We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Baldur's Gate 3 versions - which to use?

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
fkirenicus

Baldur's Gate 3 versions - which to use?

Post by fkirenicus »

Can I ask a question about versions here? I downloaded the game around christmas '23 and have been using that version ever since, GOG v4.1.1.4251417.
I have downloaded - but not installed - the latest version also, which as far as I can see is GOG v4.1.1.4811634.

Is there any reason to upgrade mid-game (I am just about to start Moonrise Towers)? Or should I wait until a new playthrough?
Also, I've read bits about Larian going to "war" against modders with the latest version/s, should I simply stick to the version I am using now all the same?

Tags:
OnTilt

Post by OnTilt »

I would disregard the bit about Larian "going to war" with modders. That's just Nexus trannies whining.

I'm on the same version as you and am waiting to update until I see something worth the hassle. Outside of the Shield Bash bug and one of the Polearm Mastery bugs being fixed there doesn't seem to be anything that actually affects gameplay. They're too worried about fixing lesbian kissing animations or something.
fkirenicus

Post by fkirenicus »

OnTilt wrote: March 1st, 2024, 08:58
I would disregard the bit about Larian "going to war" with modders. That's just Nexus trannies whining.
What are they arguing about then, really? I have been playing and enjoying the game, not engaging in Nexus politics for the last few months... :D
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

fkirenicus wrote: March 1st, 2024, 09:10
What are they arguing about then, really? I have been playing and enjoying the game, not engaging in Nexus politics for the last few months... :D
They're angry because the developer of one of the best selling video games released in 2023 makes frequent updates to address bugs without first consulting them for the right to release updates for their game.
Rinso

Post by Rinso »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 1st, 2024, 09:12
fkirenicus wrote: March 1st, 2024, 09:10
They're angry because the developer of one of the best selling video games released in 2023 makes frequent updates to address bugs without first consulting them for the right to release updates for their game.
You're telling me the people who demand we all subscribe to their make believe play are throwing a tantrum when people don't treat them like the whole world revolves around them?

I am shocked, sir, shocked!
Analogue Dreams

Post by Analogue Dreams »

They're also upset Larian doesn't police their Discord server more since they want Larian to spend less time fixing bugs and more time on Discord, just like Nexus modders.

I'd say it's worth patching, they finally fixed some bugs that were long overdue like the PAM opportunity attack bug, and plus there's some other nice changes like to swapping out companions. But they're small, so if you don't care, you can ignore it. Mods are basically all updated. If you want to be cautious, update only to the second to last update which is Patch 6 without Hotfix 6, since the hotfix after the major patch is what broke some mods. I ignored the hotfix since it doesn't do much.
fkirenicus

Post by fkirenicus »

Thank'ee folks. :-)
What I have noticed on PS5, where I pretty much have to update the game whether I want to or not, is that yes - I can swap out companions, but also I cannot distribute stuff directly to non-party members anymore. So, everything has to go via the camp chest, and by the time I get there, I have forgotten what I sent and who it was meant for.... :P
So far (Act 3 Rivington on PS5, Act 2 Moonrise Towers on PC) I haven't seen anything that has made me "wow, I gotta update!" my PC game... So, I think I'll at least finish the current (1st) playthrough on PC before I update the game on that platform.
BobT

Post by BobT »

fkirenicus wrote: March 1st, 2024, 08:48
Can I ask a question about versions here? I downloaded the game around christmas '23 and have been using that version ever since, GOG v4.1.1.4251417.
I have downloaded - but not installed - the latest version also, which as far as I can see is GOG v4.1.1.4811634.

Is there any reason to upgrade mid-game (I am just about to start Moonrise Towers)? Or should I wait until a new playthrough?
Also, I've read bits about Larian going to "war" against modders with the latest version/s, should I simply stick to the version I am using now all the same?
Didn't you have a problem with the cats? This is probably why..
Last edited by BobT on March 2nd, 2024, 05:47, edited 1 time in total.
loregamer

Post by loregamer »

v4.1.1.4811634.
That's the latest version (Hotfix 19). You're good to go. Don't listen to the Open Faerun faggots, everything's gonna be fine LOL. Just make sure your game doesn't auto-update to the next patch and go hogwild.
Last edited by loregamer on March 2nd, 2024, 05:40, edited 2 times in total.
fkirenicus

Post by fkirenicus »

BobT wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 04:38

Didn't you have a problem with the cats? This is probably why..
Uh, no, I don't think so, because I never updated. ;-)
I reinstalled the same version and voila - cat problems gone. :toot:
n3IVI0

Post by n3IVI0 »

I want to play on Mac, so it's Patch 6 Hotfix 20 for me. As long as it doesn't break any of the mods on here, or my British narrator, I'm good.