We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Thoughts on MMO gaming and endurance play

For RPGs that require a persistently online connection.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

BlastedAgain wrote: March 6th, 2024, 10:19
Also, non-MMO like Monster Hunter, I think it's stupid to have to fight one enemy for 40+ minutes and if you die you get nothing out of it and have to do it all over again with less resources, it's a fine game outside of those fights but goddamn.
I have yet to play a Monster Hunter game where any fight legitimately took 40+ minutes even when you know what you're doing. Maybe if you were severely undergeared, I guess. I also don't consider it endurance play because it's an action game throughout, not a bar-management game.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

BlastedAgain wrote: March 6th, 2024, 10:19
One of my biggest issue with MMOs for sure, I don't want to sit there and babysit retards for hours who have the memory of a goldfish and die to shit that was already explained twice when they died to it 5 times the past 20 minutes, there's still 15 minute left in the fight to learn! Also, non-MMO like Monster Hunter, I think it's stupid to have to fight one enemy for 40+ minutes and if you die you get nothing out of it and have to do it all over again with less resources, it's a fine game outside of those fights but goddamn.
I am not fond of raiding these days, I did a lot of raid leading in EQ, but then the crowd that came with WoW caused me to move on from it (The whining about pointless tripe became unbearable). Small groups are better fitting, and I usually only ran with friends with the occasional pick up so we could control the direction and rules of the grouping.

The length in EQ wasn't bad for group encounters. The longest part was getting to the boss room, but group bosses did have the chance to drop nothing. Not a big issue because it was spawn timer based (I think around 20-30 mins), so it wasn't too bad. Raid encounters though took anywhere from 35-75 people (depending on if people were zerging an encounter) and the fights could be quite long, but they always dropped loot (normally a few main items along with lesser rare components for crafting and quests). If they had a chance to drop nothing, I don't think I would have bothered with raiding.

Risk vs Reward was always the need of balance and that translated to time spent + difficulty resulting in some reward of fair value. I really disliked the grind MMOs because their vision of that model was always massive grinds with small reward. Granted, this was more appreciated by some people who preferred difficulty to be masked by it and so a lot of MMO systems seemed to adopt it, which is why I got bored with a lot of MMOs as the rewards were just the Asian MMO mega grinds.

I never tried monster hunter, I thought it interesting due to the boss mechanics, but still have that opinion that if the fight is difficult and takes time and effort, there had better be some prize at the end of equal value or its just an act of fruition for me personally. I guess it was playing most of the early arcade games that cured me of the desire to set and test myself to some accomplishment as a reward and why I always enjoyed the older RPG systems in their exploration and reward systems.
Last edited by Xenich on March 6th, 2024, 15:47, edited 1 time in total.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 6th, 2024, 15:39
monster hunter games are crap btw
This is the same guy who thinks Morrowind combat is good.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

WhiteShark wrote: March 6th, 2024, 15:55
rusty_shackleford wrote: March 6th, 2024, 15:39
monster hunter games are crap btw
This is the same guy who thinks Morrowind combat is good.
Morrowind combat is good. Level your combat skills pleb.