We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

[BG3] Help with Karlach's Body mod

Game development hub. Projects, modding, and resources.
MadRussian

[BG3] Help with Karlach's Body mod

Post by MadRussian »

It's this one:

https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/5204

This mod is driving me up the fucking wall. It works, then it does not. And I have no idea why, it's a simple texture override. For what it's worth, it appears that updates to various interface mods (ImprovedUI and paulk's various mods) have a 50/50 chance to make this mod stop working. But it makes no sense, the UI mods are modifying completely different parts of the game. Specifically, it's the No Scars part that stops working randomly.

I tried messing with the mod files (add to load order, remove from load order - it technically doesn't need to be in the load order because it's a straight override). Tried extracting the loose files and placing them into the BG3 folder structure. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It makes no goddamn sense. Can someone who actually understands how to mod this daft game help me out?
orinEsque

Post by orinEsque »

MadRussian wrote: February 29th, 2024, 22:55
It's this one:

https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/5204

This mod is driving me up the fucking wall. It works, then it does not. And I have no idea why, it's a simple texture override. For what it's worth, it appears that updates to various interface mods (ImprovedUI and paulk's various mods) have a 50/50 chance to make this mod stop working. But it makes no sense, the UI mods are modifying completely different parts of the game. Specifically, it's the No Scars part that stops working randomly.

I tried messing with the mod files (add to load order, remove from load order - it technically doesn't need to be in the load order because it's a straight override). Tried extracting the loose files and placing them into the BG3 folder structure. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It makes no goddamn sense. Can someone who actually understands how to mod this daft game help me out?
I have a feeling the author didn't edit all of Karlach's visual files, so I expect it to show in some places, and not show in others.

Real question is. Is it truly random?
Last edited by orinEsque on March 1st, 2024, 21:20, edited 1 time in total.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

I phrased it badly (perhaps). "Random" refers to "today I updated a random UI mod (i.e. one of paulk's), and Karlach looks like a badly done steak again." Updates to other mods randomly seem to cause this. Also, I know exactly what you're referring to - the original scar removal mod had the issue whereby Karlach's scars would reappear randomly throughout the session. Not this one though, it either works fine or doesn't work at all.

Here's the funniest bit though. I resolved it (for now at least) by extracting loose files into the game's folder structure. And it worked. Definition of insanity - try the same thing twice and expect a different outcome, right? except in this case the outcome is in fact different.

I don't know what to make of this.
orinEsque

Post by orinEsque »

MadRussian wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 22:33
I phrased it badly (perhaps). "Random" refers to "today I updated a random UI mod (i.e. one of paulk's), and Karlach looks like a badly done steak again." Updates to other mods randomly seem to cause this. Also, I know exactly what you're referring to - the original scar removal mod had the issue whereby Karlach's scars would reappear randomly throughout the session. Not this one though, it either works fine or doesn't work at all.

Here's the funniest bit though. I resolved it (for now at least) by extracting loose files into the game's folder structure. And it worked. Definition of insanity - try the same thing twice and expect a different outcome, right? except in this case the outcome is in fact different.

I don't know what to make of this.
sounds like a load order issue to me. Like for example if NoAlphabets Aesthetics isn't given higher load order vs a conflicting mod, Dame Aylin randomly shows up while you have Ser Aylin installed. Screenshot your load order just in case
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

It's not in the load order at all due to being an override. But I also tried allowing it in the load order and loading it at the very bottom and it didn't help.
Thanks for your help and theories BTW, I really appreciate this. I know this is a daft-as-hell issue. Anyway it's working now... would just be nice to know what breaks it.