We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

What is your opinion on challenge in gameplay? What makes a game challenging?

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
Vic

Post by Vic »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 19th, 2023, 09:14
Exactly which MMORPGs have you done hard content in for comparison?
I recently did RS10 in wotlk, while far, far, from the hardest content in the game, I got my ass kicked for a good 4 hours on my first attempt. Funny story, I joined the raid as a newbie healer, after we wiped a few left and I volunteered to lead the raid (LOL), anyway I was trying to beat the boss for a good 4 hours, constantly rotating in players as it was a PUG raid. It was probably my fault because I was one of two healers and was responsible for dispelling the boss's debuff. Thing is, the raid leader told me where to stand on the first try, and I've been fixating on his instructions, which were actually not ideal, and kept dying to an insta-kill death ray. It did feel good to finally beat the boss recently, and wasn't really hard coming in with some experience under my belt and a fresh mind.

Anyway, like I said, all of this is action gameplay, don't stand in the fire, time your spells right etc. Comparing it to real RPGs is apples and oranges.

Besides, I was talking about doing quests and grinds in MMOs, not about endgame content.
Vic

Post by Vic »

It was quite embarrassing and what helped me over the edge to unplug myself from the game for a couple months :P Came back to it recently, killed that boss that was giving me nightmares, and didn't really feel like playing anymore.
Vic

Post by Vic »

that and well, I was doing that raid on our 5 year anniversary, completely forgot about that :P she decided not to mention either seeing how I was so glued to the game.