out how to do it, I just didn’t want to do it. I made arguments, I whined, I even made a couple of proposals which were so obviously stupid I was inwardly hoping they’d illustrate why the entire idea was bad. You know, the sort of things which undoubtedly made James question both my professionalism and my competence, and which he rightfully dismissed out of hand.

So I tried. I sat down and, rather than imagining all the ways in which adding orcs was the worst decision in all of human history, I instead tried to figure out if there was a version of orcs that…maybe I wouldn’t mind so much. Eventually I thought of an idea where these weren’t sentient monsters so much as a plague, a reoccurring event that threatened the world on an irregular basis in the same manner the Thread threatened Anne McCaffrey’s Pern (my nerd roots are showing, pardon me). That…that wouldn’t be so bad, would it? In fact, I could think of several spin-offs that would be kind of interesting for the setting’s history, a sort of periodic “purge” which would make for more interesting reading than a litany of “king X did Y” entries.

So I asked James: would it be okay if, instead of orcs, I did this “living plague” idea I was more excited about? I don’t remember his actual response, but it boiled down to “yes, I am indeed okay with you doing an implementation you will make interesting rather than the one you would make boring and crappy.”
tl;dr in the 00s, liberal writers had come to realization that evil races were Problematic, but game directors really wanted evil hordes that players could kill en masse without guilt, hence fantasy/sci-fi zombies.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

I could take all the tropes I disliked about fantasy as a genre and turn them on their head, say something about the genre itself! I was psyched.
I hate these people.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Roguey wrote: April 17th, 2024, 13:26

I remember back in the early days of working on “Dragon Age: Origins” (before that was even its title) when I was asked to make the new game’s setting. It’s not the sort of task one gets assigned very often, and in this case it didn’t come with a lot of direction beyond ‘make something fantasy-ish…but your version of fantasy’. Lead Designer James Ohlen and I had chatted about some of the possibilities, after which I went off and made a world in the time-honored fashion of any nerd who grew up playing D&D: with a bunch of crudely-drawn maps on napkins and reams of text filled with enough twee-sounding proper nouns to make your head spin.

I’d really warmed up to the task, after some initial trepidation. This was going to be my subversion of the fantasy genre, a world that was in the aftermath of its ‘Lord of the Rings’ era where dragons were dead and magic was waning. I could take all the tropes I disliked about fantasy as a genre and turn them on their head, say something about the genre itself! I was psyched.

James was less psyched, as it turned out. “Where’s the magic?” he asked, after which I quickly learned the difference between creating a setting that made for interesting reading on the page and one that made for something around which you could build an interesting game. I grudgingly began to iterate based on his feedback, inching towards the version of the Dragon Age setting fans are familiar with today…but there was one change he wanted which didn’t sit very well with me: he wanted an “evil horde”, some ubiquitous enemy like the standard fantasy orcs which the player wouldn’t feel bad about killing. Dragon Age fans will recognize this role as what eventually became the darkspawn — but, back then, they simply didn’t exist. There was no such thing in the world I’d created.

I’ll admit: I balked. It ran smack against the very theme I’d tried to establish. I didn’t want to figure out how to do it, I just didn’t want to do it. I made arguments, I whined, I even made a couple of proposals which were so obviously stupid I was inwardly hoping they’d illustrate why the entire idea was bad. You know, the sort of things which undoubtedly made James question both my professionalism and my competence, and which he rightfully dismissed out of hand.

So I tried. I sat down and, rather than imagining all the ways in which adding orcs was the worst decision in all of human history, I instead tried to figure out if there was a version of orcs that…maybe I wouldn’t mind so much. Eventually I thought of an idea where these weren’t sentient monsters so much as a plague, a reoccurring event that threatened the world on an irregular basis in the same manner the Thread threatened Anne McCaffrey’s Pern (my nerd roots are showing, pardon me). That…that wouldn’t be so bad, would it? In fact, I could think of several spin-offs that would be kind of interesting for the setting’s history, a sort of periodic “purge” which would make for more interesting reading than a litany of “king X did Y” entries.

So I asked James: would it be okay if, instead of orcs, I did this “living plague” idea I was more excited about? I don’t remember his actual response, but it boiled down to “yes, I am indeed okay with you doing an implementation you will make interesting rather than the one you would make boring and crappy.”
tl;dr in the 00s, liberal writers had come to realization that evil races were Problematic, but game directors really wanted evil hordes that players could kill en masse without guilt, hence fantasy/sci-fi zombies.

I've caught Gayder lying before, and I will catch him again. He has repeatedly rewritten history to make himself look better. He is a snake of a man who will throw anyone under the bus to further his own appearances and/or career. He has repeatedly reinterpreted his past through a modern lens and rewritten or excluded the parts he dislikes.

How do I know this?
Because there is what is essentially a lawful evil race of humanoids in Dragon Age: Origins — The Qunari! The same race Gayder has gone back and lied about prior, claiming there was no real world influence upon their design despite having to completely scrap the DAO race and make a new one with the same name.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 17th, 2024, 13:55
Roguey wrote: April 17th, 2024, 13:26

I've caught Gayder lying before, and I will catch him again. He has repeatedly rewritten history to make himself look better. He is a snake of a man who will throw anyone under the bus to further his own appearances and/or career. He has repeatedly reinterpreted his past through a modern lens and rewritten or excluded the parts he dislikes.

How do I know this?
Because there is what is essentially a lawful evil race of humanoids in Dragon Age: Origins — The Qunari! The same race Gayder has gone back and lied about prior, claiming there was no real world influence upon their design despite having to completely scrap the DAO race and make a new one with the same name.
Wish they didn't scrap his idea for the race of greedy schemers called the Tohari
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 17th, 2024, 13:55

How do I know this?
Wouldn't really call the qunari evil. Sten had a fit of murder-rage because he lost his sword, but he's a good guy. They want everyone to be a part of their religion, but it's not an evil religion worshiping some dark god, just weird and rigid.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Roguey wrote: April 17th, 2024, 15:03
. Sten had a fit of murder-rage because he lost his sword, but he's a good guy.
Absolutely not. That is lawful evil shit.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 17th, 2024, 15:04
Absolutely not. That is lawful evil shit.
It was a burst of chaos he feels bad about. They impose these harsh laws on themselves to quell their violent impulses.